Alcohol and cancer

Sher43009
Sher43009 Member Posts: 602 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have been going to a registered dietician since the beginning of May. She is teaching me which foods to eat (fruits and veggies 8-9 servings per day), how to prepare them and what foods to stay away from. She told me yesterday that a new study is out linking alcohol use with breast, liver, lung, colon, and pancreatic cancers. It messes with the enzymes that our bodies need to filter out the bad cells before they become cancer. Knowing that breast cancer can come back as liver and lung cancers, it scared me enough to stop drinking the one and only beer I have per day. I tried the non-alcohol beer O'Doul's and must say it's tasty. I just thought everyone would be interested in the study.

Sher

Comments

• 2Floridiansisters
    2Floridiansisters Member Posts: 384 Member
    Hi Sher, that's important info!
    But luckily for me I have never took up the habit of drinking, I'm 50 and think I've maybe had 3 drinks in my entire life.

Have a great day!

Love Ronda
  • KayNYC
    KayNYC Member Posts: 495 Member
    good information
    Yes, my treatment team mentioned the alcohol studies and the links to cancer. I drink one drink on two holidays per year so it wasn't very applicable in my case however, the implications for other chemicals that effect our livers gives one pause, from the chemicals used on our dry cleaned clothing, pesticides in our food, to the chemicals we spray in our homes or use for cleaning...
    Hugs, K
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    KayNYC said:

good information
    Yes, my treatment team mentioned the alcohol studies and the links to cancer. I drink one drink on two holidays per year so it wasn't very applicable in my case however, the implications for other chemicals that effect our livers gives one pause, from the chemicals used on our dry cleaned clothing, pesticides in our food, to the chemicals we spray in our homes or use for cleaning...
    Hugs, K

Very vailed point K....I
    Very vailed point K....I totally agree with all the chemicals we use in our every day life that are very harmful to use and many have cancer agents in them. So whats the harm in a drink now and then!
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    jo jo said:

Very vailed point K....I
    Very vailed point K....I totally agree with all the chemicals we use in our every day life that are very harmful to use and many have cancer agents in them. So whats the harm in a drink now and then!

I agree! A drink every now
    I agree! A drink every now and then shouldn't hurt you. If you gave up everything that they SAY might contribute to cancer, you would have to live in a bubble.

Enjoy your life!
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Alcohol didn't cause my
    Alcohol didn't cause my breast cancer for a fact. You could count the number of drinks I've had on one hand. Don't know what caused it. Don't know what caused the Parkinson's either. It is strange that some of the comments here are very simular to one's PWP (people with Parkinson's) make. Not talking about alcohol but generally.
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Marcia527 said:

Alcohol didn't cause my
    Alcohol didn't cause my breast cancer for a fact. You could count the number of drinks I've had on one hand. Don't know what caused it. Don't know what caused the Parkinson's either. It is strange that some of the comments here are very simular to one's PWP (people with Parkinson's) make. Not talking about alcohol but generally.

I enjoy a drink every now
    I enjoy a drink every now and again now that I am done with Chemo. I am not an everyday drinker ( unless we are camping ) lol. I'm with Marcia, my cancer did not come from alcohol. I think it's just don't over do it.
  • Skeezie
    Skeezie Member Posts: 586 Member
    Kat11 said:

I enjoy a drink every now and again now that I am done with Chemo. I am not an everyday drinker ( unless we are camping ) lol. I'm with Marcia, my cancer did not come from alcohol. I think it's just don't over do it.

I've been reading about HEAVY alcohol use being linked
    to breast cancer. They don't consider a drink or two heavy...so that means if I want to have a few drinks at a party on the weekend I'm gonna. I am not gonna change my entire life because of some tests that a few years down the road they will change and say "Sorry, wasn't true". People that are heavy drinkers are definitely at a higher risk for mouth, stomach cancer and the list goes on and on including breast cancer. But my 3 or 4 little drinks 6 or 7 times a year is not going to send me into a tailspin.

Most of should probably eat better for many reasons...but I read how many of us (not me) on here have been eating absolutely the perfect, healthy things and they are still here with big old me so it's really hard to determine what's going on. I know I would be healthier and please my internist if I would change and EXERCISE. And I do now and then. lol But I'm not gonna pass up something wonderful at a party or when I go out to eat...I keep thinking about all those women on the Titanic who gave up dessert that nite...

But I don't buy potato chips anymore! :-(
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Skeezie said:

to breast cancer. They don't consider a drink or two heavy...so that means if I want to have a few drinks at a party on the weekend I'm gonna. I am not gonna change my entire life because of some tests that a few years down the road they will change and say "Sorry, wasn't true". People that are heavy drinkers are definitely at a higher risk for mouth, stomach cancer and the list goes on and on including breast cancer. But my 3 or 4 little drinks 6 or 7 times a year is not going to send me into a tailspin.

Most of should probably eat better for many reasons...but I read how many of us (not me) on here have been eating absolutely the perfect, healthy things and they are still here with big old me so it's really hard to determine what's going on. I know I would be healthier and please my internist if I would change and EXERCISE. And I do now and then. lol But I'm not gonna pass up something wonderful at a party or when I go out to eat...I keep thinking about all those women on the Titanic who gave up dessert that nite...

Oh thats funny Skeezie.

Oh thats funny Skeezie.
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Skeezie said:

Alcohol consumption was
    Alcohol consumption was discussed with me but the decision was that what I've drunk in my life had no causation for my IBC. I drink some occasionally, There have been a few times (Christmas /New Years Eve Parties, etc.) when I definately "got feelin' GOOD" (LOL) but very few times and far between.

While I was on Chemo and rads, I did not drink anything with alcohol in it. Not even the NA beers because there is a very minute amount of alcohol in them. (At least according to the labels on all that I have checked.)

There are so many things that are brought up that say that perdispose (maybe not the right word but the only one I can think of right now) to the posibility of BC. I was over 30 when first pregnant and did not breast feed - been told that could have had something to do with me getting it.
  • Skeezie
    Skeezie Member Posts: 586 Member
    Rague said:

Alcohol consumption was
    Alcohol consumption was discussed with me but the decision was that what I've drunk in my life had no causation for my IBC. I drink some occasionally, There have been a few times (Christmas /New Years Eve Parties, etc.) when I definately "got feelin' GOOD" (LOL) but very few times and far between.

While I was on Chemo and rads, I did not drink anything with alcohol in it. Not even the NA beers because there is a very minute amount of alcohol in them. (At least according to the labels on all that I have checked.)

There are so many things that are brought up that say that perdispose (maybe not the right word but the only one I can think of right now) to the posibility of BC. I was over 30 when first pregnant and did not breast feed - been told that could have had something to do with me getting it.

I refuse to let some stastic make me feel guilty or responsible
    for my bc. It is what it is. I had my son when I was 20 and didn't breast feed. How many out there have never had children...how about many kids. I certainly did my share of partying when I was young (and I'm glad, lots of good memories). I have loved my life and wouldn't change a thing. Lots of cheicals in our food...factory farming. We could go on and on. It would be terrific if we could point to one thing and know that was the cause..we could then do something about it. But we can't.

I will continue to live my life, get regular check-ups and do what is reasonable for me to do. But I will not let some vague study make me feel bad or that this is my fault.

If I had been well enough to even think of having a cocktail during chemo I wouldn't have. I have never had a cocktail while on medication and in my book chemo is the grand daddy of all meds.

Cheers, Judy :-)
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Thanks for that. I am down
    Thanks for that. I am down to drinking about 6 drinks per YEAR and want to give it up totally. Even moderate drinking is risky according to the very large nurses' study: http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/kwk054v1.

Don't shoot the messenger though--I know it is a personal choice and there are many behaviors that increase risk (such as obesity, smoking, lack of exercise, etc.).

Whatever we can do to be healthy and fight the fight is a good thing--one baby step at a time!
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Sher, I have been told the
    Sher, I have been told the same thing from everyone from my surgeon, oncologist and the many, many articles I have read. I think that with anything in our lives...moderation is the key. I am 55 years old and have seen many recommendations in my lifetime change from year to year regarding foods to eat and/or foods to avoid. I think that common sense probably helps, too. I think I still have some of that. LOL.
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Here's the "skinny" on BC
    THEY HAVE NO IDEA OF What causes breast cancer.....study after study after study....billions of dollars in research.....if they knew, they could prevent it! I about drove myself crazy thinking, "what caused this?" and every one of my doctor's said......."if we only knew'...... I know for a fact alcohol didn't cause mine.......I drink maybe 3 drinks a year.......so is it "heavy" drinking? I don't think anyone knows........is it hair dye.....makeup......nail polish.....chemicals in our drinking water.....hormones in food......the air we breathe.....on and on an on.....I'm with who ever posted.........if we did EVERYTHING we are told we "should do or shouldn't do, we may as well throw in the towel now! I'm not for taking unneccessary risks, but I am not going to stop living either......IF you start to look around, just at us on this board, there are some who smoked and got bc........some who never smoked and got bc....some who drink and got bc.....some who don't drink and got bc......some who lived the healthiest of life styles and got bc...we could go on and on.....simple fact is.....no one knows, sadly.....Hopefully in the not to distant future they can find the cause and develop a "vaccine"....So that it will save countless women the pain and suffering we have all endured....Especially our daughters and grand daughters.....I am currently enrolled in a study at UNC CHAPEL Hill....they are trying to find the cause......Let's all wish them well........\

Peace be with all of you........and I wish you well
    Nancy
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Kat11 said:

Like anything, if you don't
    Like anything, if you don't over do it, you should be fine with a drink every now and then. I like my glass of wine! :)
  • mariam_11_09
    mariam_11_09 Member Posts: 691 Member
    Well I know a couple muslim

Well I know a couple muslim women who have never had a drink in their lives, eat well, are not overweight and have had breast cancer!! I rarely have a drink and have breast cancer.

Alchohol does have an affect on the liver if over consummed over long periods of time. Cirrhosis of the liver can result which can lead to liver cancer. But then so do other strong chemicals found in cosmetics, paints, plastics and in our environment that can lead to the same thing. Not to forgot Hep. C. and probably other diseases.