Clothes

Menda
Menda Member Posts: 128
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hello. This is my first post. I have 2 questions.
1). Having breast sparing double masectomy with immediate reconstruction.
Any spacific questions to ask surgeon on meeting 6/29?
2). After surgery I have been told that "patio dresses" ( the ones that zip up the front) are best.
Any other ideas. My grandmother wore those!

Comments

• cavediver
    cavediver Member Posts: 607
    serengeti catalog...not your grandma's clothes
    before my surgery, I ordered a few dresses from serengeticatalog.com
    They look like pretty sun dresses....button down the entire front....have short sleaves...and actually look great and make you feel human and attractive. I put on a nice straw hat & scarf, and can go out and feel good about myself. In the mornings when I first wake up, I put on a 'patio dress' and I feel old and like grandma!
  • Menda
    cavediver said:

They look like pretty sun dresses....button down the entire front....have short sleaves...and actually look great and make you feel human and attractive. I put on a nice straw hat & scarf, and can go out and feel good about myself. In the mornings when I first wake up, I put on a 'patio dress' and I feel old and like grandma!

Thank you. I knew something
    Thank you. I knew something was out there but did not know where to look. I am a grandmother, don't want to look like one. Thanks.
  • jk1952
    jk1952 Member Posts: 613
    Menda said:

Thank you. I knew something
    Thank you. I knew something was out there but did not know where to look. I am a grandmother, don't want to look like one. Thanks.

Actually, any type of button
    Actually, any type of button or zip top works fine. I don't wear a lot of dresses, so a top with sweats was good for 'at home', and a top with pants was good for when I was out. After I got rid of the drains, I was able to start doing tank tops or camis under another shirt.

Joyce
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    cavediver said:

I didn't have this surgery,
    I didn't have this surgery, but, wanted to wish you good luck!

Hugs, Diane
  • Christine Louise
    Christine Louise Member Posts: 426 Member
    Ya want some of these patio dresses?
    I laid in a supply, but they're not really necessary. As has been said, anything COMFY that opens down the front will work. No pullover tops because you won't want to or be able to raise your arms like that for awhile.

I'd ask the surgeon for the complete schedule of what happens after surgery. For example, when do you find out stage, grade, HER2, estrogen and progesterone status. When do you know if you are a candidate for Oncotypedx test (tells you if chemo is useful).

I'd ask the plastic surgeon what the fill schedule might be. I assume you've met with her? When might you get implants.

My bilat and expanders were Jan. 25. Chemo was finished 3 weeks ago. I get implants July 7!!! It's a long road, Menda, but there's a light at the end for sure. Keep us informed of what's happening with you, please.
  • AMomNETN
    AMomNETN Member Posts: 242
    Clothes
    I just found buton up shirts and wore sweat pants or yoga pants. Yoga pants are very comfortable. Anything that zips up the front or buttons would be fine.
  • Menda
    Thanks for all the advice.
    Thanks for all the advice. This is gonna suck Bad enough without looking like my grandmother. Pre-op is 6/29 and surgery will be 7/8. I do not have cancer yet. Been having biopsys for at least 11 years. It is now a question of when it turns not if it turns. They want to do this while I am healthy. Reconstruction will take place at the same time.

Thanks for all your support , just scared and will check back daily.
  • Menda

Ya want some of these patio dresses?
    I laid in a supply, but they're not really necessary. As has been said, anything COMFY that opens down the front will work. No pullover tops because you won't want to or be able to raise your arms like that for awhile.

I'd ask the surgeon for the complete schedule of what happens after surgery. For example, when do you find out stage, grade, HER2, estrogen and progesterone status. When do you know if you are a candidate for Oncotypedx test (tells you if chemo is useful).

I'd ask the plastic surgeon what the fill schedule might be. I assume you've met with her? When might you get implants.

My bilat and expanders were Jan. 25. Chemo was finished 3 weeks ago. I get implants July 7!!! It's a long road, Menda, but there's a light at the end for sure. Keep us informed of what's happening with you, please.

Surgery 7/8 we will do this
    Surgery 7/8 we will do this together :)
  • Christine Louise
    Christine Louise Member Posts: 426 Member
    Menda said:

Surgery 7/8 we will do this
    Surgery 7/8 we will do this together :)

Yeah, here we come!
    I just blabbed on another thread about how I resent being called "brave" when I'm just doing what I have to do to beat this cancer.

Gotta say, though, those of you who have the guts to get prophylatic mastectomies ARE brave!
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Menda said:

Thanks for all the advice.
    Thanks for all the advice. This is gonna suck Bad enough without looking like my grandmother. Pre-op is 6/29 and surgery will be 7/8. I do not have cancer yet. Been having biopsys for at least 11 years. It is now a question of when it turns not if it turns. They want to do this while I am healthy. Reconstruction will take place at the same time.

Thanks for all your support , just scared and will check back daily.

I was in the process of
    I was in the process of looking for a propholactic mastectomy on my other side and was too late, so YOU GO Girl! good choice.
  • Menda

Yeah, here we come!
    I just blabbed on another thread about how I resent being called "brave" when I'm just doing what I have to do to beat this cancer.

Gotta say, though, those of you who have the guts to get prophylatic mastectomies ARE brave!

I am just as scared as
    I am just as scared as everyone else. I just haven't heard those words and I can not imagine ANYTHING worse than that. Remember the doctors told me it was not a "if" but "when" and I am just like the rest of you trying to grow old as gracefully as possible. I did feel sorry for my self today and bought a dress and sandals. I just needed to feel pretty. We are
    all brave and the people I have spoken with are becomming very important to me. Thank you
  • Menda

Yeah, here we come!

I am just as scared as
    I am just as scared as everyone else. I just haven't heard those words and I can not imagine ANYTHING worse than that. Remember the doctors told me it was not a "if" but "when" and I am just like the rest of you trying to grow old as gracefully as possible. I did feel sorry for my self today and bought a dress and sandals. I just needed to feel pretty. We are
    all brave and the people I have spoken with are becomming very important to me. Thank you
  • cavediver
    cavediver Member Posts: 607
    look good --- feel better
    After my mastectomy I wore elastic waisted pants and button down tops or my husband's oversized shirts...I was concentrating on the pain and drains..... but then one day I put on make-up from the ACS Look Good - Feel Better program, and put on one of the sundresses I had purchased pre-surgery, and a pretty straw hat...WOW, what a difference! I actually felt human and ok to go out in public..even if just to the dr. office for checkup. So, Menda, I totally understand your statement when you bought the dress and sandals that you wanted to feel pretty....it really is important. The days I put on a touch of make up (eyebrows, lip gloss) and earrings, etc. I actually feel better about myself. It is all a journey...and we all find our own path to the final destination...The Dance!
    Keep us posted on your progress, we are all there for you!
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    I'm scared....
    I'm scared. My bilateral mastectomies are a week from Tuesday. I have ILC in the right breast (6.8cm) and a small precancerous tumor (LCIS) in the left breast. Because I will be having both radiation and chemo my surgeon recommended delaying reconstruction. The only kind of shirts I can wear are pullovers. 4 years ago I shattered my left shoulder and before it could be replaced with a prosthesis I fell on black ice and fractured my right shoulder. Then I developed a bone infection and now have no left humeral head (can't raise my left arm) and a reverse total shoulder prosthesis in the right shoulder. It took months of physical therapy to get to the point where I could dress myself.... I got rid of all my shirts that had buttons! What do I do now?
  • bluwillo
    bluwillo Member Posts: 113
    cahjah75 said:

I'm scared....
    I'm scared. My bilateral mastectomies are a week from Tuesday. I have ILC in the right breast (6.8cm) and a small precancerous tumor (LCIS) in the left breast. Because I will be having both radiation and chemo my surgeon recommended delaying reconstruction. The only kind of shirts I can wear are pullovers. 4 years ago I shattered my left shoulder and before it could be replaced with a prosthesis I fell on black ice and fractured my right shoulder. Then I developed a bone infection and now have no left humeral head (can't raise my left arm) and a reverse total shoulder prosthesis in the right shoulder. It took months of physical therapy to get to the point where I could dress myself.... I got rid of all my shirts that had buttons! What do I do now?

Goodwill is your friend!
    Seriously, go to resale shops, the Salvation Army, or your friends. It's totally ok and understandable to be scared (I don't remember much of last summer because I was so scared (pre-surgery) that life just passed me by. I regret that). Try not to let the fear rule your life. Concentrate on things like clothes, how you'll re-arrange your bedroom so you can watch TV without the drains bugging you, how to set up the bathroom for drain ease (dang, I hated the drains!).

Go ahead, get anal about stuff most people never bother thinking about. Plan a reading list and round up the books. Tell your friends and family what you want...in many cases, they are thrilled to have something they can do for you.

For me, distraction was the name of the game. I was also going to college full time, and decided that this stupid cancer wasn't gonna slow that degree down. I'm all done with treatment (for now...I have a feeling cancer and I will dance again, and I'll win, AGAIN, cos I just run faster than the cancer and have too much to do yet)and only have to write 2 papers to get my degree in November.

Check with your insurance company about getting a wig. Until I came here (Memorial day weekend) I didn't know that my insurance would pay for 2 prothesis (my middle finger to cancer is refusing to learn to spell all its words properly...utter disdain!) and 2 bras (one bra, one camisole that rocks my hot summer world!)...all free under my insurance. No one at any of my doctor's offices bothered to mention that to me. I also suspect that my insurance will pay for a wig, so tomorrow I will be calling about that. (Another great distraction is wondering what kind of hair you'll get after chemo. I ordered Strawberry Blonde from God, He's laughing His head off cos He sent me brillo-pad gray! Of course, L'Oreal will be my new best friend!)

I would tell you not to be afraid, but last year, after my Dx, if anyone had told me not to be afraid, I would have totally beat them up!!! But, I did not let the fear rule my life, I had a 6 yr old grandson visiting for the summer for distraction. I gave the fear certain portions of my day ("today, while doing the dishes, you can be scared and cry because no one can hear you over the sound of the water running...tomorrow you can be scared in the car on the way to town cos no one can hear you cry over the sound of the music (I find LOUD music is a must!)". Of course, it didn't always work (I had a total melt down at my niece's wedding, but luckily, it was outside at a golf course, so everyone thought I was just out on the putting green communing with nature and that my feet hurt:)

When all else fails, come here. All these people are wonderful, and will stand by your side when you need propping up. I have found this site to be wonderful!!!
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Went clothes shopping
    Went clothes shopping today. With my messed up shoulders and of course I still have boobs it was a difficult process. I found 1 sleeveless shirt at Goodwill. I went to a local store and found 2 short sleeved shirts and I bought 2 tank dresses. My nightgowns have buttons so they're not a problem. I called the store at my hospital and have an appt Friday to be fitted for camisoles that zip up the front. They even have boobs in them and I can wear one home from the hospital on Tuesday. I'm feeling a bit better about all of this. It will be a challenge but I will overcome!
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    jk1952 said:

Actually, any type of button
    Actually, any type of button or zip top works fine. I don't wear a lot of dresses, so a top with sweats was good for 'at home', and a top with pants was good for when I was out. After I got rid of the drains, I was able to start doing tank tops or camis under another shirt.

Joyce

Menda, I had a lumpectomy,
    Menda, I had a lumpectomy, but, wanted to wish you good luck with your surgery.

Hugs, Angie