Clariden (the allergy med) taken to help with Neulasta shot side effects?

gobluegirl90
gobluegirl90 Member Posts: 53
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I was told by a friend that she took a Clariden the day of chemo, one the day of Neulasta shot and the day after, and she said it was like a 180 with her side effects she had last time she had the Neulasta shot.
Just like I feel, I am in bed Saturday and Sunday in sleepy & achy, I take my vicodine for pain and my anti-nauseous meds and it helps but I can not move and do not want to eat for like 2 full days, I drink a alot of water pry 4 or 5 bottles a day of those big Smart Waters (which is not helping me..lol)
I just wonder if anyone had heard of taking a few Clariden with that shot, if it helps? I will ask my Onc tomorrow, since I have my 3rd of 4 AC treatments on this Thursday and the shot on Friday.
Thanks

Comments

• Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    I wish I could help you out
    I wish I could help you out with some answers gobluegirl, but, I was fortunate enough to not have chemo with my bc treatments. I do know however, that when you have bad side effects, with chemo or rads or any part of our treatments, you should always contact your oncologist or rads oncologist and let them know. There are a lot of medications out there to help you to feel better thru chemo. Best of luck to you!

Sue :)
  • CarrWilson
    CarrWilson Member Posts: 111
    Claritin
    I tried this and unfortunately, for me it did not help, my Onc changed my Neulasta to the Neupogen shots to boost my immunity. It was a big hassle because you have to get multiple injuections, but so, so, so much better than the pain, ache and fatigue of the Neulasta.

I mentioned the Claritin to my Onc and he said go for it, it will not harm you. So, I would mention it, and it might be worth a try.

Best of Luck - Carrie
  • greyhoundluvr
    greyhoundluvr Member Posts: 402
    Gobluegirl -
    I remember seeing someone else on this site who mentioned the Claritin and thought it helped with the side effects. Like you - the Neulasta was probably tougher for me than the chemo - I just never remembered to ask my onc about trying it. I'm sure everyone would love to hear if you get the OK and it seems to help!
  • Skeezie
    Skeezie Member Posts: 586 Member

Gobluegirl -
    I remember seeing someone else on this site who mentioned the Claritin and thought it helped with the side effects. Like you - the Neulasta was probably tougher for me than the chemo - I just never remembered to ask my onc about trying it. I'm sure everyone would love to hear if you get the OK and it seems to help!

I used Claritin all thru my chemo...every day not just
    at the time of the shot. But I was using it before chemo. But I did read it was helpful. I also take Nexium and have for years so I think that was helpful too. But although I was never nauseated, I couldn't eat, food tasted disgusting and justwouldn't go down. I was able to drink water tho. I tried Gator Aid and could drink that occasionally. I could eat dill pickles and olives. I lost 30 lbs. but that part was welcomed. lol

Give it a try. It can't hurt and mite help.

Let us know.

Hugs, Judy :-)
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Skeezie said:

I used Claritin all thru my chemo...every day not just
    at the time of the shot. But I was using it before chemo. But I did read it was helpful. I also take Nexium and have for years so I think that was helpful too. But although I was never nauseated, I couldn't eat, food tasted disgusting and justwouldn't go down. I was able to drink water tho. I tried Gator Aid and could drink that occasionally. I could eat dill pickles and olives. I lost 30 lbs. but that part was welcomed. lol

Give it a try. It can't hurt and mite help.

Let us know.

Hugs, Judy :-)

I have read on here others
    I have read on here others using it and having some success. I did not use it. I had alot of issues with eating. lost 70 pounds. and six since chemo ended. not unwelcome either. but, I am doing better now. you are getting through, keep up the good work!!!
  • linpsu
    linpsu Member Posts: 747
    carkris said:

I have read on here others using it and having some success. I did not use it. I had alot of issues with eating. lost 70 pounds. and six since chemo ended. not unwelcome either. but, I am doing better now. you are getting through, keep up the good work!!!

Claritin
    My oncologist also suggested Claritin. I didn't have any issues with the Neulasta after my 4 A/C treatments, but after my 2 (so far) Taxol chemos, my bones and entire body hurt more than I could have ever imagined. My Dr. did not know if it was the combination of the Taxol and Neulasta, or just the Taxol that was causing all the pain. She cut back my last Neulasta shot, and I tried the Claritin, but my symptoms were not any better. Thank goodness for Vicodin or I would not have been able to get through this.
  • ms.sunshine
    ms.sunshine Member Posts: 707 Member
    linpsu said:

Claritin
    My oncologist also suggested Claritin. I didn't have any issues with the Neulasta after my 4 A/C treatments, but after my 2 (so far) Taxol chemos, my bones and entire body hurt more than I could have ever imagined. My Dr. did not know if it was the combination of the Taxol and Neulasta, or just the Taxol that was causing all the pain. She cut back my last Neulasta shot, and I tried the Claritin, but my symptoms were not any better. Thank goodness for Vicodin or I would not have been able to get through this.

I tried it, it did nothing.

I tried it, it did nothing.
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    carkris said:

I also have read here where
    I also have read here where it helped some. I guess you could ask for it and try it.

Good luck!
  • tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    susie09 said:

I also have read here where
    I also have read here where it helped some. I guess you could ask for it and try it.

Good luck!

Claritin
    I still take Claritin everyday--It helps me with muscle and bone aches. When I run out I know it and I ache all over.

I am on Herceptin only now.

Margo