Urodynamics Testing Today

tdorman
tdorman Member Posts: 21
edited March 2014 in Prostate Cancer #1
This is crazy. I am considering a sling so I went in today for the urodynamic testing. I am leaking moderately. Had the test this am at 8.30. After the test I stopped leaking. I have been completely dry for about 12 hours. I am afraid to get excited as this may be a temporary thing. No matter what I have enjoyed being dry for the day. Any thoughts on this?

Comments

• lion1
    lion1 Member Posts: 241
    Urodynamics
    tdorman,

I hope you stay dry for good! However, I have had Urodynamics twice in the last four years and for about 12 hrs, I was dry. It was wonderful, but then it came right back. I have been incontinent for 4 yrs. I guess when the procedure is done, it makes the bladder stop contracting for a while.

Lion1
  • Kongo
    Kongo Member Posts: 1,166 Member
    Can You Describe
    Tdorman, can you describe the procedure and process for urodynamic testing? I'm not familiar with that. Whatever it is, I hope it works for you.
  • Trew
    Trew Member Posts: 932 Member
    Kongo said:

Can You Describe
    Tdorman, can you describe the procedure and process for urodynamic testing? I'm not familiar with that. Whatever it is, I hope it works for you.

You stand pretty much naked
    You stand pretty much naked in front of strange people with a cath in the penis and one in the rectum to measure pressure. You pee in a cyinder, then they flush the bladder with water to test holding capacity, then, with the tubes in, you cough, and .....

all this is connected to a computer that takes readings/measurements of everthing.

You get the idea?

You really have to be there to understand and appreciate the full impact of this procedure.
  • Kongo
    Kongo Member Posts: 1,166 Member
    Trew said:

You stand pretty much naked
    You stand pretty much naked in front of strange people with a cath in the penis and one in the rectum to measure pressure. You pee in a cyinder, then they flush the bladder with water to test holding capacity, then, with the tubes in, you cough, and .....

all this is connected to a computer that takes readings/measurements of everthing.

You get the idea?

You really have to be there to understand and appreciate the full impact of this procedure.

Thanks, Trew
    Thanks for the insight and perspective, Trew. I had grown used to bending over for lots of strangers but this adds another whole dynamic I hadn't even considered. I'm happy to pass, at least for now.
  • Trew
    Kongo said:

Thanks, Trew
    Thanks for the insight and perspective, Trew. I had grown used to bending over for lots of strangers but this adds another whole dynamic I hadn't even considered. I'm happy to pass, at least for now.

You do this on hormone shots
    You do this on hormone shots with your emotions already screwed up and it can be quite an experience. I am having some problems with leakage myself, and discussing the issues I am dealing with (see Pad Diary)she said,"You have had radiaiton?" There is a big connection between urodynamics testing and radiation.

Yep- I got that, too! :)

some days I am really just emotionally beat up with all this stuff. There seems to be no end to it for me. I am starting to get a little tired of the bonus dividends that right kind of PC scores pay out. Really I am.
  • tdorman
    Trew said:

You do this on hormone shots
    You do this on hormone shots with your emotions already screwed up and it can be quite an experience. I am having some problems with leakage myself, and discussing the issues I am dealing with (see Pad Diary)she said,"You have had radiaiton?" There is a big connection between urodynamics testing and radiation.

Yep- I got that, too! :)

some days I am really just emotionally beat up with all this stuff. There seems to be no end to it for me. I am starting to get a little tired of the bonus dividends that right kind of PC scores pay out. Really I am.

Yes I had radiation 7 years ago.
    Had radical p in 1996, recurrence in 2003 and IMRT radiaton. I was mostly dry for 14 years, Then the past few months constantly dripping
  • Trew
    tdorman said:

Yes I had radiation 7 years ago.
    Had radical p in 1996, recurrence in 2003 and IMRT radiaton. I was mostly dry for 14 years, Then the past few months constantly dripping

Simple enough
    tdor, did I describe the procedure pretty well?

"Mr. Trew, you can take everything off from the waist down and then pee into this cylinder conatiner. Just relax and let it flow naturally with no pushing." then, "Please sit here and relax....."

Procedure explained and then a male tech inserted the front cath, then the back cath. Back flushing and then standing and urinating into the cylinder again with the cath tubes still in. "Mr. Trew, while standing there, Please cough (urine leaking out all around the tube) a few more movements, then, "I think that is enough, you can be seated again" and out come the tubes and a little cleaning up and the procedure is done.

I was repaired for this procedure- i looked it up on line and knew what was coming. what I saw on online- that is what they did to me.
  • tdorman
    Trew said:

Simple enough
    tdor, did I describe the procedure pretty well?

"Mr. Trew, you can take everything off from the waist down and then pee into this cylinder conatiner. Just relax and let it flow naturally with no pushing." then, "Please sit here and relax....."

Procedure explained and then a male tech inserted the front cath, then the back cath. Back flushing and then standing and urinating into the cylinder again with the cath tubes still in. "Mr. Trew, while standing there, Please cough (urine leaking out all around the tube) a few more movements, then, "I think that is enough, you can be seated again" and out come the tubes and a little cleaning up and the procedure is done.

I was repaired for this procedure- i looked it up on line and knew what was coming. what I saw on online- that is what they did to me.

Trew
    Your description is perfect.
  • Skid Row Tom
    Skid Row Tom Member Posts: 125
    Urodynamics swelliing
    What lion said. These "invasive procedures" cause things to swell up causing temporary constrictions. This helps resolve incontinence temporarily. But shortly, it's back "into the pool". About the urodynamics test, I told Trew a while back that I think this was created in Medieval times to extract confessions from "suspects".
  • lion1

Urodynamics swelliing
    What lion said. These "invasive procedures" cause things to swell up causing temporary constrictions. This helps resolve incontinence temporarily. But shortly, it's back "into the pool". About the urodynamics test, I told Trew a while back that I think this was created in Medieval times to extract confessions from "suspects".

The administrator doesn't matter either
    Tom,

My first Urodynamics was done by a beautiful PA and I mean it she was beautiful--and that's the first time I had been naked in front of a woman and the last thing on my mind was sex or even erotic thoughts.

So, yes I believe you that this was a type of medieval torture.

Lion1 :)
  • lion1

Urodynamics swelliing

The administrator doesn't matter either
    Tom,

My first Urodynamics was done by a beautiful PA and I mean it she was beautiful--and that's the first time I had been naked in front of a woman and the last thing on my mind was sex or even erotic thoughts.

So, yes I believe you that this was a type of medieval torture.

Lion1 :)
  • tdorman
    Still dry 7 days after UroDynamics
    I was using several large pads a day before Urodynamics last week. After the test I am 99.9% dry. Played golf and worked out without a pad. Had RP 14 years ago. Then radiation 7 years ago. I only had light to no incontinence for 14 years. Then I had a situation where the doc had to go in and look in my bladder. After that procedure I starting dripping constantly. Been very wet for 5 months. He suggested the Urodynamic to see if a sling would work for me. After the test I am dry. My urologist does not have an answer. His best guess is we moved something during the bladder procedure and moved it back with the removal of the Urodynamics tube.
  • randy_in_indy
    randy_in_indy Member Posts: 496 Member
    tdorman said:

Still dry 7 days after UroDynamics
    I was using several large pads a day before Urodynamics last week. After the test I am 99.9% dry. Played golf and worked out without a pad. Had RP 14 years ago. Then radiation 7 years ago. I only had light to no incontinence for 14 years. Then I had a situation where the doc had to go in and look in my bladder. After that procedure I starting dripping constantly. Been very wet for 5 months. He suggested the Urodynamic to see if a sling would work for me. After the test I am dry. My urologist does not have an answer. His best guess is we moved something during the bladder procedure and moved it back with the removal of the Urodynamics tube.

Tdorman
    That is just plain crazy...it's like when your trying to fix something on your car engine..or an electrical appliance and you take it apart put it back together not knowing or finding anything wrong with it and you turn it on, and now it works...and you say to yourself..."I'm a genius...don't know what I did, but I must be a genius. Hopefully whatever they undid or did...will be forever fixed an make you a permanent member of the Dryness Club!!!