I found a bra that is comfy for the expander girls out there

TawnyS
TawnyS Member Posts: 144 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
So, I have expanders in right now and I bought a couple of UGLY and overpriced bras from my ps office. I know that some of you were asking what to wear with the expanders and so on. Even though my ps would like for me to wear the bra during the day, most of the time I don't. It has like 6 hooks in the front and it is pleated from the hook area on each side and it has sewn darts...you know...like tailored.....FOR NIPPLES! Excuse me...I don't have nipples and cannot fill out the sewn darts for the nipple storage area. Anyway, it looks all bumpy and ugly when I have on a tighter fitting shirt. And I didn't know this until I got the expanders, but they are not symmetrical. One is all crazy and big and the other looks great and actually looks like an implant. My ps explained the reason the one looks good(the "good" one is the side I had bc)is because more fat and tissue was taken for clean margins and my other side I still have a bit of fat under my pit and toward my back. Ok...makes sense. And, did she just call me fat?lol! She promised when I get the implants they will be perfect. Ok. Anyway, about the new bra I found today. It is at Target and it is called Simply Perfect by Warners. There are several styles...they are not underwires. Very soft and smooth and a little padded so even though I am not exactly even on both sides this bra makes me look that way. I put on a tight fitting t shirt and my little hard as turtle shell girls looked perfect! I am so happy! The style I got doesn't even have adjustable straps and it fits great! The price was $12.99 and the hangers had a $1.50 off coupon good through 6/30. Just wanted to share my find! Have a great day!

Comments

• Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    woo hoo!
    thanks, Tawny!

anything that helps with the tortoise shells is a find! I'll go and check them out. I've gone through almost every stage from not wanting anything to touch them to wearing an underwire bra. Mine are so far apart that my old bras hurt when I wear them. Thanks again! I'm going to make a target run this afternoon! :)
  • greyhoundluvr
    greyhoundluvr Member Posts: 402
    Thanks, Tawny!
    It's good to know that there is an option and I am going to save this as a favorite for if I get to the point of buying bras before my exchange surgery. My PS was fine with me going braless and my radiation oncologist was ecstatic when I told her I didn't wear one. So I'm going to wait and worry about that after I get done with rads....it's certainly not like these girls are bouncing around or anything:)
  • JanInMN
    JanInMN Member Posts: 149
    Thank you!
    That is great info to have! "nipple storage area"!!!! you crack me up!!! :-)
  • SamuraiMom
    SamuraiMom Member Posts: 295
    Insider Trading ;)
    Hi TawnyS!

This is exactly the kind of insider info I would love to put on my website to help other survivors.

Any chance you'd be interested in sharing it out there?

If so, email me at mymastectomy@mymastectomyonline.com.

XXOO,
    SamuraiMom

p.s. your photo is so beautiful! I always smile when I see it!
  • camsgram
    camsgram Member Posts: 106
    Thanks Tawny good to know I
    Thanks Tawny good to know I will check them out. You could make a living shopping for all of us!
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000

woo hoo!
    thanks, Tawny!

anything that helps with the tortoise shells is a find! I'll go and check them out. I've gone through almost every stage from not wanting anything to touch them to wearing an underwire bra. Mine are so far apart that my old bras hurt when I wear them. Thanks again! I'm going to make a target run this afternoon! :)

I had a lumpectomy and don't
    I had a lumpectomy and don't need a bra like this, but, wanted to thank you Tawny for posting this for others!
  • Kgy
    Kgy Member Posts: 30
    Thank you!
    Tawny,

I have been in desperat search of a bra that fits! Your right most of them have a pointed area that is not needed by some of us!

Thanks again I will check them out on my way home from work today!
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    JanInMN said:

Thank you!
    That is great info to have! "nipple storage area"!!!! you crack me up!!! :-)

Good info! I love Target!

Good info! I love Target!
  • linpsu
    linpsu Member Posts: 747
    Kgy said:

Thank you!
    Tawny,

I have been in desperat search of a bra that fits! Your right most of them have a pointed area that is not needed by some of us!

Thanks again I will check them out on my way home from work today!

Bali bra
    When I had my left-side mastectomy 2 years ago and had and expander put in, my problem was not so much with evening out the size of the 2 breasts, but the evening out the height! My new expander breast was like a perky 12-year-old just developing, while my original 56-year-old breast was drooping 2 inches lower! I found a wonderful Bali bra, can't remember the name of it, but it was advertised as having "concealer petals" which hid any nipple protusion. Since I had only one nipple, this was a huge problem, and this great bra solved all my problems! It was sturdy enough with fiberfill and support to hide the uneveness of both size and height of my 2 very different breasts, as well as hide the fact that I had only one nipple. I cannot say enough good things about this bra - it's the only kind I wear now.