masectomy was done

teresa41
teresa41 Member Posts: 471
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
i had my masectomy on may 20,2010 it has been painful lots of swelling, i thought it might be a little better by now, but i am big busted my dr said it will take a longer time. i got through it the good news is no chemo or radiation this time the cancer was caught early.

teresa

Comments

• wendybia
    wendybia Member Posts: 73
    sooooooo happy for you
    way to go teresa...this too will pass....wendy
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Teresa, no chemo or
    Teresa, no chemo or radiation sounds great. Just rest and recover and you'll be as good as new in no time. At least you won't have to suffer any of the side effects of the additional treatment. Take care of yourself!!
  • 2Floridiansisters
    2Floridiansisters Member Posts: 384 Member
    MyTurnNow said:

Teresa, no chemo or
    Teresa, no chemo or radiation sounds great. Just rest and recover and you'll be as good as new in no time. At least you won't have to suffer any of the side effects of the additional treatment. Take care of yourself!!

Hello teresa41
    I'm just a wee bit confused, why are they still not recommending chemo or radiation, even though it was caught early?Wouldn't you want it anyway just to give yourself more peace of mine?

I am big busted too and I'm getting a double even though I can have a single, I haven't heard about not getting further treatment besides surgery, I would insist on it.

Can you come back and tell me what they are thinking, maybe I can get the same option so to speak as you....

I wish you well on your recovery.

Love Ronda
  • greyhoundluvr
    greyhoundluvr Member Posts: 402
    Teresa -
    Congratulations - that is good news! Hang in there, you are three weeks out and it only gets easier from here. That is a big surgery and you have gotten through the worst so just continue to be patient and good to yourself. Best wishes!
  • wendybia
    wendybia Member Posts: 73

Hello teresa41
    I'm just a wee bit confused, why are they still not recommending chemo or radiation, even though it was caught early?Wouldn't you want it anyway just to give yourself more peace of mine?

I am big busted too and I'm getting a double even though I can have a single, I haven't heard about not getting further treatment besides surgery, I would insist on it.

Can you come back and tell me what they are thinking, maybe I can get the same option so to speak as you....

Love Ronda

for me anyways
    i had right side mastectomy 12/2009...i'm er/pr + and her2 -...no node involvement...octotype test score came back 1 % chance of recurrence....oncologist feels chemo would do more harm then good...i've started hormone therapy...she is medically putting me in menapause so i can take the femara drug...better results with femara over tamoxifin....i have a tremendous amount of confidence in my onc..she was recognized by ACS as one of their Doctors of the year...the give this to five docs a year and i'm lucky enough to be seeing one of them...just my story tho....wendy
  • teresa41
    teresa41 Member Posts: 471

Hello teresa41

Love Ronda

ronda
    my report came back ductal carcinoma insitu stage 0 after i had surgery. i had invasive ductal carcinoma stage 2 on my left breast april 2009, i had a lumpectomy 4 rounds of chemo and 33 radiation treatments,so my oncoligist said no treatment this time it was not invasive.i will take tamoxifen for 5 years for the left breast. i was er + pr+ her-

best of luck to you

teresa
  • 2Floridiansisters
    2Floridiansisters Member Posts: 384 Member

Teresa -
    Congratulations - that is good news! Hang in there, you are three weeks out and it only gets easier from here. That is a big surgery and you have gotten through the worst so just continue to be patient and good to yourself. Best wishes!

That sounds good teresa and for you too wendybia
    Wow I learn something new everyday, I can only imagine the joy this brings you.

Will I be so lucky????

Take good care of yourselves ladies, Love Ronda
  • Third_Generation
    Third_Generation Member Posts: 121
    Teresa,
    I had double

Teresa,
    I had double mastectomies in jan this year and no chemo or rad. My aunt had the same type of cancer 13 yrs ago and is still cancer free.
    Auntie did not have any pain afterwards, but I had painful skin for two months. I heard about self massage to help that pain and did it consistently and it really helped the pain. I am 6 months out now and feeling great. I also had to be aspirated again and again and drains went back in etc.
    My friends with experience kept saying it takes 6 months..it was major surgery..etc. but I still thought 2 weeks and I would be all healed...lol...
    anyway, Teresa, do give it time, try self massage to see if that helps the pain. Rest and take care of yourself and believe that the swelling will go down after time... 3 weeks is not long....even though I thought it was when I was chugging along.
    Best Wishes,
    Brenda
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294

Teresa,
    I had double

Teresa,
    I had double mastectomies in jan this year and no chemo or rad. My aunt had the same type of cancer 13 yrs ago and is still cancer free.
    Auntie did not have any pain afterwards, but I had painful skin for two months. I heard about self massage to help that pain and did it consistently and it really helped the pain. I am 6 months out now and feeling great. I also had to be aspirated again and again and drains went back in etc.
    My friends with experience kept saying it takes 6 months..it was major surgery..etc. but I still thought 2 weeks and I would be all healed...lol...
    anyway, Teresa, do give it time, try self massage to see if that helps the pain. Rest and take care of yourself and believe that the swelling will go down after time... 3 weeks is not long....even though I thought it was when I was chugging along.
    Best Wishes,
    Brenda

Teresa
    it is nice to hear from you. Good news from your pathology report.
    Wishing you speedy recovery and easy healing! Please be gentle to yourself.
    Hugs,
    New Flower
  • SamuraiMom
    SamuraiMom Member Posts: 295
    xxoo
    Hi Teresa,

You're in my thoughts. I know how you're feeling. You wish you would wake up in the morning and poof, magically there is no pain.

I was a DD and had both removed. I envisioned Mike Mulligan the Steam Shovel taking them out!! (it must have at least taken that! ;) )

Hang in there my love.

It took me over six months minimum to stop protecting myself from every graze and bump.

But every week it got better and better.

It becomes habit to protect the area so I had to really stop and think sometimes a few months later, if what just touched me REALLY hurt or not.

Your doctor is right, time is it. I tried being SuperWoman and to get back to "normal" too soon and it backfired on me.

I found a lot more peace when I stopped expecting so much. Sounds crazy but when I lowered my expectations (which were way too high by the way) my life seemed to calm down a bit and things just started to fall into place effortlessly.

The Control Freak in me was officially retired.

Now I'm just a Freak...just kidding! Just my humor is the Freak! ;)

xxoo,
    SamuraiMom
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    MyTurnNow said:

Teresa, no chemo or

Glad your surgery is behind
    Glad your surgery is behind you now Teresa. I am surprised too that you won't have radiation at least. Now rest and recover!

Hugs, Megan
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member

Teresa -

Congrats Teresa on this huge
    Congrats Teresa on this huge step being behind you now! Take care!

Sue :)
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991

Teresa,
    I had double

Teresa,
    Best Wishes,
    Brenda

Teresa, so happy for you!
    Teresa, so happy for you! No rads or chemo! Woohoo! Take care!
  • slynch
    slynch Member Posts: 82
    Superwomen
    Yes we superwomen want to believe that we will be all ready to go in a couple of weeks. Not happening -- my husband had to keep reminding me that I did have major surgery. I am 8 weeks out and after working all day I still have to take a pain pill at night. The swelling and numbness do get better but I still have places that I cannot feel. Just hang in there and take your time. I too do not have to have chemo or rad so I count that as a blessing everyday.
  • Cat64
    Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
    Teresa
    Thank you for the update. So sorry to hear you are in such pain. That is great news that you don't have to do Chemo or Rads again. Take gentle care of yourself. Thoughts & Prayers are with you.
    Hugz,
    Cat
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    slynch said:

Superwomen
    Yes we superwomen want to believe that we will be all ready to go in a couple of weeks. Not happening -- my husband had to keep reminding me that I did have major surgery. I am 8 weeks out and after working all day I still have to take a pain pill at night. The swelling and numbness do get better but I still have places that I cannot feel. Just hang in there and take your time. I too do not have to have chemo or rad so I count that as a blessing everyday.

That is true..we sometimes
    That is true..we sometimes think we are superwomen and we are not. When you have major surgery like this, you really just need to rest and relax. You should let others wait on you. Hoping you heal soon and feel good.
  • ms.sunshine
    ms.sunshine Member Posts: 707 Member
    Cat64 said:

Teresa
    Thank you for the update. So sorry to hear you are in such pain. That is great news that you don't have to do Chemo or Rads again. Take gentle care of yourself. Thoughts & Prayers are with you.
    Hugz,
    Cat

No rads or chemo great
    No rads or chemo great news.
    Take care
    Jennifer