THE PAIN OF HAVING CANCER & SECOND OPINION- PLEASE HELP!!!

nubis
nubis Member Posts: 98
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
My husband is having a pain in the neck (burning sensation)and doctor told us could be the lymph nodes. He ordered a CT-SCAN I'm scared. This cancer is still there and my husband now is tired and weak. Before he was with more energy, but now he is sleeping a lot. Doctor increased the pain medication and since he started the new medicine he is very sleepy. Doctor said it is normal. In addition he had a seizure (the third one) and he is taking steroids. Somebody experiencing any kind of pain?

For those with Small cell- Which chemo worked better on you??

It's valid a second opinion. Somebody has done a second opinion?

Comments

• gkukurin
    gkukurin Member Posts: 9
    Transcutaneous Vagal Nerve stimulation
    If you can find someone locally to do this it may help.

http://www.atlantapaindoctors.com/pain-relief/tvns-transcutaneous-vagus-nerve-stimulation

Since it also suppresses seizures, it might have that added effect.

Consult your doctor before trying this or any recommendations from the Internet.
  • nubis
    nubis Member Posts: 98
    gkukurin said:

Transcutaneous Vagal Nerve stimulation
    If you can find someone locally to do this it may help.

http://www.atlantapaindoctors.com/pain-relief/tvns-transcutaneous-vagus-nerve-stimulation

Since it also suppresses seizures, it might have that added effect.

Consult your doctor before trying this or any recommendations from the Internet.

Thank you for your advice.
    Thank you for your advice. I'm going to ask.
  • hope0310
    hope0310 Member Posts: 320
    nubis said:

Thank you for your advice.
    Thank you for your advice. I'm going to ask.

I am curious as to why they
    I am curious as to why they do not have him on anti-seizure meds? They had mom on Keppra, she never had a seizure but they gave to her since she had the brain mets. She is now off of them, I would ask about it.

Moms is small cell, her chemo is VP16 and carboplatin, she has tolerated those well.
  • Still around
    Still around Member Posts: 2
    hope0310 said:

I am curious as to why they do not have him on anti-seizure meds? They had mom on Keppra, she never had a seizure but they gave to her since she had the brain mets. She is now off of them, I would ask about it.

Moms is small cell, her chemo is VP16 and carboplatin, she has tolerated those well.

brain mets and seizures
    I have small cell stage 4. I also have brain mets, originally 6 now 3 very small. I've never had a seizure, but am told I will never be allowed to drive. I'm reading of folks who have a similar diagnosis and are driving. Is your mom allowed to drive?
  • hope0310
    hope0310 Member Posts: 320

brain mets and seizures
    I have small cell stage 4. I also have brain mets, originally 6 now 3 very small. I've never had a seizure, but am told I will never be allowed to drive. I'm reading of folks who have a similar diagnosis and are driving. Is your mom allowed to drive?

Still around....
    She has NOT driven, but she is allowed. Are you in the states? I think the law, at least in NC is that you forbidden to drive until you are seizure free for 6 months.....that is awful that you have not had a seizure and they told you that you were not allowed to drive.
  • deb_needhope
    deb_needhope Member Posts: 38
    hope0310 said:

anti-seizure meds
    Yes, they put my Mom on anti-seizure meds last week since she is at high risk for a seizure now with the brain tumor.
  • Still around
    Still around Member Posts: 2
    hope0310 said:

Still around....
    She has NOT driven, but she is allowed. Are you in the states? I think the law, at least in NC is that you forbidden to drive until you are seizure free for 6 months.....that is awful that you have not had a seizure and they told you that you were not allowed to drive.

Driving with brain mets
    Thank you so much for your response. I'm in Pennsylvania. Everything I've been reading says 6 months since last seizure. My medical oncologist said 6 months, which made sense. Then 2 weeks ago I called my radiation oncologist to see if I could maybe drive early since they had shrunk and via his nurse I was told I was not allowed to drive EVER due to fear of seizures. Would be not a real big deal, but I'm a single parent and I really need to get back to work. I feel fine, if it weren't for being bald I would forget I have cancer! I'm lucky there, I don't know what I'm going to do financially if I can't go back to work. It was a real shock to me, because I was diagnosed in February and two weeks ago was the first I had heard I'd never be allowed to drive, I was under the impression that I had to wait 6 months was all.
  • augigi
    augigi Member Posts: 89

anti-seizure meds
    Yes, they put my Mom on anti-seizure meds last week since she is at high risk for a seizure now with the brain tumor.

My mom has mesothelioma and
    My mom has mesothelioma and did get the lymph node pain (sore, swollen and hot to the touch).. but it disappeared after dr restarted the dexamethasone.