Medical tape

Menda
Menda Member Posts: 128
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am very allergic to medical tape, it takes my skin off. I plan on telling my surgeon at pre-op visit. What are the other options and how big of a complication does this create?

Comments

• cavediver
    cavediver Member Posts: 607
    your surgeon is best to deal with this
    Your surgeon will be able to help you on this. I do know that the heavy duty surgical tape took my skin off in several spots (they like to call it tape burn ;-)
    There are various types of tape, and one variety was more of a paper type and did not remove my skin. But your surgeon is the one who you must discuss this with.
    Good Luck!
  • Skeezie
    Skeezie Member Posts: 586 Member
    cavediver said:

your surgeon is best to deal with this
    Your surgeon will be able to help you on this. I do know that the heavy duty surgical tape took my skin off in several spots (they like to call it tape burn ;-)
    There are various types of tape, and one variety was more of a paper type and did not remove my skin. But your surgeon is the one who you must discuss this with.
    Good Luck!

Hi Menda,
    I am also allergic to that tape and it takes the skin right off. So I told my surgeon to use non-allergic tape for the mastectomy and he said he would. But just in case he forgot, I made a little sign and taped it to my breast before going into surgery so they would all see it...and it worked. the tape they used didn't stick.

Hugs, Judy :-)
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    I asked for paper tape
    I asked for paper tape because the medical tape they used for the biopsy caused a rash. I didn't have any problem with the paper tape. Shouldn't be a problem at all. The hospital I went to had several different kinds of tape. Lots of people are allergic to latex. So they have different kinds.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Marcia527 said:

I asked for paper tape
    I asked for paper tape because the medical tape they used for the biopsy caused a rash. I didn't have any problem with the paper tape. Shouldn't be a problem at all. The hospital I went to had several different kinds of tape. Lots of people are allergic to latex. So they have different kinds.

yes paper tape should work.
    yes paper tape should work. I am allergic to the tape they use after drawing blood, and for IV's. and paper tape is fine. good idea to put the sign on and also to tell your surgical nurse. Actually , list it as an allergy, on your bracelet too.
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    I replied to your other post....
    Hugs, Kathi
  • Skeezie
    Skeezie Member Posts: 586 Member
    KathiM said:

Hugs, Kathi

That's why I couldn't find my post on the other topic...
    it was on twice! Well I have wonderful words of wisdom on the other one...check it out. lol!
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    KathiM said:

Hugs, Kathi

Opps, me too. I posted on
    Opps, me too. I posted on the other one. hee hee :>P
  • KayNYC
    KayNYC Member Posts: 495 Member
    allergy to adhesive tape and glues
    I am also allergic to adhesive tapes and glues. I licked several envelopes and ended up in the ER two years ago with anaphylactic reaction. I remind everyone whenever I need a medical procedure to use hypo-allergenic or paper tape. The skin on my chest after the biopsy looked like a battlefield. They stuck a amall ice pack on my breasts inspite of my warnings about the tape and it took off two areas that looked like ugly red butterflies by the time I arrived home, 15 minutes later. The tech told me "you are not allergic, just sensitive to tape" After they saw what it did after the procedure, she looked sheepish and admitted that I should tell everyone about my "problem with adhesive". Preop, I warned everyone but those "stick on" EKG leads did the same to my chest. It took over a week to heal. I had it engraved on my Medic alert necklace with the "Do not do venipuncture or BP on Left arm" warning.Also remember to tell the techs if you go for Radiation treatments. They use these little bulls-eye type stickers sometimes during simulation and the boosts. They used magic marker, as well as the little tatoos instead.
    Hugs,K
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Marcia527 said:

Opps, me too. I posted on
    Opps, me too. I posted on the other one. hee hee :>P

If you ask for paper tape
    If you ask for paper tape and make sure they know you are allergic to the other tape, you should be alright. I hope so! Good luck!

Sue :)
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    KayNYC said:

allergy to adhesive tape and glues
    I am also allergic to adhesive tapes and glues. I licked several envelopes and ended up in the ER two years ago with anaphylactic reaction. I remind everyone whenever I need a medical procedure to use hypo-allergenic or paper tape. The skin on my chest after the biopsy looked like a battlefield. They stuck a amall ice pack on my breasts inspite of my warnings about the tape and it took off two areas that looked like ugly red butterflies by the time I arrived home, 15 minutes later. The tech told me "you are not allergic, just sensitive to tape" After they saw what it did after the procedure, she looked sheepish and admitted that I should tell everyone about my "problem with adhesive". Preop, I warned everyone but those "stick on" EKG leads did the same to my chest. It took over a week to heal. I had it engraved on my Medic alert necklace with the "Do not do venipuncture or BP on Left arm" warning.Also remember to tell the techs if you go for Radiation treatments. They use these little bulls-eye type stickers sometimes during simulation and the boosts. They used magic marker, as well as the little tatoos instead.
    Hugs,K

Allergic to adhesive tape .. I 've become allergic to
    everything since the start of my breast cancer journey. This is me, not everyone.

Having a lumpectomy, double mact-my, staph infection - right breast, emergency surgery to remove right expander, 4th surgery to replace right expander all in a matter of 6 months .. I have become terribly allergic to adhesive tape. Raised skin .. skin infections that anti-bio's had to cure .. etc. It's been 3 weeks since my last surgery, and I am not healed .. scrub nurse .. placed adhesive along my cut line ..horizonally .,.oOUCH !!

Paper tape is now used, however, paper tape is not flexible so when you move it comes off. Flexible paper tape is available in hospitals, and at plastic's offices. My plastic surgeon's office supplies me with flexible tape .. perhaps because I have become a frequent flyer with them - hahahaha. Otherwise, I can not find flexible paper tape anywhere, and believe me I have looked. It is available on line, but in large bulk.

My suggestion .. mark your outer arm before going to the hospital for surgery .. Allergic to adhesive tape and glue in lipstick .. this will get the attention of hospital staff, scrub nurses etc .. just a trick I found ... that gets the attention of anyone assoicate with your surgery!

VickiSam