Advice need for Taxol and Herceptin

Options
joan_doyle
joan_doyle Member Posts: 29
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi Gals,
Just looking for advice on Taxol and herceptin - has anyone had side effects and what to expect ??? - will be starting this shortly -
heading for pet/ct scan Monday and then talk with onc to see how the A/C work on the dreaded beast
Cheers Joan

Comments

• tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    hi
    After my lumpectomy I had taxol/herceptin ... and in my opinion ... it was much easier than I expected. The first thing is the port. I don't think I could have done it without the port. And ... the whole chemo thing was much easier than I expected. I had absolutely NO (!!) nausea. I did have other side effects but they were all very doable. On day 15 of chemo I started losing my hair (just went to a friend and told her to shave it all off so I didn't need to mess with it) ... and I developed a rash on my back and the tops of my hands ... but the oncologist sent me to a dermatologist who prescribed stuff that took care of that. Constipation was a problem throughout the whole thing. Fatigue also got to me ... but I was still able to work full time ... I just went to bed around 8:30 to get enough sleep. There were some foods that I craved that I never like before ... and then there were foods that I normally liked but didn't want to eat during those weeks/months. To be honest with you ... the worst part of the whole thing was chemo brain. It is real... and it is very frustrating. It's normal ... but still very upsetting. There probably be times when you stuggle to concentrate on things ... or find the words to describe something ... ot just totally lose your train of thought. I honestly felt as though I was becomming incompetant. As I said ... I worked full time ... and I remember one day sitting at my computer for 10 minutes looking for the question mark ... and I finally got myself so upset I had to go to the restroom and pull myself together. Thank goodness the people I work with were very patient. I'd ask the same question over and over ... and I'd make notes to myself ... but then when I went back to read my notes I had no idea what I meant. But ... you'll get through it.

We're all here for you ...

hugs.
    teena
  • joan_doyle
    joan_doyle Member Posts: 29
    Options
    tgf said:

hi
    After my lumpectomy I had taxol/herceptin ... and in my opinion ... it was much easier than I expected. The first thing is the port. I don't think I could have done it without the port. And ... the whole chemo thing was much easier than I expected. I had absolutely NO (!!) nausea. I did have other side effects but they were all very doable. On day 15 of chemo I started losing my hair (just went to a friend and told her to shave it all off so I didn't need to mess with it) ... and I developed a rash on my back and the tops of my hands ... but the oncologist sent me to a dermatologist who prescribed stuff that took care of that. Constipation was a problem throughout the whole thing. Fatigue also got to me ... but I was still able to work full time ... I just went to bed around 8:30 to get enough sleep. There were some foods that I craved that I never like before ... and then there were foods that I normally liked but didn't want to eat during those weeks/months. To be honest with you ... the worst part of the whole thing was chemo brain. It is real... and it is very frustrating. It's normal ... but still very upsetting. There probably be times when you stuggle to concentrate on things ... or find the words to describe something ... ot just totally lose your train of thought. I honestly felt as though I was becomming incompetant. As I said ... I worked full time ... and I remember one day sitting at my computer for 10 minutes looking for the question mark ... and I finally got myself so upset I had to go to the restroom and pull myself together. Thank goodness the people I work with were very patient. I'd ask the same question over and over ... and I'd make notes to myself ... but then when I went back to read my notes I had no idea what I meant. But ... you'll get through it.

We're all here for you ...

hugs.
    teena

Just to say Big thank you
    Just to say a big thank you for the advice. I was reading up on side effects and was getting into a state worrying about the effects on the heart now I think if is just relax and take it in my stride.
    Already had A/C chemo so no hair no eyebrows at the moment and the Chemo brain well i can relate to that?? again thank you for advice and for being there teena hope all is going well for you Cheers for now Joan
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options

Just to say Big thank you
    Just to say a big thank you for the advice. I was reading up on side effects and was getting into a state worrying about the effects on the heart now I think if is just relax and take it in my stride.
    Already had A/C chemo so no hair no eyebrows at the moment and the Chemo brain well i can relate to that?? again thank you for advice and for being there teena hope all is going well for you Cheers for now Joan

I didn't have chemo Joan,
    I didn't have chemo Joan, but, just wanted to wish you good luck!

Sue :)
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    Ritzy said:

I didn't have chemo Joan,
    I didn't have chemo Joan, but, just wanted to wish you good luck!

Sue :)

I agree with TGF .. however, I was given
    Taxol, Herception and Carbo for 18 weeks straight .. no breaks ... every Tuesday at 9:00 a.m. so I am jaded when I say THERE ARE SIDE EFFORTS.

Will you be getting the Neulasta shot? If so, please read the threads regarding Clariton as a possible help with side efforts associated with Neulasta.

Fatigue and Chemo brain .. are real, as is hair loss.

Be good to yourself, and rest whenever possible.

God Bless ..

VickiSam
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    VickiSam said:

I agree with TGF .. however, I was given
    Taxol, Herception and Carbo for 18 weeks straight .. no breaks ... every Tuesday at 9:00 a.m. so I am jaded when I say THERE ARE SIDE EFFORTS.

Will you be getting the Neulasta shot? If so, please read the threads regarding Clariton as a possible help with side efforts associated with Neulasta.

Fatigue and Chemo brain .. are real, as is hair loss.

Be good to yourself, and rest whenever possible.

God Bless ..

VickiSam

Good luck Joan!
    Hugs, Leeza

Good luck Joan!

Hugs, Leeza