expander moving & radiation ?

rm22111
rm22111 Member Posts: 54
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am in the process of having radiation to my left breast or should I say foob. I had a bilateral mas. in December with expanders put in at the same time. (no radiation to the right side is needed) They had to stop radiation and are now replanning me because as the Doctor said things have changed. My right expander has changed and is in the way of the radiation. When I went to the plastic surgeon I said someting about it changing and he just said it happens. I should have pursued it more and asked him what actually was happening. My radiologist says I may have lost weight or built up muscle since they planned me the first time. I called my plastic surgeon and left a message and asked about the changes, but he has not called me back. He is a man of few words. Has anyone had a similiar experience? I went with the expander and implant route knowing I would have radiation, but not wanting the more complicated options. I pray I made the right choice. I will not be having the exchange surgery until next spring or summer. I hope I don't have to work about my expanders moving around.

Comments

• Katz77
    Katz77 Member Posts: 598
    Similar, but not the same
    I had implants placed when I turned 41, now 49. My gen. surgeon and I decided to try and leave the implant in to use as expander, so to speak. My tumor was lg. and sat high 1200 position. He did tell me that the rads could rupture, contract the implant. The rads doc wasn't real pleased we decided this. My surgeon, although a gen surgeon loves breasts. lol
    Did a fellowship (extra 2 yrs) in breast and there dieases. I, like you hope I was making the right decision. He made a few calls to assoc., and they told him there shouldn't be a problem. The main reason for expanders is to keep the skin "stretched" so you can have reconstuction later.
    I don't have knowledge of expanders, but could they fill it more to keep it from moving? Seems reasonable, esp if you lost weight. My surg said and the rads doc finally agreed that the rads "bend" to hit all areas. But I think it depends on what type of rads you get too.
    Very interesting, ur situation. As for mine. It(implant) survived all treatments. yeah? lol
    I don think I ever had so much fighting and decussion over my boobs in my life. Kind of weird having it done semi topless too. lol Coming up on 1yr.,so tests are heading my way. Guess I'll see if the implant was in the way of the rads. Onc doc tomorrow. Keep me updated to ur delima.
  • rm22111
    rm22111 Member Posts: 54
    Katz77 said:

Similar, but not the same
    I had implants placed when I turned 41, now 49. My gen. surgeon and I decided to try and leave the implant in to use as expander, so to speak. My tumor was lg. and sat high 1200 position. He did tell me that the rads could rupture, contract the implant. The rads doc wasn't real pleased we decided this. My surgeon, although a gen surgeon loves breasts. lol
    Did a fellowship (extra 2 yrs) in breast and there dieases. I, like you hope I was making the right decision. He made a few calls to assoc., and they told him there shouldn't be a problem. The main reason for expanders is to keep the skin "stretched" so you can have reconstuction later.
    I don't have knowledge of expanders, but could they fill it more to keep it from moving? Seems reasonable, esp if you lost weight. My surg said and the rads doc finally agreed that the rads "bend" to hit all areas. But I think it depends on what type of rads you get too.
    Very interesting, ur situation. As for mine. It(implant) survived all treatments. yeah? lol
    I don think I ever had so much fighting and decussion over my boobs in my life. Kind of weird having it done semi topless too. lol Coming up on 1yr.,so tests are heading my way. Guess I'll see if the implant was in the way of the rads. Onc doc tomorrow. Keep me updated to ur delima.

thank for info
    Thank you for the information. My breast surgeon says that most of her patients perfer to go the expander route instead of some of the other forms of reconstruction that involves surgery to other parts of the body. My plastic surgeon does not like to put expanders in someone that will have radiation. He says there are to many problems that occur. I have read some materials that back up what he says, but I have also read here and heard from others that did not have any problems. So, I am praying that everything will work out with the expanders and implants. So, your words are encouraging.

thanks
    rm22111
  • canoegirl
    canoegirl Member Posts: 169
    I'm about to start Rads with
    I'm about to start Rads with an expander in place. Hoping it works out OK. The PS originally wanted to swap out the expander for an implant before the RADs and then replace it or do a FLAP after RADs. The Rad Onc says it will be fine with it in. Another PS that I met before surgery wanted to take the expander out and just leave the streched skin sagging during rads, seems like that would create more problems to me, but every group seems to have their own way of doing things. Sooo...I'm doing rads with the expander and will have reconstruction in Jan or Feb.

Good luck!
    Hugs,
    Marcy