Skin saving surgery

Kat11
Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I had a lumpectomy, but yesterday on the show the doctors that I watch they showed a surgery for BC where they save the skin and nipple of the breast, scoop out all the breast tissue, then put inplant in and the is very little scaring. They said as long as the cancer is not to close to your skin, that the surgery can be done like this. Has anyone had this and is it as good as they say. Never know what my future hold so I like to pay attention.

Comments

• DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    I don't know if this is what
    I don't know if this is what you are talking about, but, there was a bc survivor on here that posted about her surgery and I hadn't heard of it before. She said they made the incision, I think, around the areola and scooped out all of the breast tissue, which left her still with her nipple and with a scar that you probably won't be able to see once it heals. But, I don't remember what she called it. It hadn't been done a lot that I recall. And, she isn't here anymore. Is this what you saw?
  • taleena
    taleena Member Posts: 1,612 Member
    I read an article about that
    I read an article about that same thing just two days ago Kat... I am curious to find out if anyone has had that procedure too.
  • greyhoundluvr
    greyhoundluvr Member Posts: 402
    Kat -
    I saw some discussion about that on a news show about a lady who hada bilateral prophylactic mastectomy. My breast surgeon did not recomend it if I was going with the bilateral (prophylactic on the right) if my goal was to limit the chances of a second tumor (in the non-affected side) because retaining the nipple would limit the effectiveness (more chance for one of those potentially nasty future cancer cells to hang around). On the side with cancer, it was basically the same thing - magnified. Since my brain was set on doing whatever I could that would give me the best potential for not having to do this again, I was not willing to giveup even a minimal percent chance. My oncologist told me yesterday that a signle cancer cell is smatter than a whole room full of oncologists (not exactly an uplifting discussion) but I guess another reality check so I am happy that I went the more aggressive route.

Here's hoping this is just more useful information more you and not anything you will ever need!

Chris
  • Christine Louise
    Christine Louise Member Posts: 426 Member

Kat -
    I saw some discussion about that on a news show about a lady who hada bilateral prophylactic mastectomy. My breast surgeon did not recomend it if I was going with the bilateral (prophylactic on the right) if my goal was to limit the chances of a second tumor (in the non-affected side) because retaining the nipple would limit the effectiveness (more chance for one of those potentially nasty future cancer cells to hang around). On the side with cancer, it was basically the same thing - magnified. Since my brain was set on doing whatever I could that would give me the best potential for not having to do this again, I was not willing to giveup even a minimal percent chance. My oncologist told me yesterday that a signle cancer cell is smatter than a whole room full of oncologists (not exactly an uplifting discussion) but I guess another reality check so I am happy that I went the more aggressive route.

Here's hoping this is just more useful information more you and not anything you will ever need!

Chris

Bumped up a thread
    I bumped up a thread called "Nipple Saving Mastectomy" in case the info there is relevant.
  • m-star
    m-star Member Posts: 441

Bumped up a thread
    I bumped up a thread called "Nipple Saving Mastectomy" in case the info there is relevant.

im pretty sure there's a
    im pretty sure there's a lady on breastcancer,org that had her breast tissue and nipples removed but kept the areola. I had never heard of this but she put photo's on a special private picture forum.
    They looked really good.But again,depends on the cancer and where it is found etc etc.

I was told if i wanted to reduce my risk fully,to remove nipples as well,as nipples and areols are brest tissue and it was silly to leave behind that risk if i was going through with bilateral mastectomy.
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175

Bumped up a thread

I told my plastic surgeon i
    I told my plastic surgeon i wanted to keep my own nipples...she said she could do it but doesnt recommend it for a couple of reasons...
    One since my cancer was estrogen fed the nipple could be a host to some hiden remaining cancer cells and have to have them removed later because of reaccurance.
    Second, she said she had patients that did this and they came back in to make her remove them because they look deformed...they were very droopy.
    Before this I was very stern on wanting to keep mine but in my case this wasnt the right decision as much as i didnt want to hear it.
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    taleena said:

I read an article about that
    I read an article about that same thing just two days ago Kat... I am curious to find out if anyone has had that procedure too.

Sounds interesting. I would
    Sounds interesting. I would be curious too to see if anyone had it done and if they were happy with it.
  • Menda
    Menda Member Posts: 128
    That is the surgery that I
    That is the surgery that I am having. It is called a bilateral subqutanious (sp) masectomy. In English terms they save all exterior tissue and hollow the inside out and then immediately do reconstruction. One thing to note is that I have NOT had a positive diagnosis. Been having biopsys for at least the last decade. It is now not "if" they come back positive but "when". Will look up the correct full name and spelling.
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Menda said:

That is the surgery that I
    That is the surgery that I am having. It is called a bilateral subqutanious (sp) masectomy. In English terms they save all exterior tissue and hollow the inside out and then immediately do reconstruction. One thing to note is that I have NOT had a positive diagnosis. Been having biopsys for at least the last decade. It is now not "if" they come back positive but "when". Will look up the correct full name and spelling.

Menda
    So maybe this surgery is done on women like yourself and maybe those who test positive for the BRAC gene, but don't have a cancer yet.
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Kat11 said:

Menda
    So maybe this surgery is done on women like yourself and maybe those who test positive for the BRAC gene, but don't have a cancer yet.

That might be the case Kat.
    That might be the case Kat. It isn't done if you have bc? I have never heard of this surgery.