My son is graduating

Options
jd1224
jd1224 Member Posts: 15
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My son is graduating on Saturday and the ceremony is taking place in a large venue that will be hot and crowded. I'm feeling so much anxiety about going because I'm so weak and tired still from my chemo. I want to go, yet i think everyone will understand if i cant. I don't want to disappoint my son. I'm so very proud of him. I'm just afraid i will get there and start feeling bad and will have to leave while dragging others with me. Will he understand? How do you all handle important functions that you know you just cant attend and hope others will understand?

Comments

• MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Options
    JD, the important one here
    JD, the important one here right now is YOU. We do all have to make concessions in our lives as we go through our treatments. Truth be known, you probably shouldn't be in a crowd of people that large anyway. Is there a chance that someone has a video camera and can record the event for you? I know I wouldn't want to miss my daughter's graduation but if it was between my health or the ceremony, I'd have to chose my health. I'm very certain that your son will understand and would probably make the same choice. I'm sorry that you have to miss something as important as this. It's not every day that our children graduate. Good luck and deep down I'm hoping that you have a surge of energy and are able to enjoy the ceremony in person. Take care.
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Options
    Have a heart to heart with
    Have a heart to heart with your son and tell him how you feel.
  • greyhoundluvr
    greyhoundluvr Member Posts: 402
    Options
    JD
    I know how heartbreaking this must be for you - I agree with Marcia. I would talk with your son. Then if you decide that you feel up to attending, changing your mind will be a pleasant surprise. I haven't had any major events come up that I had to miss but I have had to get my family to understand that how I feel can change on a daily basis - this disease and its treatment are really a roller coaster ride. I'm sure if you explain, your family will understand and find ways for you to be involved that don't involve heat and crowds. I wish you the best!

Chris
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options

JD
    I know how heartbreaking this must be for you - I agree with Marcia. I would talk with your son. Then if you decide that you feel up to attending, changing your mind will be a pleasant surprise. I haven't had any major events come up that I had to miss but I have had to get my family to understand that how I feel can change on a daily basis - this disease and its treatment are really a roller coaster ride. I'm sure if you explain, your family will understand and find ways for you to be involved that don't involve heat and crowds. I wish you the best!

Chris

I agree with everyone. You
    I agree with everyone. You probably shouldn't be in a crowd of people for your own health. I am sure your son would understand if you explained it to him. Your own health has to come first. Take care!

Hugs, Megan
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options
    Megan M said:

I agree with everyone. You
    I agree with everyone. You probably shouldn't be in a crowd of people for your own health. I am sure your son would understand if you explained it to him. Your own health has to come first. Take care!

Hugs, Megan

Good advices
    completely understand and relate to your situation.My son's graduation was in May (12 months after I finished my treatment). I was able to attend but had to leave earlier, did not stay for speeches. He was ok with this.
    Please take care of yourself.
    Hugs