Infection during surgery and severe allergic reaction to Taxotere

1wildone
1wildone Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
This is my first post. I had a mastectomy of my right breast and axillary dissection in
April. A week later I was back in the hospital with an Aeromonas Species water born infection. This has been cleared up with antibiotics. My first chemo was June 1. I was given Cytoxan and then started on Taxotere. About 10 mins into the Taxotere treatment I had a severe allergic reaction. Thankfully, they stopped the chemo and finally reversed the immediate allergic reaction. My original treatment plan was for 4 times every 3 weeks. Now, my oncon plans for me to get Cytoxan, Methotrexate and 5-FU every 3 weeks for 12 weeks. I am anxious about getting any chemo now and the extended time of treatment is scary. Anyone had this experience? Anyone getting these 3 chemo drugs? I appreciate any and all responses. All of you sound like very brave, strong and caring women. Thanks, Gemini

Comments

• survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Hi and welcome to this great
    Hi and welcome to this great site. I wish I could give you some help with answering your questions about chemo, but, I didn't have chemo.

I am sure that another bc sister that has will post a reply to you.

Good luck!
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294

Hi and welcome to this great
    Hi and welcome to this great site. I wish I could give you some help with answering your questions about chemo, but, I didn't have chemo.

I am sure that another bc sister that has will post a reply to you.

Good luck!

Welcome to the site
    Sorry for the problems. Several people have had allergic reaction and Chemo drugs you have been asking for.
    I am sure they will respond soon.
    Good luck
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Gemini you are not alone. I
    Gemini you are not alone. I developed cellulitis after my 2nd surgery and remained on antibitoics thru most of my chemo treatment. I had 8 rounds of chemo. the first 4 were adriamycin and cytoxan. I had 1 1/4 of taxol. The first taxol infusion caused debilitating pain from the top of my head to the tip of my toes. Seven minutes into the 2nd taxol infusion I had a severe allergic reaction. It happened very quickly. I saw stars, blood pressure went from 116 to 178 in a matter of seconds and they needed to give me oxgen. Not to worry, my onc sent me home to rest for 3 weeks and then put me on taxotere which went very smoothly. I had 4 taxotere infusions and will be finished with rads this Tuesday 6/15.

We are all so very different. They can and will find a combo that will work for you. I could tolerate taxotere but couldnt tolerate taxol. The opposite is true for many others. This is a long journey but it is all doable in spite of the detours on the way. Please feel encouraged. My prayers are with you, and please know that there is unbelievable support on these boards. We are an army in pink and combined have quite an arsenal of ammunition to get thru this.Keep posting, vent all you want, and ask questions. Someone usually has the answer or can lead you to someone or something that will help. God bless You.
  • 1wildone
    1wildone Member Posts: 3
    natly15 said:

Gemini you are not alone. I
    Gemini you are not alone. I developed cellulitis after my 2nd surgery and remained on antibitoics thru most of my chemo treatment. I had 8 rounds of chemo. the first 4 were adriamycin and cytoxan. I had 1 1/4 of taxol. The first taxol infusion caused debilitating pain from the top of my head to the tip of my toes. Seven minutes into the 2nd taxol infusion I had a severe allergic reaction. It happened very quickly. I saw stars, blood pressure went from 116 to 178 in a matter of seconds and they needed to give me oxgen. Not to worry, my onc sent me home to rest for 3 weeks and then put me on taxotere which went very smoothly. I had 4 taxotere infusions and will be finished with rads this Tuesday 6/15.

We are all so very different. They can and will find a combo that will work for you. I could tolerate taxotere but couldnt tolerate taxol. The opposite is true for many others. This is a long journey but it is all doable in spite of the detours on the way. Please feel encouraged. My prayers are with you, and please know that there is unbelievable support on these boards. We are an army in pink and combined have quite an arsenal of ammunition to get thru this.Keep posting, vent all you want, and ask questions. Someone usually has the answer or can lead you to someone or something that will help. God bless You.

Allergic reactions to chemo drugs
    Thank you so much for your response. I am so sorry that you had to go through your problems with the chemo also. I feel better knowing you made it through. Congrats on being finished with your rad this Tuesday. Good Luck!! Gemini