Mamogram without breasts

Mariannemm
Mariannemm Member Posts: 136
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Here is my question...it just came to my mind that how can I have a mamogram if I don't have breasts? Will the doctor just order another type of test to check me? I don't know when or if I will do reconstuction but if I do will I have mamograms with the implants? I guess I just thought I would never have another now that I don't have real ones?

Comments

• 2Floridiansisters
    2Floridiansisters Member Posts: 384 Member
    Good Question
    I've wondered the same thing but felt kind of embarrassed to ask it.
  • youngnana
    youngnana Member Posts: 41
    I had a bilateral mastectomy
    I had a bilateral mastectomy March 2010, and was told that I would not have mammograms in the future. My understanding is that I will continue to my surgeon as well as my oncologist every 3 months for quite some time, not sure if they will be looking for symptoms, or if they will do some kind of testing on those visits.
    That is definatly something I will ask.
    Karen
  • Dot53
    Dot53 Member Posts: 239 Member
    My onco said that as soon as
    My onco said that as soon as my expanders are exchanged for implants I will begin to have annual mri's. no more mamograms....

Dot
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    In my case
    They only do mammograms on the side not affected. The right side is gone (no reconstruction) so it just gets checked by hand by the oncologist.
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    No mammograms for me. I had
    No mammograms for me. I had bilateral mastectomies and was told not to have another mammogram.
  • m-star
    m-star Member Posts: 441

No mammograms for me. I had bilateral mastectomies and was told not to have another mammogram.

me too. i had bilateral mx
    me too. i had bilateral mx and was told i would no longer be able to (nor need) a mammogram.
    As 100% of breast tissue cannot be removed,the odd cells that gets left are generally places like the top of the chest wall,around your sides and top of the abdomen,so will be palpable for lumps.

i will get checked manually.Not sure if i will get MRI or ultrasound as well,but they havn't mentioned it.

I did have to weigh this up when considering my bilaterals,as my surgery was for prevention.It was either remove the "time-bomb" tissue,or keep it and carry on having annual mammo,MRI and ultrasounds.
  • m-star
    m-star Member Posts: 441

me too. i had bilateral mx
    oops double posted!
  • greyhoundluvr
    greyhoundluvr Member Posts: 402
    Diagnostics
    Both my onc and my radiation oncologist told me that if I had lumpectomy, I would alternate mammogram and MRi every six months. With a bilateral mastectomy, there would be manual examination only. My radiation oncologist showed me how to do a "breast exam" with no breasts (to just rub my fingers from the scar out in all directions" and said that a recurrence would feel like a pimple under the skin. I plan to stagger my visits with all my docs so someone besides me is checking this frequently!!
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member

Diagnostics
    Both my onc and my radiation oncologist told me that if I had lumpectomy, I would alternate mammogram and MRi every six months. With a bilateral mastectomy, there would be manual examination only. My radiation oncologist showed me how to do a "breast exam" with no breasts (to just rub my fingers from the scar out in all directions" and said that a recurrence would feel like a pimple under the skin. I plan to stagger my visits with all my docs so someone besides me is checking this frequently!!

I always thought you would
    I always thought you would still get ultrasounds and MRI's since you still have breast tissue left, even with a mastectomy. You can't always feel cancer. Right?
  • Roc1463
    Roc1463 Member Posts: 3
    Mamogram without breasts
    Hi Mariannemm... I too had a bilateral;however an MRI is taken to view the cheast wall as well as office visits with palpitations by my medical ono. Probably the same thing for reconstruction. Talk to your medical onocologist about your concern.
  • greyhoundluvr
    greyhoundluvr Member Posts: 402
    jnl said:

I always thought you would
    I always thought you would still get ultrasounds and MRI's since you still have breast tissue left, even with a mastectomy. You can't always feel cancer. Right?

jnl
    I was surprised too because I figured that with the expanders and eventually implants there would be enough to put in the little "holes" for the breast MRI but both of my oncs and the radiation oncologist have told me the same thing. They all said that because everything is stripped down to the muscle that it will be very palpable in the breast. With regard to the lymph nodes, I was told that the nodes "light up" on MRI anyway so it is very difficult to read the scan as abnormal unless there is more advanced disease. In fact, I had two radiologists and my surgeon tell me that my nodes on the breast MRI looked perfectly normal but we got surprised with 2 positive nodes at surgery. I haven't heard of doing the chest MRI but maybe that is different with some doctors or in some areas of the country....
  • Mariannemm
    Mariannemm Member Posts: 136
    Roc1463 said:

Mamogram without breasts
    Hi Mariannemm... I too had a bilateral;however an MRI is taken to view the cheast wall as well as office visits with palpitations by my medical ono. Probably the same thing for reconstruction. Talk to your medical onocologist about your concern.

Thank you!
    I will ask, I see my onc on Monday. I only have 2 more Taxol treatments left and then onto radiation. I figured I would have an MRI or ultrasound, but wanted to know what others had been told or done.
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member

Thank you!
    I will ask, I see my onc on Monday. I only have 2 more Taxol treatments left and then onto radiation. I figured I would have an MRI or ultrasound, but wanted to know what others had been told or done.

ok call me stupid
    You need to explain to me how they do a mammy without a breast to crush. I get the MRI, but a Mammy ??