Cancer and money

MichPro
MichPro Member Posts: 19
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Finally scheduled for first chemo next Monday afternoon. Nurse is calling in an RX for Emend. I need 3 pills! Cost? Somewhere over $400, she says. She said I had chemo once a week for 4 weeks with two meds: Adria and Cytoxin. Plus, more RXs for other symptoms post chemo. Then, 4 more weeks with something else, another chemo.
Used up all paid leave at work. My BC/BS will reimburse me 80%. How do people manage cancer treatment, work, and pay the mortgage??? Who knows about the two chemos to start with?

Comments

• jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    There is a lot of help out
    There is a lot of help out there for people that need it for cancer treatments. Contacting the ACS is the first step. Also, most hospitals consider cases where there is a need for financial assistance and often have programs in place to help with just that. I think the Susan B. Komen foundation also helps. So, there is help out there.

Hugs, Leeza
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    jnl said:

There is a lot of help out
    There is a lot of help out there for people that need it for cancer treatments. Contacting the ACS is the first step. Also, most hospitals consider cases where there is a need for financial assistance and often have programs in place to help with just that. I think the Susan B. Komen foundation also helps. So, there is help out there.

Hugs, Leeza

I did not get any financial help
    I am a middle class, so we paid. I paid deductible $250, co-insurance maximum 2,000 and co-payments for medication. When you reach your co-insurence maximum, insurance should cover 100%. I had generic medications(pills) my co-payment is $15.
    My company had Short Term Disability program that covered 1000% for 20 weeks, so took it. Ask your HR about additional medical leave benefits they provide.
    Cancer is expensive, you have to manage your resources. .
    Good luck
  • Balentine
    Balentine Member Posts: 393

I did not get any financial help
    I am a middle class, so we paid. I paid deductible $250, co-insurance maximum 2,000 and co-payments for medication. When you reach your co-insurence maximum, insurance should cover 100%. I had generic medications(pills) my co-payment is $15.
    My company had Short Term Disability program that covered 1000% for 20 weeks, so took it. Ask your HR about additional medical leave benefits they provide.
    Cancer is expensive, you have to manage your resources. .
    Good luck

Type of insurance really matters also
    We are retired militry and have tricare prime retired which pays for everythingfrom my surgery, chemo and also gives me 2 years to do reconstruction thank God! My heart goes out to people who are diagnosed and then also have to worry about being able to afford the treatments. I cannot imagine how frustrating that can be. I will be praying for you that the other options that others have posted about this for you will give you some avenues to get the coverage that you need so you won't have to worry about getting the treatments that you need. May God bless you and your family and provide for your needs at this time.
    Lorrie
  • BunnyJane
    BunnyJane Member Posts: 213
    Balentine said:

Type of insurance really matters also
    We are retired militry and have tricare prime retired which pays for everythingfrom my surgery, chemo and also gives me 2 years to do reconstruction thank God! My heart goes out to people who are diagnosed and then also have to worry about being able to afford the treatments. I cannot imagine how frustrating that can be. I will be praying for you that the other options that others have posted about this for you will give you some avenues to get the coverage that you need so you won't have to worry about getting the treatments that you need. May God bless you and your family and provide for your needs at this time.
    Lorrie

Isn't dealing with BC enough?
    I know what you mean about the cost of treatments- as though dealing with the disease isn't bad enough. I had bilateral mastectomies (no reconstruction) and chemo (4 rounds)and the total out of pocket was about $8,800 (many items not covered).

I understand that there are agencies and organizations out there that have resources to help with the financial burdens- always a good idea to check to see what might be available so that you aren't taking on too much.

Best of luck with completing your treatments and getting back to normal.
  • greyhoundluvr
    greyhoundluvr Member Posts: 402
    Hi, MichPro
    I did not have the same chemo cocktail as you are (Adriamycin/Cytoxan and then I suspect the next one is Taxol) but there are a lot of ladies on here (and posts about it) so I'm sure you will get some help in that arena.

I know what a hassel dealing with insurance can be. You may have already done this but you may want to talk with your HR department or Blue Cross about your benefit plan. If this is through your employer (not an individual plan), the Blue Cross plans usually have an initial deductible where you pay everything up to that amount. In some of the plans, this includes your prescriptions. Then there is usually a co-insurance where you pay 20% up to a certain amount. For example, I had to meet a $400 deuctible and then pay 20% up to $2900. After that, they have paid 100% for everything. I had met my deductible by the time I started on my chemo so I only had to pay my copay for the eMend. I know this can still be a lot of $$$ but it may be that the 20% doesn't go on forever.

There is lots of great advice about possible financial support from the other ladies. And I agree with talking with your HR department at work if you are comfortable doing that about options. I know not everyone has short term disability but that might be an option (it only would have helped me if I stayed out of work since the first 5 days each event have to come out of vacation time). Depending upon th size of your employer, there may be other options such as company provided emergency leave or time off donations from other employees.

I wish you the best and hope you are able to find something that helps - there is enough stess aside from having to deal with all of this! Best wishes!

Chris
  • TawnyS
    TawnyS Member Posts: 144 Member
    I have BCBS
    and my part of the emend was $174.00! UGH! I know it costs so much to beat down this beast. I hope you find some financial assistance. The last thing you need to be stressed about is paying for meds and stuff you need. Best of luck to you! Oh, see if your oncologist has a coupon for a free Rx of emend. Mine did and he gave it to me, so that covered one fill. I know the manufacturer offers these free coupons because I got one. It is worth checking out.
  • sweetvickid
    sweetvickid Member Posts: 459 Member
    TawnyS said:

I have BCBS
    and my part of the emend was $174.00! UGH! I know it costs so much to beat down this beast. I hope you find some financial assistance. The last thing you need to be stressed about is paying for meds and stuff you need. Best of luck to you! Oh, see if your oncologist has a coupon for a free Rx of emend. Mine did and he gave it to me, so that covered one fill. I know the manufacturer offers these free coupons because I got one. It is worth checking out.

if your insurance wont cover
    The emend, the company that makes it will give it to you based on your income.
  • ms.sunshine
    ms.sunshine Member Posts: 707 Member
    Ask the center that you are
    Ask the center that you are having your treatments at. With me they applied for financial assitance based on my income. It only helped with the deductible and out-of-pocket expenses just for chemo, but that was better than nothing. I didn't have to take meds.
    My biggest concern was my mortgage and car payment. Call the company they may allow you a deferment, mine gave me 3 months.
  • MichPro
    MichPro Member Posts: 19
    TawnyS said:

I have BCBS

Meds
    My doctor gave me a coupon for the first chemo. I told God it was up to Him. I just cannot worry about it anymore.