Donated the remainder of my Hats

BlownAway60
BlownAway60 Member Posts: 851
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I guess I made about 60 hats all together. The majority of them I sold and donated the proceeds to the American Cancer Society through our Relay for Life team. I took the 22 that I had left and donated them to the University of Miami Sylvester Cancer Institute CTU. I personnaly gave 5 away today while I was getting Herceptin. I left the rest for the nurses to give to those who needed them. Of those I personnaly gave away,4 went to ladies and one to a man. The ladies cried when I told them they were free. No cost to them. I told them I have been there and I know what it is like to not have hair. It only took my time and a small amout of money but the looks on their faces made up for it.

Hugs

Donna

Comments

• carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    what a lovely thing to
    what a lovely thing to do.!!! but that is you !
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Donna, that was a very sweet
    Donna, that was a very sweet thing to do. I know the recepients were thrilled. You are a special and caring person. But, we already knew that, didn't we? Thanks for sharing this very uplifting story of your generosity.
  • greyhoundluvr
    greyhoundluvr Member Posts: 402
    Donna -
    I am doing the same thing - great minds must run alike. I like to keep my hands busy especially if I am sitting and watching TV and work on a lot of different craft projects - my therapy of the month! I found that a lot of my hats were too hot to wear as it got warmer so I made a couple for me out of cotton with a slight amount of elastic. I liked them so much that I just started making more to give away. My onc saw the one I was wearing when I was getting labs drawn one day and asked where I got it - when I told her I was making more to donate, she gave me a list of 9 local places that would want them. I got onto this when I heard at the wig/hat shop that Medicaid and Medicare would not pay for any of these let alone the folks who don't have insurance. It is probably more therapeutic for me but it makes me feel like I am doing something useful....so NC will have a supply as well!
  • BlownAway60

Donna -
    I am doing the same thing - great minds must run alike. I like to keep my hands busy especially if I am sitting and watching TV and work on a lot of different craft projects - my therapy of the month! I found that a lot of my hats were too hot to wear as it got warmer so I made a couple for me out of cotton with a slight amount of elastic. I liked them so much that I just started making more to give away. My onc saw the one I was wearing when I was getting labs drawn one day and asked where I got it - when I told her I was making more to donate, she gave me a list of 9 local places that would want them. I got onto this when I heard at the wig/hat shop that Medicaid and Medicare would not pay for any of these let alone the folks who don't have insurance. It is probably more therapeutic for me but it makes me feel like I am doing something useful....so NC will have a supply as well!

I could see that one of the
    I could see that one of the ladies I gave a hat to had very very thin hair. She put her hat on right away while we were still in the waiting area. I saw her again getting her chemo in the chemo lab. She was all covered up with a blanket from her head to her toes and you could see my little hat sticking out on top. Made me so proud. When she went to the bathroom I asked her if she would like another hat and she thought she would have to give up the one I had already given her and she told me "NO". I assured her that she could have another plus the one she had and she was so happy. When we left I saw her again and she was wearing the second hat she had selected.

I have been pretty blessed in my life and the idea of paying it forward just makes me feel sooooo good inside. I know it must make you feel like that too.

Donna
  • BlownAway60
    MyTurnNow said:

Donna, that was a very sweet
    Donna, that was a very sweet thing to do. I know the recepients were thrilled. You are a special and caring person. But, we already knew that, didn't we? Thanks for sharing this very uplifting story of your generosity.

Thanks Carkris and MyTurnNow
    Thanks Carkris and MyTurnNow for the kind words.

We are all special aren't we.

Donna
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    carkris said:

what a lovely thing to
    what a lovely thing to do.!!! but that is you !

Love your hats! How very
    Love your hats! How very kind of you to donate them!
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member

Thanks Carkris and MyTurnNow
    Thanks Carkris and MyTurnNow for the kind words.

We are all special aren't we.

Donna

That was so very sweet and
    That was so very sweet and generous of you! I love the hats too!