DanKcmo-Welcome to the other side

bdhilton
bdhilton Member Posts: 846 Member
edited March 2014 in Prostate Cancer #1
Good to hear that you are on the other side and recovering. Like Randy I only used the large bag except when I took the plan back to Atlatan from Chicago 2 days after surgery. I even took walks with the large back around the neighborhood ( just put it is a shopping bag)...As silly as this may sound I believe walking around with the bag in “public” helped me to place my situation in perspective and realize that my life had changed (and I really think for the best right now)forever...

Walk walk walk and seriously consider changing your lifestyle if you have not yet…I believe that diet and exercise will add years to your life and you are in total control of these items…

Do not be shy abuot asking for advise on yoiur recoivery isses or concerns as they come about....A lot of us have been there...

Best to you in your recovery

Comments

• DanKCMO
    DanKCMO Member Posts: 42
    Thanks BDHilton
    Thanks for the kind words!

I've been walking and active. Been a little worried about being constipated (for 3-4 days) but the stool softener must have done its magic because that isn't a problem since this afternoon. I think I will stay on the stool softeners until a few days after catheter is out.

Getting exercise hasn't been a problem for me (I am an active cyclist) but I am about 10-15 lbs overweight and am working on getting rid of that weight. I definitely needed to have a better diet and have been working on that too. I will add the prostate friendly foods (pomegranate, broccoli sprouts, etc) and cut back on the processed foods and red meat.

No other problems to report--just the common ones we all have shared right after the surgery.

I am a bit anxious about the upcoming milestones such as the prostate biopsy report, my first PSA and the ED and incontinence issues. But will deal with those as they come up.

Dan
  • bdhilton
    DanKCMO said:

Thanks BDHilton

I've been walking and active. Been a little worried about being constipated (for 3-4 days) but the stool softener must have done its magic because that isn't a problem since this afternoon. I think I will stay on the stool softeners until a few days after catheter is out.

Getting exercise hasn't been a problem for me (I am an active cyclist) but I am about 10-15 lbs overweight and am working on getting rid of that weight. I definitely needed to have a better diet and have been working on that too. I will add the prostate friendly foods (pomegranate, broccoli sprouts, etc) and cut back on the processed foods and red meat.

No other problems to report--just the common ones we all have shared right after the surgery.

I am a bit anxious about the upcoming milestones such as the prostate biopsy report, my first PSA and the ED and incontinence issues. But will deal with those as they come up.

Dan

My uro and surgeon had me on
    My uro and surgeon had me on stool softeners twice a day for 30 days...The BM was the most painful and long lasting thing I had after surgery....

My only advise as far as your pending prostate biopsy report, first PSA and the ED and incontinence issues it will be what it will be and just make the best of what every it is… Worry about the things you can control and right now that is your diet and exercise….I hope you have a fast and uneventful recovery…

Best to all
  • DanKCMO
    bdhilton said:

My uro and surgeon had me on stool softeners twice a day for 30 days...The BM was the most painful and long lasting thing I had after surgery....

My only advise as far as your pending prostate biopsy report, first PSA and the ED and incontinence issues it will be what it will be and just make the best of what every it is… Worry about the things you can control and right now that is your diet and exercise….I hope you have a fast and uneventful recovery…

Best to all

Leaking during BM
    Is it normal during a bowel movement to leak a little bit of urine out of the penis, even though I have the catheter in. It looks like normal (not bloody) urine.

I am not straining during the BM, but am relaxing the whole area a bit during the BM.

I can't imagine doing this without stool softeners.

I think somebody came to our house while I was at the hospital and lowered all the toilets 10"! At least it feels that way.

Dan
  • bdhilton
    DanKCMO said:

Leaking during BM
    Is it normal during a bowel movement to leak a little bit of urine out of the penis, even though I have the catheter in. It looks like normal (not bloody) urine.

I am not straining during the BM, but am relaxing the whole area a bit during the BM.

I can't imagine doing this without stool softeners.

I think somebody came to our house while I was at the hospital and lowered all the toilets 10"! At least it feels that way.

Dan

Yes it is normal to leak
    Yes it is normal to leak around the cath both urine and blood…I can relate to the toilet seat “feeling” low…Sitting for me in general was not comfortable and taking a BM with the cath in was worse but all of this will pass and pass soon…

Best to all
    142 Member Posts: 169
    DanKCMO said:

Thanks BDHilton

Dan

After surgery
    I had the same leaking, but also had bladder spasms, which make it more "interesting".

My surgeon suggested staying on the softeners - logic being that they have taken out a lot of tissue that was along the rectum wall, so it will be very fragile until the surgery area heals.
  • randy_in_indy
    randy_in_indy Member Posts: 496 Member
    bdhilton said:

Best to all

I was taking 2 X 100mg Stool Softner per day
    Morning and night. I agree with BD the BM's was the hardest and longest lasting annoyance of this surgery. I was lucky and not once did I ever experience bladder spasms....I only had urine come past the cath during bm's and once in the night while sleeping in bed during the second week it was in. (I had mine in 13 days because they found a leak in the Cystogram on day 7) Lube the end every bm with Triple antibiotic with pain relief...it will make the cath much more comfortable.

Randy in Indy
  • DanKCMO
    142 said:

After surgery
    I had the same leaking, but also had bladder spasms, which make it more "interesting".

My surgeon suggested staying on the softeners - logic being that they have taken out a lot of tissue that was along the rectum wall, so it will be very fragile until the surgery area heals.

Got the pathology report today
    Well, I am one of the lucky ones.

Cancer confined to the prostate. Margins clean, all the other tissue they took (lymph nodes, seminal vesicles etc) all clean. I understand this is not a 100% guarantee of being cancer free forever but it is a happy day at our house.

Looking forward to being a member of the zero club in the near future.

Dan
  • lewvino
    lewvino Member Posts: 1,010
    DanKCMO said:

Cancer confined to the prostate. Margins clean, all the other tissue they took (lymph nodes, seminal vesicles etc) all clean. I understand this is not a 100% guarantee of being cancer free forever but it is a happy day at our house.

Dan

CONGRATS, CONGRATS,
    CONGRATS, CONGRATS, CONGATS!!!! So happy to read your good news on the PATH report! No go out and Celebrate!

Larry
  • chitown
    chitown Member Posts: 90 Member
    lewvino said:

CONGRATS, CONGRATS,
    CONGRATS, CONGRATS, CONGATS!!!! So happy to read your good news on the PATH report! No go out and Celebrate!

Larry

Good news Dan
    Greatly encouraged by your progress and news,
    I am hoping things go as well for me too for my surgery on 6/15
  • bdhilton
    DanKCMO said:

Dan

cannot ask for better
    cannot ask for better results all surgery...As my urolgist told me after reviewing my path (not like yours) start living your new life... best to you
  • DanKCMO
    bdhilton said:

cannot ask for better
    cannot ask for better results all surgery...As my urolgist told me after reviewing my path (not like yours) start living your new life... best to you

Thanks everybody!
    This

Thanks everybody!

This discussion board has been a real asset in helping me get through this