After chemo is done, how long is the wait until the docs rec. tamoxifen?

dianebraun
dianebraun Member Posts: 51
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I was just wondering, after the chemo is done, what is the typical procedure? I won't need radiation, but Tamoxifen was recommended for at least 2 years followed by Aromasin. I am assuming I will need a catscan/petscan after the chemo is completed. It would be nice to have a break before oral chemo, especially since I have heard a lot of women complaining about the weight gain with Tamoxifen.

Comments

• jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    dianebraun
    My oncologist had me start tamoxifen a week after chemo was finished...and take it for 5 years.
    Also after chemo...i thought more tests were coming to see if maybe my cancer was gone and i found out my dr doesnt believe in these tests...so needle to say im looking for a new dr, cuz i believe these test can be very helpful by listening to everyone in here, otherwise how are you going to know if you have a reaccurrance.
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    jo jo said:

dianebraun
    My oncologist had me start tamoxifen a week after chemo was finished...and take it for 5 years.
    Also after chemo...i thought more tests were coming to see if maybe my cancer was gone and i found out my dr doesnt believe in these tests...so needle to say im looking for a new dr, cuz i believe these test can be very helpful by listening to everyone in here, otherwise how are you going to know if you have a reaccurrance.

I don't know about tamox
    I don't know about tamox after chemo, but, most rads oncologist's don't want you taking it until you are done with radiation.

Good luck to you on tamox!
  • Mariannemm
    Mariannemm Member Posts: 136
    Getting ready to begin....
    I have my last Taxol treatment next Monday. This last Monday my onc gave me my percripition for Tamoxifen, he told me to begin it the Monday after my last treatment. I will be on it for 5 years and then he will switch me to another drug for 5 more years. That is due to my age and that I was still having my periods before all of this began. So once he knows I am for sure in menopause that is when I will switch to another hormontherphy drug. I am very worried about the weight gain too. I have gainned 22 pounds while on Taxol and don't want to gain more! I don't want more hot flashes either but I understand that will be part of taking this medicine too. My onc doesn't do follow up scan eithers, he said it isn't neccessary anymore. Although I am going in tomorrow for a full body bone scan. This is due to a pain in my upper back that has been going on for 3 weeks. Had an x-ray and nothing showed up, so next step is the scan. I am was okay with him not doing a standard scan when it ends, knowing that if I had a concern he would order some tests. He has kept his word and I respect that. I will also begin radiation in two weeks! That will last 6 weeks and I will go every week day. Good luck to you!
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member

Getting ready to begin....
    I have my last Taxol treatment next Monday. This last Monday my onc gave me my percripition for Tamoxifen, he told me to begin it the Monday after my last treatment. I will be on it for 5 years and then he will switch me to another drug for 5 more years. That is due to my age and that I was still having my periods before all of this began. So once he knows I am for sure in menopause that is when I will switch to another hormontherphy drug. I am very worried about the weight gain too. I have gainned 22 pounds while on Taxol and don't want to gain more! I don't want more hot flashes either but I understand that will be part of taking this medicine too. My onc doesn't do follow up scan eithers, he said it isn't neccessary anymore. Although I am going in tomorrow for a full body bone scan. This is due to a pain in my upper back that has been going on for 3 weeks. Had an x-ray and nothing showed up, so next step is the scan. I am was okay with him not doing a standard scan when it ends, knowing that if I had a concern he would order some tests. He has kept his word and I respect that. I will also begin radiation in two weeks! That will last 6 weeks and I will go every week day. Good luck to you!

Wishing you good luck with
    Wishing you good luck with your chemo. I am not aware of how long you have to wait for tamox.

Sue :)
  • greyhoundluvr
    greyhoundluvr Member Posts: 402
    I just finished
    chemo on 06/11 and will be seeing my oncologist again on 07/09 to discuss whatever estrogen blocker I will be put on. I will be in rads about that time also so I'll have to wait and see when I actually am supposed to start taking it. At my last appointment, they ordered an estradiol level to see if I am "officially" post-menopausal but the onc I saw at that time did pre-warn me that I would probably be on the estrogen blocker forever. The way he explained it is that in ER/PR+ women, they are finding that recurrences can occur as frequently after 5 years as before so I would continue to be on one of the drugs. Disappointing but I will take it as small price to pay if it continues to provide some benefit.....
  • Balentine
    Balentine Member Posts: 393

I just finished
    chemo on 06/11 and will be seeing my oncologist again on 07/09 to discuss whatever estrogen blocker I will be put on. I will be in rads about that time also so I'll have to wait and see when I actually am supposed to start taking it. At my last appointment, they ordered an estradiol level to see if I am "officially" post-menopausal but the onc I saw at that time did pre-warn me that I would probably be on the estrogen blocker forever. The way he explained it is that in ER/PR+ women, they are finding that recurrences can occur as frequently after 5 years as before so I would continue to be on one of the drugs. Disappointing but I will take it as small price to pay if it continues to provide some benefit.....

Surprised so many start just one week after chemo
    My last chemo was 5/17 and I see the doctor again on 6/21 at which time he said I would prob start tamoxifen. I wonder why some onc start patients just a week later and some a month later....mmmmm.
    Lorrie
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    There is not 'typical' - we're all different!
    I stsrted Femara 3 weeks after my last Taxol. I was 2 weeks into rads when started it. My PA, surgeon and chemo did not think any scans were needed at that time but rads insisted he needed a CT to be sure what he was 'looking at' before starting so had one. The only things that showed up were the seroma (already knew it was still an issue) and 'Gall Bladder Sludge' (didn't know about that LOL). At least I'm still able to maintain the weight I still have - haven't lost any in a few months - YAH!
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Rague said:

I stsrted Femara 3 weeks after my last Taxol. I was 2 weeks into rads when started it. My PA, surgeon and chemo did not think any scans were needed at that time but rads insisted he needed a CT to be sure what he was 'looking at' before starting so had one. The only things that showed up were the seroma (already knew it was still an issue) and 'Gall Bladder Sludge' (didn't know about that LOL). At least I'm still able to maintain the weight I still have - haven't lost any in a few months - YAH!

I started tamoxifen about a
    I started tamoxifen about a month ago so far so good, its still early. I had some nausea so I take it at night. I had tests prior to stsrting chemo, but my doc doesnt do any after unless you are symptomatic or your blood work is off. I am fine with this.
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Rague said:

Have you or are you having
    Have you or are you having rads? They won't put you on tamox until you are done with radiation treatments. As far as chemo, they usually just wait a week or so.

Good luck!
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    I started on Jan. 6th
    I started on Jan 6th and had just finished Rads on Dec. 22nd. My onc. at that time said the sooner the better.
    Best of luck to you.
    Wanda