Colds

Eltina21
Eltina21 Member Posts: 173 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Good Morning Everyone,
My question for today is, is it dangerous to catch a cold while going through Chemotherapy? Thanks and have a wonderful day.
Peace and Blessings,
Karen

Comments

• coloCan
    coloCan Member Posts: 1,944 Member
    Need not be but if your blood counts are affected you obviously
    dont want to come down with anything that will tax your body/immunne system further. I made great effort to avoid people/animals while undergoing chemo/rad. Onc also had me off all but a multivitamin, further weaking me cos my appetite wasn't good then neither. As colds can get worse I'd want to avoid anything/place where you might catch something, if thats possible given your lifestyle, like if you have little kids, pets,have to work, travel etc. Should talk to onc about preventative measures, if needed. Hope all goes well with your chemo, Karen......It does get better......steve
  • abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member
    I made every effort to avoid infections
    This included carrying hand sanitizer, and using it frequently, and avoiding large public enclosed gatherings.

It's best not to add anything when your immune system may be compromised, but you can't be neurotic - you have to keep on living.

Just make reasonable efforts to avoid infections, and tell your drs if you become sick.

Good luck!
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Sickness
    Any sickness can further deplete your energy. Try anything you can to stay away from large crowds.

Kim
  • Sickness
    Any sickness can further deplete your energy. Try anything you can to stay away from large crowds.

Kim

This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • maglets
    maglets Member Posts: 2,576 Member
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

Karen
    not givin advice just sayin......haha

I too tried to be really careful.....I did not even go to a movie theatre or other small spaces where people were coughing and sneezing.

I was lucky and had huby do all the grocery shopping and if I had to go I always cleaned the cart handle and asked people who knew they were sick....to not visit....

good luck hon

mags
  • Brenda3.16
    Brenda3.16 Member Posts: 209
    maglets said:

Karen
    not givin advice just sayin......haha

I too tried to be really careful.....I did not even go to a movie theatre or other small spaces where people were coughing and sneezing.

I was lucky and had huby do all the grocery shopping and if I had to go I always cleaned the cart handle and asked people who knew they were sick....to not visit....

good luck hon

mags

Karen,
    I was dx in 3/09 with

Karen,

I was dx in 3/09 with stage 4 cc. I have been doing chemo since then. My oncologists said it would be fine to keep working during chemo. I am a 7th grade Math teacher and have worked full time. I also have a 14 year old daughter who I do everything with. I do all my own shopping etc. My blood counts have been good, and I only had one minor cold in the last 13 months.

Good Luck,

Brenda
  • coolvdub
    coolvdub Member Posts: 408 Member

Karen,
    I was dx in 3/09 with

Karen,

I was dx in 3/09 with stage 4 cc. I have been doing chemo since then. My oncologists said it would be fine to keep working during chemo. I am a 7th grade Math teacher and have worked full time. I also have a 14 year old daughter who I do everything with. I do all my own shopping etc. My blood counts have been good, and I only had one minor cold in the last 13 months.

Good Luck,

Brenda

You will be okay
    Karen,

I work on a military base with people who have been all over the world, no telling what I may have been exposed to. I never got a cold or got sick. I did my best to remain healthy, I took sublingual B-12 and vitaman C daily and tried to eat healthy foods. I never got sick from a cold or virus, the Chemo made me sick, but that was to be expected. Just keep an eye on your weekly labs, they will indicate whether or not you should be in public or not.

Don
  • luv3jay
    luv3jay Member Posts: 533 Member
    I have had a terrible cold
    I have had a terrible cold over the past couple of weeks. My onc says as long as it's not accompanied by a fever, to just take OTC meds. If you have a fever, then go to the ER.

-Sheri