I am getting tired of waiting.

Cindy Ann
Cindy Ann Member Posts: 101
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am still waiting for my insurance co to approve or not approve my genetic testing. They say it will be one more week. Meanwhile my blood is being stored(DNA lasts forever)and in holdong pattern. If my insurance does not cover it I am not going ahead with it. It is about 5000.00. I need that more for breast surgery treatment etc.. I was supposed to know by the 23rd if I was positive or neg. But jeez this is crazy.. I now again am physically sick. Doc's pumping me with vitamens, antibiotics, and cough sryup etc.. Anyone else get very sick more then once before surgery. I am beginning to wonder if I can even survive this surgery etc.. I am not even in poor health. I have a heart condition but that is controlled with meds.My surgeons's office is shooting for the 2nd week in July for surgery. The doctor is going out of town late June through the week of the 4th. Her nurse told me with DCIS and the way the 1st biopsy looks they got most if it.Stop worrying as much as I can. But I have a early slow growing form of cancer. Still scared witless. My home life has calmed down until this am. My daughter out of the blue told me she is filing for divorce from her husband of 10 years. She will tell me why this pm. Heartbreaking for all concerned.. But know my kid she would not do this without good reason. Especially right now. So ok prayers all around again and please someone help me find my sense of humor.. There has to be some big Cosmic joke being played on me..

Blessings,
Cindy Ann

Comments

• Balentine
    Balentine Member Posts: 393
    Sending you prayers and hugs
    Dear Cindy Ann,
    I am sorry you are having to go through this agonizing waiting period. It is hard enough to be going through cancer but then having to wait for insurance to kick in to move forward just makes it more difficult. Then having family bad news...mmmm....it feels like a snowball effect or domino effect. I have been there and it is a very scary place. 2 weeks after my last chemo, my husband finally got frustrated and told me to get off my **** and get motivated about life...he just lost it on me....well then I had an emotional meltdown...could not believe he could be so insensitive. My son also came home from college and instead of visiting with us he just went out every night and also was very insensitive. You just feel alone....that you are going through this by yourself, but then I had to remind myself that I am not alone...that God is with me and He is carrying me through this. He said He would never leave me....sooooo....I have to look to Him, pray and read His word to gain the strength and comfort I need because only He knows and feels what I am truly going through and what you are truly going through. He alone is your peace and your strength. Hold on to Him Cindy and don't let go. I promise you He will see you through this journey to the light at the end of the tunnel. God bless! love and hugs, Lorrie
  • Hope 2010
    Hope 2010 Member Posts: 62
    ((hugs))
    I wish there was some button that we can press to find out if something is going to be covered or not. It should just have a Yes / No -- If Yes 100% or partial. It should be a cut and dry process, not something that the insurance has to take weeks to decide.

I've been recently dx and it is disppointing on what we need to go through just to start the recovery period. And the waiting....for the results...waiting for the appts...scary.

I wish you the best. ((hugs))
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    The Emotional Rollercoaster at Cosmic-Joke Park!
    I see you have bought your ticket for the rollercoaster ride of your life! This is a unique ride to be sure. As the coaster starts chugging its way up the incline,you see that not only is your seatbelt broken, there is oil on the tracks, and it's starting to rain! So, you know what you have to do? You hold on for dear life to the person next to you, scared you might not make it off of the ride!! You close your eyes, scream, and realize the person next to you is doing the same thing. But you also notices something else~ even through the fear, you are each being strengthened by being together on this damnamble ride. Each turn brings you closer to each other, as you help each other not to fall.

Finally, the coaster slows down~ you are battered and bruised and never, ever want to get on this ride again, but you also know that you have survived! It's still raining,and you long for the sunshine, but OMG, you are still alive!

Hold on, "Cinderella", the ride will slow down, I promise!

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • Hubby
    Hubby Member Posts: 325
    $5,000 seems high
    I'm sorry you are going through insurence hell. I would call the genetic testing company and ask them what they will take. My wife's BRCA testing was billed to my insurance company at $3,340 and they accepted $2,859. This is still a lot of money, but better than $5,000. If you have someone else who can make the calls for you, it would be better. I make as many calls as I can for my wife.

And you are not alone in this big cosmic joke.

Hugs; Peace
  • GregStahl
    GregStahl Member Posts: 188
    $5k is high
    There is only one company that does the BRAC test. Our was $3380 and the insurance paid all but $500. That company will work with you on payments as well if you need. Talk to the genetic counsler and that person can advise you on that.
    Greg
  • GregStahl
    GregStahl Member Posts: 188
    Hubby said:

$5,000 seems high
    I'm sorry you are going through insurence hell. I would call the genetic testing company and ask them what they will take. My wife's BRCA testing was billed to my insurance company at $3,340 and they accepted $2,859. This is still a lot of money, but better than $5,000. If you have someone else who can make the calls for you, it would be better. I make as many calls as I can for my wife.

Hugs; Peace

Hey hubby
    How you been. Read some of your early posts and responded to some. You and I are in the same boat. My wife is having her bilateral mastectomy tomorrow after waiting for 8 weeks. The new surgeon is not pleased with her doing that and said it just made things a bit harder for herself.
    Greg
  • Cindy Ann
    Hubby said:

$5,000 seems high

Hugs; Peace

5K is High!!
    Whew!!!I found out why it is so high. My doctor decided to tack on more genetic testing then the comprehensive BRACA Analysis.He added on without my permission colon ca genetic testing and another test that I am not even sure about. I am waiting for a call back from him. My feelings are if he ordered this stuff without my permission he can pay for it. It makes me feel like his guinea pig. I don't want to know if I carry a gene for anything but BC.That is all I can handle peroid.. I am so angry with him. Had you guys not quoted the prices you did to me I would of never called Myriad and questioned them. I would of found out much later after my DNA was tested. Good heads up guys..Thank You!!! Also I will pray for your wives to have a smooth uncomplicated surgery and recovery..Stay strong~!!

Blessings and love,
    Cindy Ann
  • greyhoundluvr
    greyhoundluvr Member Posts: 402
    Cindy Ann
    Sorry that you are having more problems and that things are not going well for your daughter. I am sure that all of this is adding to your stress. Like the gentlemen said, my insurance did cover the BRCA testing - I went in and checked the payout and they were paid $2864. Myriad "owns" the patent on the BRCA gene so they are the only lab at this time that can perform the testing (which obviously increases the cost)and puts them in a position of not negotiating very much with insurance companies. From a news show that I saw, the testing only costs about $300 in Europe because they don't honor the patent and Myriad lost the first round of litigation by the ACLU contesting their "ownership" - but right now, they are the only game in the country. You may want to check with your insurance company and see if they have a coverage determination out there (i.e. when do they provide coverage for this service) and take a look at that yourself. I believe that you said your daughter tested positive so I would be a little surprised if you wouldn't meet their criteria for the testing.

If your blood is on hold while they work out the issues with your insurance company, your doctor should be able to modify the tests that they have requested if you decide that is what you want to do.

I hope all of this moves quickly for you - and I wish you and your family the best!

Chris
  • Cindy Ann
    chenheart said:

The Emotional Rollercoaster at Cosmic-Joke Park!
    I see you have bought your ticket for the rollercoaster ride of your life! This is a unique ride to be sure. As the coaster starts chugging its way up the incline,you see that not only is your seatbelt broken, there is oil on the tracks, and it's starting to rain! So, you know what you have to do? You hold on for dear life to the person next to you, scared you might not make it off of the ride!! You close your eyes, scream, and realize the person next to you is doing the same thing. But you also notices something else~ even through the fear, you are each being strengthened by being together on this damnamble ride. Each turn brings you closer to each other, as you help each other not to fall.

Finally, the coaster slows down~ you are battered and bruised and never, ever want to get on this ride again, but you also know that you have survived! It's still raining,and you long for the sunshine, but OMG, you are still alive!

Hold on, "Cinderella", the ride will slow down, I promise!

Hugs,
    Chen♥

Cinderella Rides The Coaster.
    You made me laugh. I needed that to clear my head from this constant fog..My first rollercoaster ride was a disaster. Never eat a hot dog when riding one the first time. LOL.This one I am on now it feels similar to that hot dog coaster ride.( Spewed in the cutest boy's hair.)You know Cinderella she always gets her prince..Not that time. Thanks for the Cinderella in your post. Made me think of Dad and what he would do.. Brought my humor back. I am smiling right now.. Nothing is ever that bad is it?
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294

Cindy Ann
    Sorry that you are having more problems and that things are not going well for your daughter. I am sure that all of this is adding to your stress. Like the gentlemen said, my insurance did cover the BRCA testing - I went in and checked the payout and they were paid $2864. Myriad "owns" the patent on the BRCA gene so they are the only lab at this time that can perform the testing (which obviously increases the cost)and puts them in a position of not negotiating very much with insurance companies. From a news show that I saw, the testing only costs about $300 in Europe because they don't honor the patent and Myriad lost the first round of litigation by the ACLU contesting their "ownership" - but right now, they are the only game in the country. You may want to check with your insurance company and see if they have a coverage determination out there (i.e. when do they provide coverage for this service) and take a look at that yourself. I believe that you said your daughter tested positive so I would be a little surprised if you wouldn't meet their criteria for the testing.

If your blood is on hold while they work out the issues with your insurance company, your doctor should be able to modify the tests that they have requested if you decide that is what you want to do.

I hope all of this moves quickly for you - and I wish you and your family the best!

Chris

Myriad price for breast cancer is the standard
    and the company is the only one who does it. I am not sure the exact price I have done it recently and it is $3,3000 or $3,000. As for insurance it could take several weeks or months. I am not sure about the size of your suspicious area, but I would have a lumpectomy first, regardless of genetic testing. Since your mother does not have these genes, your chances of having them roughly 50%. The blood sample is good for 60 days only, after that it will be discarded.As for insurance you can fight them later, you will have a lot of time.
    Sorry your your family situation, but you need to focus on your treatment first. Your treatment is the most important item on agenda for your family and you need everyone's support.
    Wishing you luck with your decision and quick recovery from your cold.
    New Flower
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    Are you sure about the cost?
    Hi Cindy Ann,

When I discussed genetic testing, I was told the cost was 500 if my insurance decided not to cover it. Because I was 58 with no family history of bc prior to age 50, I decided against it. I would confirm the cost.

Roseann
  • New Flower
    roseann4 said:

Hi Cindy Ann,

When I discussed genetic testing, I was told the cost was 500 if my insurance decided not to cover it. Because I was 58 with no family history of bc prior to age 50, I decided against it. I would confirm the cost.

Roseann

two types of testing
    for specific genes which is $500. and comprehensive which is $3,000.00.Abbreviated (specific genes) give you 80% of answer. If you were quoted S500. they would not charge you more. I just did for specific genes first, and then comprehensive to get 100% assurance, that i do not have it.
  • New Flower
    roseann4 said:

Hi Cindy Ann,

Roseann

two types of testing
    for specific genes which is $500. and comprehensive which is $3,000.00.Abbreviated (specific genes) give you 80% of answer. If you were quoted S500. they would not charge you more. I just did for specific genes first, and then comprehensive to get 100% assurance, that i do not have it.