My daughter's dosage of chemo

marcine60
marcine60 Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am on this post because of my 38 year old daughter. I know she will do well as I have had several friends that have had breast cancer and beat it. Some 'twice', but my concern is the amount of chemo they are going to give her. She has stage IIIA because the tumor was 6 cm and one was found in her lymph node. Because of her age and the aggressiveness, they want to do the maximum of chemo which will be in her chest cavity and not her veins. It will last 2 to 3 hours of injections. This is what is scaring the hell out of me. I am so worried about her side effects. She will get radiation and 3 types of pills. The pills will be for 5 years. Any comments on this about the dosage? She is going to go to Tucson, Arizona to get another opinion and a third with a non-profit organization here in Phoenix, Az. Thank you for reading my post and any comments are welcomed.
Marcine

Comments

• 2Floridiansisters
    2Floridiansisters Member Posts: 384 Member
    Dear marcine...
    I'm sorry I know nothing yet when it comes to chemo therapy, I just wanted to reply to you so you feel somebody is here to help, I'm sorry it's not gonna be me. I am at the very beginning of this unwanted journey. I have no idea if chemo is in my future or will I just deal with radiaiton???

Anyway I will say a prayer for your daughter and one for you too,

Love Ronda
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    I was stage 3a also, 6cm
    I was stage 3a also, 6cm also, 2 lymph nodes (after 4 cycles of chemo) and grade 3. They gave me 4 cycles of A/C before surgery because they had to shrink it. He removed 15 lymph nodes also and I still had 2 with cancer. So I had to have 4 more cycles of Taxotere and then radiation. Ater radiation I was supposed to be on Tamoxifin for 5 years but switched to Aromasin and ended up quitting after 2 1/2 years. I was diagnosed at 52 years old back in 2003 so things might have changed. I've never heard of 3 types of pills (you mean all at once?) but if she is going for second opinions and third she should have a good choice.
  • CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    Marcine.........
    I was also stage IIIA.

Had mastectomy. Had A/C chemo & then Abraxane. Then rads. Then a year of Herceptin.

I'm not sure what you mean by having it in her chest cavity and not her veins. Could you please tell me more?

Hugs,

CR
  • Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    CR1954 said:

Marcine.........
    I was also stage IIIA.

Had mastectomy. Had A/C chemo & then Abraxane. Then rads. Then a year of Herceptin.

I'm not sure what you mean by having it in her chest cavity and not her veins. Could you please tell me more?

Hugs,

CR

I'm wondering if you mean a port
    They pretty much use ports (in the chest area) for all chemo patients.
  • cavediver
    cavediver Member Posts: 607
    stage IIIa also, 8.6 cm
    When you say in chest area, I am guessing you mean via a port. This is a much better way for the chemo infusion...kinder to the veins. I had the port installed in chest, 3 chemo cycles (the infusion is usually @3 hrs each session), mastectomy, and will be starting chem again in another week for 5 more sessions. I do not know what if any pills will follow. The pre-surgery chemo did shrink the tumor, so it was a good choice. 11 n.nodes removed, 4 showed cancer cells
    Each of us react differenty to the chemo....it was not as bad as I had imagined....the pills helped with nausea. I did have to have day after plus more shots to boost up the white blood cells... Your daugther will do well I am sure...being young helps I would think. And...a second opinion is great. She will have more info to allow her to make the best decision for herself. Good thoughts being sent her way.