I need help please - very confused

Adele0650
Adele0650 Member Posts: 11
edited March 2014 in Stomach Cancer #1
Hello,

My husband's esophageal/gastric cancer has come back. He is now on Xeloda and Oxiplatin (???) he is still losing weight. Our local oncologist suggested a feeding tube and the oncologist from Sloane suggested a stent. I read quite a bit about both of them but I am not sure what would be best for him. He does not know either. Can anyone offer any suggestions??
Thank you

Adele

Comments

• Tina Blondek
    Tina Blondek Member Posts: 1,500 Member
    Hi Adele
    My dad had a stent

Hi Adele
    My dad had a stent put in his esophagus to open it up better. He did very well with it. Most people here have the feeding tube put in. This is a very good way to make sure the patient gets the proper nutrition. My dad was also on Xeloda. He did very well with that type of chemo. Well.. you can try the stent first, if that does not work, have the feeding tube put in. I am sure you will get a lot of replys relating to the feeding tubes. Good luck with your decision. Let us know what you decide.
    Tina
  • Adele0650
    Adele0650 Member Posts: 11

Hi Adele
    My dad had a stent

Hi Adele
    My dad had a stent put in his esophagus to open it up better. He did very well with it. Most people here have the feeding tube put in. This is a very good way to make sure the patient gets the proper nutrition. My dad was also on Xeloda. He did very well with that type of chemo. Well.. you can try the stent first, if that does not work, have the feeding tube put in. I am sure you will get a lot of replys relating to the feeding tubes. Good luck with your decision. Let us know what you decide.
    Tina

Hi TIna,
    We decided on the

Hi TIna,
    We decided on the feeding tube just to help him get some strength and maybe maintain his weight. THe doctors waited too long to finally decided to give him some help. I'll keep you posted. Thank you.

Adele
  • Tina Blondek
    Tina Blondek Member Posts: 1,500 Member
    Adele0650 said:

Hi TIna,
    We decided on the

Hi TIna,
    We decided on the feeding tube just to help him get some strength and maybe maintain his weight. THe doctors waited too long to finally decided to give him some help. I'll keep you posted. Thank you.

Adele

Hi Adele
    Thanks for the

Hi Adele
    Thanks for the update. The feeding tube will be very good for him. It will keep his weight maintained and give him the strength he will need to continue this journey to fight this battle with cancer. Sorry the drs. waited to long to help. That is not a good sign. Sometimes you will find that you will have to push the drs to do some things. Best of luck to you, and I look forward to hearing of your husband's progress!
    Tina