hands are driving me crazy

tat2granny
tat2granny Member Posts: 77
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have had my second round of Taxol the third Wendesday. Now my hands are driving me insane. The tingleing or itching ,whichever you want to call it, is the only problem I am having. I have tried just about everything I can think of. If any of you have had this problem, how in the world do you cope? Any and all ideas will be helpful. Thanks

Comments

• ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181 Member
    taxotere
    Hi,i had a allergic reaction to it.And they stopped my Chemo.I broke out in hives all over.My hands and feet and head itched the worse.Be careful with it.let your Dr. know.They gave me a shot and several other meds.Several months later I still take allergy pills when I start itching.Never had this trouble before.good luck.
  • mickeymom
    mickeymom Member Posts: 117
    Ask about Vitamin B6
    I had some tingling and numbness after the first treatement and my oncologist and nutritionist both recommened taking vitamin B6. It didn't stop the numbness, but it didn't get any worse after that - which apparently it can. The neuropathy side effect builds up with each treatment so this seemed like a good thing.

The other thing they mentioned is glutamine, which comes in a powder that you mix with water or some beverage. The nutritionist told me that the limited testing she has seen with glutamine says that it only works on about half the people. I tried it hoping I was in the good half - no such luck. It's also pretty expensive.

Make sure you drink TONS of water before, during and after the treatment. The solution they use to infuse Taxol is different than most chemo and you really want to keep it moving through your system.

For the immediate problem - I did find that massage was helpful for my fingers and especially for my feet. It seemed to reduce the amount of numbness to a tolerable level. My oncologist's nurse recommended massaging your fingers during the treatments to keep the drugs from settling in your finger tips. I tried that but they took such a long time to give me the treatment that I couldn't possibly do that the entire time.

Good luck with the rest of your chemo. Hang in there!
  • Sunrae
    Sunrae Member Posts: 808
    mickeymom said:

Ask about Vitamin B6
    I had some tingling and numbness after the first treatement and my oncologist and nutritionist both recommened taking vitamin B6. It didn't stop the numbness, but it didn't get any worse after that - which apparently it can. The neuropathy side effect builds up with each treatment so this seemed like a good thing.

The other thing they mentioned is glutamine, which comes in a powder that you mix with water or some beverage. The nutritionist told me that the limited testing she has seen with glutamine says that it only works on about half the people. I tried it hoping I was in the good half - no such luck. It's also pretty expensive.

Make sure you drink TONS of water before, during and after the treatment. The solution they use to infuse Taxol is different than most chemo and you really want to keep it moving through your system.

For the immediate problem - I did find that massage was helpful for my fingers and especially for my feet. It seemed to reduce the amount of numbness to a tolerable level. My oncologist's nurse recommended massaging your fingers during the treatments to keep the drugs from settling in your finger tips. I tried that but they took such a long time to give me the treatment that I couldn't possibly do that the entire time.

Good luck with the rest of your chemo. Hang in there!

I've had 4 treatments on
    I've had 4 treatments on Cytoxan/Taxotere and my hands started burning, blistering, cracking and look like I've doused them in acid. My onc took me off chemo for a couple of weeks now, put me on prednisone and vit. B. They're getting better but still peeling, red and raw looking. My onc is changing me to Taxol but after what you posted about it I'm not sure I can handle it. Hope your condition clears up.