Diet

sea60
sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
After diagnosis, what types of changes have you made in eating habits?

Comments

• ms.sunshine
    ms.sunshine Member Posts: 707 Member
    None. I ate healthy before.
    None. I ate healthy before. I ate more spinach, and broccoli than anyone I know.
    good luck to everyone who plans on changing their diets.
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member

None. I ate healthy before.
    None. I ate healthy before. I ate more spinach, and broccoli than anyone I know.
    good luck to everyone who plans on changing their diets.

I made lots of changes.
    I cut out red meat, added more fresh vegies and fruit and started a regular excersise routine. I recently cut out wheat and feel much less bloated.

Roseann
  • JanInMN
    JanInMN Member Posts: 149
    I'm eating all organic fruit
    I'm eating all organic fruit and veggies, and more of them. Smoothies are a great way to get all the fruit you need for the day, and you can even throw in some spinach leaves (that you don't even taste!). My milk comes from cows not treated with hormones, and my chicken and eggs also are "hormone free". I'm slowly moving to more organic foods, but it is a process...
    Great question!
    Jan
  • KayNYC
    KayNYC Member Posts: 495 Member
    few changes
    We cut out red meats years ago. We usually have plenty of veggies, fruit and whole grains as part of our diet however we are adding more organic foods. I have made more changes in regard to use of chemicals, cleaners around the house and in cosmetics, shampoos, make-up etc.
    K
    24242 Member Posts: 1,398
    KayNYC said:

few changes
    We cut out red meats years ago. We usually have plenty of veggies, fruit and whole grains as part of our diet however we are adding more organic foods. I have made more changes in regard to use of chemicals, cleaners around the house and in cosmetics, shampoos, make-up etc.
    K

Not much
    I too was a very healthy eater following a fit for life diet for more than 10 years. I actually have learned not to worry so much about those kinds of things when I spent half my life donig all I could to live healthier lives for me and my son.
    Looking at all the people who were diagnosed and how much of the family had cancer and there still is no genetic link has to make one wonder...
    Tara
  • m_azingrace
    m_azingrace Member Posts: 399
    24242 said:

Not much
    I too was a very healthy eater following a fit for life diet for more than 10 years. I actually have learned not to worry so much about those kinds of things when I spent half my life donig all I could to live healthier lives for me and my son.
    Looking at all the people who were diagnosed and how much of the family had cancer and there still is no genetic link has to make one wonder...
    Tara

Diet & nutrition
    Pre-diagnosis my diet was "moderately healthy". But in the past few months I've started avoiding deli-meats, cured meats, processed foods, and refined sugars (NO sugar substitutes). More nuts, whole grains, fruits and vegetables. I eat a lot less red meat and more fish and seafood. I'm also avoiding soy as much as possible (it seems to be in nearly everything). I'm trying to get HubbyDearest on board, but he's a hard sell. (sigh). Gracie
  • chihai
    chihai Member Posts: 8
    Diet
    I started to see an Accupunturist after I finished with chemotherapy. She changed my diet completely. My diet now consisted of white fish, rice, fruits and vegetables. Pretty much all natural. No processed food. No meat. No wheat. I also switched from cow's milk to goat's milk or almond milk. I researched and found that the diet I'm on is similar to the one called Macrobiotic. Mainly foods that are high in Alkaline and low in Acidic.

I do feel less bloated and more regular. I lost some weight too.

I do hope that this diet will help keeping the cancer away for good.

Smile.

Trang
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    I eat more ice cream! Or
    I eat more ice cream! Or things that aren't good for you but I just crave it! I've been wanting one of those donuts with cream inside and chocolate on top but haven't gotten one yet. I will add that I try to eat more fiber. I don't eat all junk food.
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Marcia527 said:

I eat more ice cream! Or
    I eat more ice cream! Or things that aren't good for you but I just crave it! I've been wanting one of those donuts with cream inside and chocolate on top but haven't gotten one yet. I will add that I try to eat more fiber. I don't eat all junk food.

I am with Marcia! I eat
    I am with Marcia! I eat more ice cream too! lol

Sue :)
  • MerleBee
    MerleBee Member Posts: 49
    Ritzy said:

I am with Marcia! I eat
    I am with Marcia! I eat more ice cream too! lol

Sue :)

You gals can eat?
    I had my first round of chemo on 5/13 and got an awful taste in my mouth that I couldn't shake. No appetite to speak of and when I did think I wnated something, as soon as I tasted it i didn't wnat it any more. Lost six pounds in the first round and got "spoken" to by my oncologist about not losing wieght. Don't really know what to do about that. I did crave ice cream but found that a Rita's Chocolate Misto was about all I could get down. No issue with nausea really, just no appetite and that awful taste. I have switched to as much organic produce and organic/non-hormonal dairy as I can. Three of the six of my siblings have been diagnosed with cancer in the last 2 1/2 years. My sister passed away last August (started as DCIS and wound up with Uterine Sarcome (Tamoxifen?) and my brother has bone marrow cancer. I have DCIS, LCIS and IDC. I am convinced that with NO family history and negative genetic testing that this is definitely environmental. We grew up on farm in South Jersey in the 60's and 70's. We picked and packed the produce that had beens prayed with Lord knows what and as a matter of fact would often get sprayed when the crop dusters flew over (so refreshing on a hot summer's day...) So I am all about eliminating as much chemically and hormonally etc. as one can form their diet and environment! Be Pink and Go Green!
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    MerleBee said:

You gals can eat?
    I had my first round of chemo on 5/13 and got an awful taste in my mouth that I couldn't shake. No appetite to speak of and when I did think I wnated something, as soon as I tasted it i didn't wnat it any more. Lost six pounds in the first round and got "spoken" to by my oncologist about not losing wieght. Don't really know what to do about that. I did crave ice cream but found that a Rita's Chocolate Misto was about all I could get down. No issue with nausea really, just no appetite and that awful taste. I have switched to as much organic produce and organic/non-hormonal dairy as I can. Three of the six of my siblings have been diagnosed with cancer in the last 2 1/2 years. My sister passed away last August (started as DCIS and wound up with Uterine Sarcome (Tamoxifen?) and my brother has bone marrow cancer. I have DCIS, LCIS and IDC. I am convinced that with NO family history and negative genetic testing that this is definitely environmental. We grew up on farm in South Jersey in the 60's and 70's. We picked and packed the produce that had beens prayed with Lord knows what and as a matter of fact would often get sprayed when the crop dusters flew over (so refreshing on a hot summer's day...) So I am all about eliminating as much chemically and hormonally etc. as one can form their diet and environment! Be Pink and Go Green!

I had chemo in 2003 and 2004
    When I was in treatment I'd eat all the time because I was nauseous all the time. The onc nurse told me to keep something in my stomach. So I ate crackers and rice a lot. They seemed to help. Someone suggested using plasticware to help eleminate metal taste.

I second the part about less chemicals. I developed Parkinson's after treatment and they tend to think it is chemically caused also but they aren't real sure.
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Merlebee - Actually, while I
    Merlebee - Actually, while I was going through Chemo treatments, I had that horrific metal tastes as well. I tried to eat anyway just so that I wouldn't lose weight.

I know there have been stories of people who have re-vamped their diets to include fresh, organic fruites and veggies. Also, to lessen the meat intake and increase fish. I think all in all, it's ALWAYS best to steer away from high fat and high sugar in the diet.

Thanks for your replies!

Blessings and Luv to ya!!

sea60
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    sea60 said:

Merlebee - Actually, while I
    Merlebee - Actually, while I was going through Chemo treatments, I had that horrific metal tastes as well. I tried to eat anyway just so that I wouldn't lose weight.

I know there have been stories of people who have re-vamped their diets to include fresh, organic fruites and veggies. Also, to lessen the meat intake and increase fish. I think all in all, it's ALWAYS best to steer away from high fat and high sugar in the diet.

Thanks for your replies!

Blessings and Luv to ya!!

sea60

I havent changed my diet,
    I havent changed my diet, but during chemo i also had that bad taste i couldnt get rid of and it lasted at least 1 1/2-2 weeks. But i craved food and it was different every chemo treatment...i would crave something else each time. My normal average weight before all this started was 96 pounds...now im 107 pounds...i gained 11 pounds and i have never weighed this much (execpt when i was pregnant) now im really concidering an exercise program... but i wonder how much of this weight gain is from the expanders?