mouth sores from chemo

heidijez
heidijez Member Posts: 441
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Help! Last time around, I didn't have this problem, but with the new chemo, my mouth (and throat and tongue) are raw and sore! I have been using baking soda and water as recommended by onc nurse - but am wondering if there is anything else that can give me some relief. Thanks!

Comments

• TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Biotene mouthwash
    Heidi,

My oncologist suggested I use Biotene mouthwash, from the drugstore, and I can't recommend it highly enough. It's not expensive, and has a very pleasant, mild, mint taste. Very soothing.

There's also a prescription mouthwash you oncologist can prescribe for you, if the Biotene doesn't do it.

Traci
  • greyhoundluvr
    greyhoundluvr Member Posts: 402
    Heidijez
    I agree with Traci. I used the Biotene also the last round and it seemed to moisturize better (they also have gum and toothpaste). When I was doing the self-made stuff, I used a teaspoon of baking soda, a teaspoon of salt and a small glass of water. That seemed to work well but I liked the Biotene better. I usually started before my chemo and kept it up for about 10 days after and used it mornings, evenings and after meals. Usually if it is too bad, they will call in Magic Mouthwash for you which is a prescription. I only got mouth sores once so hopefully it will be a one time problem for you, too! Hope it goes away quickly!
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Mouth relief
    I used a prescription called Nystatin........I used it regularly and never experienced any mouth sores.......did have a sore throat, though.....this sort of numbs the mouth.....I was told to keep it refigerated...you can use it every 4 hours....you rinse and spit.....perhaps you could ask about this......Hoping you feel better.....
  • bluwillo
    bluwillo Member Posts: 113

Heidijez
    I agree with Traci. I used the Biotene also the last round and it seemed to moisturize better (they also have gum and toothpaste). When I was doing the self-made stuff, I used a teaspoon of baking soda, a teaspoon of salt and a small glass of water. That seemed to work well but I liked the Biotene better. I usually started before my chemo and kept it up for about 10 days after and used it mornings, evenings and after meals. Usually if it is too bad, they will call in Magic Mouthwash for you which is a prescription. I only got mouth sores once so hopefully it will be a one time problem for you, too! Hope it goes away quickly!

I did the homemade stuff
    And kept it in a pretty jar in the bathroom. Everytime I went in there, I rinsed and gargled. The only time I got a sore throat was when I forgot to start rinsing. I would usually use it for one week, starting with chemo day. It was fabulous!

The most important part was finding the perfect jar. I had a juice pitcher from the 50's, like Gramma used to have. It was very important to me that I use THAT jar...it was part of my pre-chemo prep.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    MAJW said:

Mouth relief
    I used a prescription called Nystatin........I used it regularly and never experienced any mouth sores.......did have a sore throat, though.....this sort of numbs the mouth.....I was told to keep it refigerated...you can use it every 4 hours....you rinse and spit.....perhaps you could ask about this......Hoping you feel better.....

nystatin is for yeast
    nystatin is for yeast (thrush) is your tongue white? I used peridex it is prescription. also the abouve recipe, and biotene when my mouth was tacky and dry. My throat did hurt and I wondered if it was the thrush (I had that every treatment, took the nystatin and it was gone in 5 days) no mouth sores thought. Mama G chewed on ice cubes during infusion, and it worked for her.
  • JanInMN
    JanInMN Member Posts: 149
    Mine were really bad. I was
    Mine were really bad. I was prescribed magic mouthwash and when that wasn't enough, liquid lidocaine to numb it up. I only had mouth sores with my first round. After that, I got Neulasta shots after each round, and never had them again. Good luck!
    Jan
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    JanInMN said:

Mine were really bad. I was
    Mine were really bad. I was prescribed magic mouthwash and when that wasn't enough, liquid lidocaine to numb it up. I only had mouth sores with my first round. After that, I got Neulasta shots after each round, and never had them again. Good luck!
    Jan

Magic Mouthwash helped me,
    Magic Mouthwash helped me, ask your doc for a prescription
  • step@atime
    step@atime Member Posts: 17
    homemade remedy that a pharmacist can tweak
    For regular mouth sores (had them off and on since I was little, son has them too) the doc has us mix equal parts of Maalox (or Mylanta) and children's liquid Benadryl. You can talk to your oncologist. Mine gave me a prescription for a swish and rinse/swish and spit that was a combination of Mylanta, Benadryl, lydocaine, nystatin, and some kind of mild steroid. You can swish and spit pretty often or swish and swallow every four hours. It really numbs your throat, so I wouldn't recommend taking it right before you eat, but it was AMAZING!!!! You might try the Benadryl/Mylanta first, then ask the doc about the other if it isn't quite enough.
  • dianebraun
    dianebraun Member Posts: 51
    carkris said:

nystatin is for yeast
    nystatin is for yeast (thrush) is your tongue white? I used peridex it is prescription. also the abouve recipe, and biotene when my mouth was tacky and dry. My throat did hurt and I wondered if it was the thrush (I had that every treatment, took the nystatin and it was gone in 5 days) no mouth sores thought. Mama G chewed on ice cubes during infusion, and it worked for her.

I'm a dental hygienist, for
    I'm a dental hygienist, for what it's worth. Nystatin is for fungal infections, or thrush. Peridex, aka chlorihexidine, does have some anti-fungal qualities. Peridex kills about 70% of the bacteria in your mouth, the good with the bad. Unfortunately, the bad wants to come back first, and the chemo does the immunosuppression thing, so it probably isn't good to use it every day. This is what works for me: 2 days before chemo, I swish with peridex for about 30 seconds - one minute. I continue for about 5 days and then I stop until the next chemo. My chemo is every 3 weeks. It does "just enough" to keep the fungal infections away, and kills enough bacteria to not have to worry about something worse occuring. Biotene does help dry mouth, but it doesn't have the anti-fungal benefit. Avoid tarter control toothpaste because it can cause mouth irritations without having chemo. Perhaps use the mild toothpaste for kids, like Sponge Bob by Colgate. Avoid salsa and spicy stuff too. Hope this helps.
  • grandmasueb
    grandmasueb Member Posts: 49

homemade remedy that a pharmacist can tweak
    For regular mouth sores (had them off and on since I was little, son has them too) the doc has us mix equal parts of Maalox (or Mylanta) and children's liquid Benadryl. You can talk to your oncologist. Mine gave me a prescription for a swish and rinse/swish and spit that was a combination of Mylanta, Benadryl, lydocaine, nystatin, and some kind of mild steroid. You can swish and spit pretty often or swish and swallow every four hours. It really numbs your throat, so I wouldn't recommend taking it right before you eat, but it was AMAZING!!!! You might try the Benadryl/Mylanta first, then ask the doc about the other if it isn't quite enough.

I also used the Biotene
    I also used the Biotene mouthwash I crunched on ice chips while the gave me the adreimicin which helped alot.
  • heidijez
    heidijez Member Posts: 441
    thank you all
    the biotene does seem to help, i don't feel as "raw" there are still some nasty sores on the inside of my right cheek, i am calling my dr. as soon as i post this. thank you for all your help ; )
  • Balentine
    Balentine Member Posts: 393
    heidijez said:

thank you all
    the biotene does seem to help, i don't feel as "raw" there are still some nasty sores on the inside of my right cheek, i am calling my dr. as soon as i post this. thank you for all your help ; )

brush your teeth with baking soda or biotene toothpaste
    I had prob the first chemo and used baking soda to brush my teeth most of the time. I put some biotene toothpaste on the toothbrush and then sprinkled baking soda on the toothbrush several times when brushing and that really helped.
    Lorrie