BRCA2 -

nkosi1127
nkosi1127 Member Posts: 7
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Has anyone had double mastectomy and reconstructive surgery because of testing positive for BRCA 2? I am asking because I have surgeries on 6/17/2010. I originally had a lumpectomy back in August of 2004 - I am in remission as of 5/16/2010 - now I have to deal with this. God is good and has been good - just another path I have to walk!

Comments

• MichPro
    MichPro Member Posts: 19
    BRCA
    While I waited for the results from my BRCA I felt like I had to choose a double mastectomy if found positive. Thankfully, it was negative. The only good news in a long stretch of not so good news. Doctors told me that if positive, I had 80% chance recurrence of cancer in 2-3 years.

I am so sorry for your news. God bless you and keep you safe during and after surgery.
  • 2Floridiansisters
    2Floridiansisters Member Posts: 384 Member
    MichPro said:

BRCA
    While I waited for the results from my BRCA I felt like I had to choose a double mastectomy if found positive. Thankfully, it was negative. The only good news in a long stretch of not so good news. Doctors told me that if positive, I had 80% chance recurrence of cancer in 2-3 years.

I am so sorry for your news. God bless you and keep you safe during and after surgery.

Help me to understand, please
    Do you have this BRCA test before you have surgery? I'm still learning my way around all this stuff.

Thanks for explaining,

Ronda
  • kederrick
    kederrick Member Posts: 7
    BRCA 1 sequencing mutation
    I have a BRCA one mutation which I did not know until after my surgery. I did opt to have a double mastectomy due to my mother having breast cancer. After making this decision, I learned that recent studies show if you have a mutation and you are under the age of 50 the best thing to do is to have a double mastectomy. My doctor does not recommend reconstruction until 6 - 12 months after surgery and treatments to give your body time to heal. As of now though I don't think reconstruction is right for me. I have a very supportive husband and I am just happy and content to be cancer free as of now.
  • greyhoundluvr
    greyhoundluvr Member Posts: 402
    BRCA -
    I had the BRCA testing done on my first visit to the oncologist. Both my oncologist and surgeon recommended that I wait until the result of that test came back if I was interested in having only the lumpectomy. Since I had already decided I wanted a bilateral mastectomy, they were OK with moving ahead with the surgery so I certainly got the impression that they were going to recommend the more aggressive surgery if positive. I'm sorry you got this bad news - it does sound like you are doing well and hopefully this will help you prevent problems in the future. My thoughts and prayers are with you for an uneventful recovery!

Chris
  • nkosi1127
    nkosi1127 Member Posts: 7

Help me to understand, please
    Do you have this BRCA test before you have surgery? I'm still learning my way around all this stuff.

Thanks for explaining,

Ronda

BRCA
    I actually had my surgery 8/19/2004, one of my doctor's finally convinced me right after remission that I needed to have test because I am a 4th generation BC survivor - my great gran, my gran, my mom, and then me. In retrospect I should not have waited and I could have had the surgery all at once -
  • Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    Dear nkosi,
    I opted for a

Dear nkosi,

I opted for a bilateral even though I was tested negative for BRAC1 and 2. My mom and my grandmother both had bc and I was diagnosed when I was 39. I believe that there are mutations out there they don't know about yet. I felt strongly that I needed to go extreme and do everything I could to prevent it from coming back. So, I after a lumpectomy in September where I was diagnosed with DCIS, I had a bi-lateral in February.

God is good and he will lead, guide and direct you. Praying that you'll have wisdom in your decision.

Blessings,
    dh