I think I'm ready

Hope 2010
Hope 2010 Member Posts: 62
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
First, I wanted to thank everyone for their questions they posted and answers/support from others. I am have IDC and subtype is ER+/PR+, still wating for tests on the HER2/neu since I was borderline.

I finally got to meet with the surgeon after getting back all of my tests for me to decide which way I wanted to go, lump, mast or bi-mast. I'm really happy with my current surgeon and he went over everything with me. I had my list of questions based on my research and also from this board...but since my surgeon went over everything and even touched on all of my questions without me asking...it made me relax. One thing he did keep saying to me even on the first meeting is that "I'm the boss of my body." I could decide on what I wanted to do with the information that I gather. He did give me his opinion, but since I was the one that was going to live with the final results and it's is all about my mental state I had to make the ultimate decision.

At first I was going to do a mast. w/recon because I thought this thing was big in me because I can feel it, yuck. It was 1.9 x 3cm - cancer site plus a satellite. But I decided on a lump after my surgeon went over all of the different procedures. He showed me about how much was going to be removed and where the incisions were going to be placed. I'm hoping that I will have clean margins so that I don't have to go in again and that my lymph nodes are clean as well. But he did caution me that there was a chance that if I didn't have clear margins and/or my lymph nodes were not clean, then we will need to revisit it again. I'm hoping that all goes well and I can continue on my journey to recovery. I know there's a light at the end of the tunnel as you have shown me.

My surgery date is schedule for 6/21. Again thank you for your kind words and support on this forum.

Patty

Comments

• cavediver
    cavediver Member Posts: 607
    glad you are on your way
    glad you are on your way to getting this done. You will be fine...sounds like you have a great surgeon and you have educated yourself and made the right decision for yourself. Good luck and keep us posted...
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    cavediver said:

glad you are on your way
    glad you are on your way to getting this done. You will be fine...sounds like you have a great surgeon and you have educated yourself and made the right decision for yourself. Good luck and keep us posted...

Doesn't it feel good to make
    Doesn't it feel good to make your decision? And, it sounds like you have really given this a lot of thought, which we all should. Wishing you good luck with your surgery! Be sure and keep us updated.

Hugs, Debby
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Patty, congratulations on
    Patty, congratulations on making that very difficult decision that ONLY you can make. Now, just focus on positive thoughts. Wishing you a very successful surgery with clear margins and no lymph node involvement. Keep us updated on your status as you recover. Take care.
  • 2Floridiansisters
    2Floridiansisters Member Posts: 384 Member
    MyTurnNow said:

Patty, congratulations on
    Patty, congratulations on making that very difficult decision that ONLY you can make. Now, just focus on positive thoughts. Wishing you a very successful surgery with clear margins and no lymph node involvement. Keep us updated on your status as you recover. Take care.

Congratulations Patty,
    Sounds like you have a fabulous surgeon, you wanna trade?

Love Ronda
  • greyhoundluvr
    greyhoundluvr Member Posts: 402
    Patty -
    Congratiulations on taking that first big step of deciding on what surgery is right for you. More positive thoughts coming your way for clean margins and no lymph node involvement!!
  • Hope 2010
    Hope 2010 Member Posts: 62

Congratulations Patty,
    Sounds like you have a fabulous surgeon, you wanna trade?

Love Ronda

Thanks again for your kind
    Thanks again for your kind words -- And yes, once I made the decision it took a huge weight off of my shoulders.

Rhonda..I won't trade for the world but would share him ;) Did you have a appt today with your surgeon? How did go?

Thanks,
    Patty
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member

Patty -
    Congratiulations on taking that first big step of deciding on what surgery is right for you. More positive thoughts coming your way for clean margins and no lymph node involvement!!

Congrats Patty on making a
    Congrats Patty on making a very informative decision that suited you. Praying for clean margins! And, the best of luck with your surgery.

Hugs, Diane