need advice about herceptin and dexamethasone

mariam_11_09
mariam_11_09 Member Posts: 691 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am having my first infusion of herceptin and taxol tomorrow friday. I was meant to take a dose of dexamethasone this evening before going to bed in preparation for taking the Herceptin tomorrow however I forgot to pick up the prescription (long story). I was going to go at 9am when the pharmacy opens and take it then but my chemo and herceptin infusion is at 10:45am, well that's when it all starts. Would this be alright? Of course I will double check with the Onc or nurse in the morning but was wondering what you other wonderful ladies think or have experienced.

much appreciated.
Mariam

Comments

• PNinMN
    PNinMN Member Posts: 28
    Check first
    My oncologist has me take the dex the day before chemo and now for 3 days after treatment. I receive the dex by IV during chemo. I didn't read the directions carefully before the first treatment so I didn't take as much as they wanted me to but it was OK because I was getting some by IV anyway.

Call them in the morning and ask if they still want you to take it or if they were planning to give it to you IV anyway during chemo and they may up that amount by IV so that you don't have to take the pills. Good luck to you with your first treatment - I hope it goes well for you.
  • mariam_11_09
    PNinMN said:

Check first
    My oncologist has me take the dex the day before chemo and now for 3 days after treatment. I receive the dex by IV during chemo. I didn't read the directions carefully before the first treatment so I didn't take as much as they wanted me to but it was OK because I was getting some by IV anyway.

Call them in the morning and ask if they still want you to take it or if they were planning to give it to you IV anyway during chemo and they may up that amount by IV so that you don't have to take the pills. Good luck to you with your first treatment - I hope it goes well for you.

Thank-you that is a good

Thank-you that is a good idea. I will call the Onc. in the morning, his office opens at 7:30am and the pharmacy at 9am so I might as well call the Onc. first.

I guess I am a little nervous about reacting to the treatment. I had a pretty strong reaction to the AC and the Onc. said I was rather sensitive to the AC. I know that doesn't mean I will be as sensitive if at all the the Taxol and Herceptin but I am still a little concerned anyway.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

Thank-you that is a good

Thank-you that is a good idea. I will call the Onc. in the morning, his office opens at 7:30am and the pharmacy at 9am so I might as well call the Onc. first.

I guess I am a little nervous about reacting to the treatment. I had a pretty strong reaction to the AC and the Onc. said I was rather sensitive to the AC. I know that doesn't mean I will be as sensitive if at all the the Taxol and Herceptin but I am still a little concerned anyway.

I never took herceptin and I
    I never took herceptin and I got IV decadron prior to the infusions. withthe AC I took decadron after, and the taxol none after. I dont know about herceptin. let us know!
  • CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    Mariam...........
    I took dexamethasone when having Taxol. I then had Herceptin infusions for a year and didn't take any.
    Yes, check with your onc or nurse....

CR
  • mariam_11_09
    CR1954 said:

Mariam...........
    I took dexamethasone when having Taxol. I then had Herceptin infusions for a year and didn't take any.
    Yes, check with your onc or nurse....

CR

yeah, I got it wrong. I

yeah, I got it wrong. I needed the dexamethasone for the Taxol infusion not the Herceptin. I called and left a message at the doctor's office but then ran down to the pharmacy and got the dexamethason and took it before I went in for the Taxol and Herceptin and then heard back from the nurse.. Everything worked out fine. I had no reaction at all. And no I am wondering why I need to take the steriods the night before and NOT be able to sleep when it worked just fine the morning off. I will ask the Onc. about this.
  • Marsha Mulvey
    Marsha Mulvey Member Posts: 597 Member

yeah, I got it wrong. I

yeah, I got it wrong. I needed the dexamethasone for the Taxol infusion not the Herceptin. I called and left a message at the doctor's office but then ran down to the pharmacy and got the dexamethason and took it before I went in for the Taxol and Herceptin and then heard back from the nurse.. Everything worked out fine. I had no reaction at all. And no I am wondering why I need to take the steriods the night before and NOT be able to sleep when it worked just fine the morning off. I will ask the Onc. about this.

Mariam
    If I were you, that's a question I would ask the doctor. I am currently on Herceptin only (and add Zometa once each month). However, prior to this I too was on Taxol and Herceptin every week for ten consecutive weeks. My infusions each week would begin with a drip of Benadryl, Pepcid, and DECADRON - all to help the body cope with the Taxol. After 3 weeks, I told my doctor that I was tired "but wired" and hardly getting any sleep. He cut my dosage of Decadron in half and soon I was at least able to get 3 or 4 hours of sleep at night. So...I don't understand having to have the steroid in your system any longer than necessary. It certainly is responsible for sleeplessness. Good luck with that. MM