Nipple Guards

step@atime
step@atime Member Posts: 17
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Having nipple reconstruction tomorrow with minor scar revision. I am having MAJOR apprehension about the nipple guards. I don't know at all what to expect. I have heard "very uncomfortable" and "minor inconvenience." Will I look like Madonna until Monday? How in the world will I attend the Little League Machine Pitch district tourney Saturday without looking like I'm "at attention"? I REALLY don't want high profile nipples. Are the guards just to keep them "perky"?

Help! Scheduled for noon on Thurs 6/17/10. One year and one day after the removal of my tumor and one week before my diagnosis. Wow-been a fast road.

Comments

• SamuraiMom
    SamuraiMom Member Posts: 295
    Me too...
    I'm doing this on Saturday...let me know how it goes.

We'll be okay...I know it!

My doc described the guards like Monopoly board hotels. Said they don't stay on for very long.

Also said in the beginning the nips look way too large and they shrink significantly during healing.

Keep me posted!

Good luck!

xxoo,
    SamuraiMom
  • step@atime
    step@atime Member Posts: 17

Me too...
    I'm doing this on Saturday...let me know how it goes.

We'll be okay...I know it!

My doc described the guards like Monopoly board hotels. Said they don't stay on for very long.

Also said in the beginning the nips look way too large and they shrink significantly during healing.

Keep me posted!

Good luck!

xxoo,
    SamuraiMom

Not too bad
    It really hasn't been too bad. I am starting to feel a little swelling (kind of sore) about nine hours later. My doc uses 1 cm. tall pieces of syringe tubing (the part the liquid goes in) that have been cut around the nipple then covered it with gauze. That is to keep the nipple from collapsing under pressure from your gauze, shirt, etc.

I look a little like Madonna but think they will be easy to cover and "camoflage" for baseball games this weekend. I should get them off on Monday.

Good luck to you. You'll do great. After everything we've been through, this really has been a walk in the park. Oh, and I'm not really having pain. It feels kind of like a carpet burn (well, what I think a carpet burn would feel like "there") :-)

<3,
    Step@atime
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member

Not too bad
    It really hasn't been too bad. I am starting to feel a little swelling (kind of sore) about nine hours later. My doc uses 1 cm. tall pieces of syringe tubing (the part the liquid goes in) that have been cut around the nipple then covered it with gauze. That is to keep the nipple from collapsing under pressure from your gauze, shirt, etc.

I look a little like Madonna but think they will be easy to cover and "camoflage" for baseball games this weekend. I should get them off on Monday.

Good luck to you. You'll do great. After everything we've been through, this really has been a walk in the park. Oh, and I'm not really having pain. It feels kind of like a carpet burn (well, what I think a carpet burn would feel like "there") :-)

<3,
    Step@atime</p>

Good luck to both of you!

• Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000

Wishing you both good luck!

Hugs, Megan
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Megan M said:

Hugs, Megan

Ladies thanks for bring up this subject ..
    Nipple guards .. never of heard of them .. but I will sure ask about them on Friday at my next 'fill up' and PS appointment.

We all learn something new everyday!

VickiSam