Peach Fuzz...Seriously? Have I Not Suffered Enough?!

bluwillo
bluwillo Member Posts: 113
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
So, my hair is coming back. All the hair in all the usual places...formerly straight dirty blonde is now steel wool colored, but I'll take it, whatever the color. However...

I was told I need to get my 16 visable eyebrows plucked...some of them are too long and in the wrong place. Most of them are blonde, so they don't show up, but the brown ones, the only ones located in a bad spot, they had to be plucked. I've never done my eyebrows before, so I went to my local hair lady, and $4 later, had plucked brows. I agree, they look better.

So, next up, I needed to darken my foundation. bought some powdered bronzer from my lady at Walgreens....put it on, it looks good. I sorta look tanned...but...

I HAVE MORE PEACH FUZZ ON MY FACE THAN HAIR ON MY HEAD! Sure, before, I had the annoying here and there chin hairs (tip: tell your daughters-in-law that it really is OK for them to tell you when you have a 2 inch long blonde chin hair! Really!) but it's like my whole face is covered in white hair.

Please, someone tell me this is temporary!! Please tell me that it will all fall out, by Saturday. Please tell me that I won't have to use a dipalitory or whatever that cream hair remover is called. (Can you guys tell I was never one for make up? LOL!) And for Gawd's sake, tell me I won't have to shave! Out of all the "recent unpleasantness" (isn't that a charming way to describe cancer, mastectomy, chemo and rads? How ladylike!) this may be the thing that breaks me. I might just as well have a sex change operation!!

Comments

• carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    I hate to tell you ..... no
    I hate to tell you ..... no just kidding, I have some on the sides. the rads onc NP told me women get it on their faces and it goes away!! so have faith.I would be reluctant to use anything on my face, but others may have different ideas.
  • m_azingrace
    m_azingrace Member Posts: 399
    carkris said:

I hate to tell you ..... no
    I hate to tell you ..... no just kidding, I have some on the sides. the rads onc NP told me women get it on their faces and it goes away!! so have faith.I would be reluctant to use anything on my face, but others may have different ideas.

I was looking through an Avon catalog, and they now have a product with fibers in it for filling in sparse eyebrows. I don't know how good it is, but might be worth a try. They'll take it back if you don't like it.
  • laurissa
    laurissa Member Posts: 773
    I had the fuzz on my face
    OK, I won't tell you to shave, but thats what I do. Its the easiest way. No matter how you get it off, it will come back. Just a few quick swipes and I'm smooth as a baby's butt. I also get those long straglers!
  • sweetvickid
    sweetvickid Member Posts: 459 Member
    laurissa said:

I had the fuzz on my face
    OK, I won't tell you to shave, but thats what I do. Its the easiest way. No matter how you get it off, it will come back. Just a few quick swipes and I'm smooth as a baby's butt. I also get those long straglers!

On my left check
    It showed up and with my fingers I just plucked it right off. Nurse said it might show up a gain but it isn't a permanenet thing.
  • bluwillo

On my left check
    It showed up and with my fingers I just plucked it right off. Nurse said it might show up a gain but it isn't a permanenet thing.

Thanks, all...I'll cancel the sex-change thing!
    Good to know that this too will (probably) pass. Stupid cancer, it's just one thing after another, but now all the "things" are just little things. Funny things, actually, because I'm alive to laugh, everything is funny and good.

(seriously, wonder if BC would pay for a sex change? Not that I would want one - might make things rather awkward with DH! But I'd love to see the look on a BC/BS claim's adjustor's face when the requisition came across her desk! Oh, I do love to make trouble)

As usual, ladies, thanks for answering my questions. I cannot believe I made it this far without you all, I've learned more here in one week than I did from all my med personal in a year!
  • ms.sunshine
    ms.sunshine Member Posts: 707 Member
    bluwillo said:

Thanks, all...I'll cancel the sex-change thing!
    Good to know that this too will (probably) pass. Stupid cancer, it's just one thing after another, but now all the "things" are just little things. Funny things, actually, because I'm alive to laugh, everything is funny and good.

(seriously, wonder if BC would pay for a sex change? Not that I would want one - might make things rather awkward with DH! But I'd love to see the look on a BC/BS claim's adjustor's face when the requisition came across her desk! Oh, I do love to make trouble)

As usual, ladies, thanks for answering my questions. I cannot believe I made it this far without you all, I've learned more here in one week than I did from all my med personal in a year!

I too had the peach fuzz, I
    I too had the peach fuzz, I would joke with my hubby about me growing a beard faster than he could. My did fall out, and my skin is back to soft and smooth. It takes awhile for your body to get back on track after all the chemo that has been dumped into your system.
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Late post....but me, too...
    And on my shoulders....I could feel it when I was outside in a breeze...lol!

My doc explained it this way: As a newborn, we are covered in this delicate fuzz. As we age, it gets rubbed off many ways, thru washing, and body scrubs, etc. It does not grow back in most cases, but the folicles are still there. When chemo causes all the hair to fall out, and then regrowth is started after chemo, these fuzzy folicles think they are newborn again...and produce hair, just like the first time. But, just like the first time, it doesn't continue growing...

Sadly, some of the drugs we need to take (Estrogen positive breast cancer survivors), can slow the process and the hair stays a bit longer...but if it bothers, ask about a light face waxing...

Hugs, Kathi
  • GenieM27
    GenieM27 Member Posts: 30
    I Laughed Out Loud when I saw this post!
    Sorry I had to laugh when I saw this post! :) I too, had that peach fuzzy thing. I was horrified when I saw that white fuzzy beard on my face and neck. I'd heard that some people shaved and it didn't come back. I was worried, but i took the plunged 2 weeks after my last chem and shaved my face. It hasn't come back, praise the Lord! This BC thing is a roller coaster ride that is for sure! Hugs and Love to You! Genie
  • JMAC1123
    JMAC1123 Member Posts: 5
    Hang in there!
    Same with me! Yes, I did have to use a depilatory on my face, and still do. Some of it does come out on its own, however, so wait till you absolutely can't stand it! I have brown hair, so I started coloring that "non-color" that firt appearred as soon as there was enough to cover my head. It gave me confidence to go "naked" sooner. It is amazing how your body starts growing that very healthy hair as soon as the poison is out of your system. Good luck-JMAC
  • Jill_S
    Jill_S Member Posts: 1
    It wasn't just me!
    So glad to read all these responses, I thought it was just me. Mine is thinning out though, definitely have less now then I did a few months ago.
  • bluwillo
    GenieM27 said:

Sorry I had to laugh when I saw this post! :) I too, had that peach fuzzy thing. I was horrified when I saw that white fuzzy beard on my face and neck. I'd heard that some people shaved and it didn't come back. I was worried, but i took the plunged 2 weeks after my last chem and shaved my face. It hasn't come back, praise the Lord! This BC thing is a roller coaster ride that is for sure! Hugs and Love to You! Genie

Genie, glad
    it made you laugh...laughter is the best medicine, isn't it?

So, really, you shaved and it didn't come back? Can I count on that? Dare I try it?????
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    GenieM27 said:

You are funny! I never had
    You are funny! I never had chemo, so, I never had the peach fuzz. I am hoping that yours goes away and never returns soon!