am I destined to be fat while on tamoxifen?

ruthielaine
ruthielaine Member Posts: 59
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
do you ladies have any tips while on tamoxifen to hold off the weight gain - I already weight too much since going through the chemo and can't seem to get rid of it. thanks.

Comments

• taleena
    taleena Member Posts: 1,612 Member
    :-( ... I know, a real bummer...
    I don't know that I can help... I'm not on Tamoxifen... I'm on Zoladex w/Femara... but I can tell you that I too have experienced the weight gain... and my body aches somedays like I'm 90... (I'm 43)... I have just joined my local Y...Can't use weights it hurts my joints too much, but I am enjoying the pool... there is light impact on joints that way... and I still get to exercise.

Good luck!

~T
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Naaaah
    I think I gained about 10 lbs (over 7 years), but I lost it again when I stopped taking it. I would just try and eat healthy and exercise when you can.
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    I too have gained weight
    I too have gained weight since chemo now with the tamoxifen.
    Ive gained 11 pounds already and its hard for me to gain weight...so for me its not a problem...yet!
    But i need to tone up cuz this extra weight i did put on is a little mushy...so i started walking alot and ride my bike on the trails when i can and when my bones dont hurt to bad, but ive only been on it for a month so im not sure what to expect yet!
    I think the key is to get active again and its hard to do at times when your body isnt coperating cuz of the drugs or the chemo or surgery ect..
  • Mariannemm
    Mariannemm Member Posts: 136
    Darn!
    I am just finishing Taxol which I have gained 20 pounds since I have been on Taxol. Oh my gosh I hope I don't gain more while on Tamoxifen, I can't handle more weighted I am not that tall and I am already feeling fat! I start Tamoxifen in 2 weeks! Marianne
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    When I was on it I didn't
    When I was on it I didn't gain but I started to exercise and lost a little that I had gained on chemo. Not a lot and it was slow but I didn't gain.
  • GrandmaJ
    GrandmaJ Member Posts: 209
    Weight gain
    I'm on Femara for the last two months and have already gained 5 lbs, which doesn't help since I'm already overweight. Exercising on my bike every day but it doesn't seem to stop the scale from going up and up and up. So depressing.

Judy
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    GrandmaJ said:

Weight gain
    I'm on Femara for the last two months and have already gained 5 lbs, which doesn't help since I'm already overweight. Exercising on my bike every day but it doesn't seem to stop the scale from going up and up and up. So depressing.

Judy

Diet and physical activity
    works for me.I excluded all white flour products, including deserts.
  • cvolk821
    cvolk821 Member Posts: 36
    WII Fitness
    I work out with the WII Fitness Plus program. I've been able to use it all through my recovery, because it includes everything from gentle step and yoga to marching and slolum skiing. I've lost 41 lbs while on Tamoxifen - but have to work at it every day. Remember, the Tamoxifen makes you want to eat the world, but it doesn't put the fork in your hand. My worst problem with Tamoxifen (discounting having to stand in front of the open freezer with my sweating head on the ice bin) is crying over nothing. Coffee commercials, the pledge of allegence, kids singing.... you name it and I'll cry over it.

Do you have any of this crying nonsense?
  • Amy23July09
    Amy23July09 Member Posts: 7
    cvolk821 said:

WII Fitness
    I work out with the WII Fitness Plus program. I've been able to use it all through my recovery, because it includes everything from gentle step and yoga to marching and slolum skiing. I've lost 41 lbs while on Tamoxifen - but have to work at it every day. Remember, the Tamoxifen makes you want to eat the world, but it doesn't put the fork in your hand. My worst problem with Tamoxifen (discounting having to stand in front of the open freezer with my sweating head on the ice bin) is crying over nothing. Coffee commercials, the pledge of allegence, kids singing.... you name it and I'll cry over it.

Do you have any of this crying nonsense?

I do the crying thing -
    I do the crying thing - didn't realize tamoxifen did that. Thought I was just depressed. I'm slowly losing weight, I was on the South Beach Diet last year before being diagnosed and surgery and chemo and rad- anyways i was losing really fast - now i'm losing really slow - thought it might be because of the poisons in my or being put into menopause. I walk and do the wii fit