New research: AVASTIN added to chemo increases progression-free survival in OVC

lindaprocopio
lindaprocopio Member Posts: 1,980 Member
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
This just came out yesterday:

Bevacizumab (AVASTIN) Added to Chemotherapy Increases PFS in Ovarian, Related Cancers
Elsevier Global Medical News. 2010 Jun 7, N Osterweil

CHICAGO (EGMN) - Progression-free survival in women with advanced ovarian or related female reproductive tract cancers was increased by nearly 4 months when they received frontline therapy with standard chemotherapy and concurrent bevacizumab followed by maintenance with bevacizumab alone, reported investigators from the Gynecologic Oncology Group's GOG-0218 trial.

In a randomized, placebo-controlled, phase III trial, the addition of bevacizumab (Avastin) to chemotherapy with carboplatin and paclitaxel followed by bevacizumab monotherapy resulted in a median progression-free survival (PFS) of 14.1 months, compared with 10.3 months for women on standard chemotherapy and placebo (hazard ratio, 0.717; P less than .0001), reported lead investigator Dr. Robert A. Burger of the Fox Chase Cancer Center in Philadelphia at a session of the American Society of Clinical Oncology's 2010 annual meeting.

But bevacizumab was effective only when used both as an adjunct to chemotherapy and as maintenance therapy: Women who received the angiogenesis inhibitor with chemotherapy but got a placebo during the maintenance phase had a median progression-free survival of 11.2 months, which was not significantly better than that of women who received chemotherapy and placebo only (HR, 0.98; P=.16), Dr. Burger said.

"Bevacizumab is the first molecular-targeted and first antiangiogenic agent to demonstrate benefit in this population, and bevacizumab combined with chemotherapy followed by bevacizumab maintenance should be considered as one standard option for women with this disease," said Dr. Burger.

That recommendation may be a bit premature, however, because the data so far show an effect of bevacizumab on only progression-free survival and not on overall survival, and "we cannot infer that a progression-free survival gain will mean an overall survival gain," commented Dr. Elizabeth A. Eisenhauer, the invited discussant.

"A progression-free survival gain of only 3.8 months may not be meaningful to patients. We need the mature overall survival and quality-of-life results, and ideally the results of the other frontline trial of bevacizumab in this disease, ICON-7, to understand the full story of the impact of this advance," said Dr. Eisenhauer of the National Cancer Institute of Canada.

GOG-0218 investigators enrolled 1,873 women with stage III or IV epithelial ovarian cancer, primary peritoneal cancer, or fallopian tube cancer. At the time of enrollment, the patients were stratified by key prognostic factors, performance status, and a combination of tumor stage and degree of debulking, and were then randomly assigned to one of three treatment groups.

Each group received the CT regimen, consisting of 22 3-week cycles, with the first 6 cycles consisting of intravenous paclitaxel 175 mg/m² plus carboplatin at an area-under the curve of 6 mg/mL per minute. One group also received concurrent placebo followed by maintenance placebo, a second received concurrent bevacizumab plus maintenance placebo, and the third received concurrent bevacizumab and bevacizumab maintenance.

The primary end point was progression-free survival, as determined by radiographic evidence, CA 125 elevation during the maintenance phase of treatment, RECIST (Response Evaluation Criteria in Solid Tumors), or death.

Adverse events included grade 3/4 hypertension in 1.6% of patients on chemotherapy alone, in 5.4% of patients on concurrent bevacizumab, and in 10% of patients on bevacizumab maintenance. Hemorrhage or fistula occurred in 0.8%. 2.6%, and 2.3%, respectively.

The incidence of adverse events with bevacizumab was similar to that seen in other studies of the drug, Dr. Burger said.

Dr. Burger has served as an advisor/consultant to Genentech Inc. Dr. Eisenhauer reports no relevant disclosures.

Comments

• kayandok
    kayandok Member Posts: 1,202 Member
    Linda,
    thanks for posting this. Avastin is recommended by my US docs to be my next treatment, but have yet to find a way to get it. If I pay cash for it here in Japan (only approved for lung and colon) it is $5000 a month. I think it would be cheaper to fly to the US monthly and pay $2000 out of pocket (that was the cheapest quote I heard). I thought Malaysia was going to be an option, but that doesn't seem to be working out.

If I am reading this correctly, there is only a 4 month difference between using regular chemo and chemo with avastin on the overall survival rate. Is that how you read it too?

Any input welcome,
    kathleen
  • nancy591
    nancy591 Member Posts: 1,027 Member
    kayandok said:

Linda,
    thanks for posting this. Avastin is recommended by my US docs to be my next treatment, but have yet to find a way to get it. If I pay cash for it here in Japan (only approved for lung and colon) it is $5000 a month. I think it would be cheaper to fly to the US monthly and pay $2000 out of pocket (that was the cheapest quote I heard). I thought Malaysia was going to be an option, but that doesn't seem to be working out.

If I am reading this correctly, there is only a 4 month difference between using regular chemo and chemo with avastin on the overall survival rate. Is that how you read it too?

Any input welcome,
    kathleen

what I was told/read
    Yes, that is how I read it. I also read that short term use shows no benefit. Also, this data is from women who were never previously treated for ovca. It is used in conjunction with other agents or as maintenance. Although risk of bowel perforation is 5% in women with recurrent ovca, it is a serious risk factor. A friend of my sisters died of complications related to bowel perforation while she was on Avastin. My gyn onc may be adding it to my regimen. I havent' spoke to him about it yet.
  • kayandok
    kayandok Member Posts: 1,202 Member
    nancy591 said:

what I was told/read
    Yes, that is how I read it. I also read that short term use shows no benefit. Also, this data is from women who were never previously treated for ovca. It is used in conjunction with other agents or as maintenance. Although risk of bowel perforation is 5% in women with recurrent ovca, it is a serious risk factor. A friend of my sisters died of complications related to bowel perforation while she was on Avastin. My gyn onc may be adding it to my regimen. I havent' spoke to him about it yet.

Risks
    My Japanese doctor has told me many times, that even if it were approved here, he is very much not in favor of using it, except in rare situations. His main concern is the bowel perforation that you mentioned. On the other hand, when I asked one of my consulting docs in the US about that, his comment was, "if you microscopically dissect every decision, you will not move forward, and this is probably your last shot." Pretty straight forward. I tend to agree with him, and would like to try it if I can. I had a blueprint done on my tumors last summer and avastin worked 100% of the time on the tumor. Anyway, just need to find a way to get it, I guess.

kathleen
  • nancy591
    kayandok said:

Risks
    My Japanese doctor has told me many times, that even if it were approved here, he is very much not in favor of using it, except in rare situations. His main concern is the bowel perforation that you mentioned. On the other hand, when I asked one of my consulting docs in the US about that, his comment was, "if you microscopically dissect every decision, you will not move forward, and this is probably your last shot." Pretty straight forward. I tend to agree with him, and would like to try it if I can. I had a blueprint done on my tumors last summer and avastin worked 100% of the time on the tumor. Anyway, just need to find a way to get it, I guess.

kathleen

GOOD LUCK
    Yes, I may move forward with it but I am fearful. That is great news about the blueprint.

How are you feeling? What is your current cocktail?
  • nancy591
    avastin
    I just spoke with my gyn onc. He is not recommending avastin for me at this time. 'the survival rates are marginal and this is with long term use. With your history of bowel issues and the illeosotomy I don't think we should add it now. I think you should save it for if you need it down the line.'

relieved? disappointed? Not sure yet.
  • Hissy_Fitz
    Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
    nancy591 said:

avastin
    I just spoke with my gyn onc. He is not recommending avastin for me at this time. 'the survival rates are marginal and this is with long term use. With your history of bowel issues and the illeosotomy I don't think we should add it now. I think you should save it for if you need it down the line.'

I'm not sure my doctor will
    I'm not sure my doctor will embrace it, either. I doubt he would consider four months a significant amount of survival time. He doesn't even consider the 12-18 months that IP chemo is shown to give (on average) to be "significant", in view of the fact that only 40% of patients can tolerate the treatment.

Carlene
  • upsofloating
    upsofloating Member Posts: 466 Member
    nancy591 said:

avastin

I asked my gyn-onc about
    I asked my gyn-onc about Avastin last week and his response was basically the same as you all have mentioned. He has used it but only in last resort types of cases. Bowel perforation risk was his main objection and would definitely not use it on me at this time. I think the Gemzar is having an effect but I'm also having a strange side effect of severe neck muscle spasms beginning the day after and lasting up to 3 days. I thought it was the Compazine but apparently not. But for now, I will stick with it.