How many of you

smalldoggroomer
smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
How many of you have had breast cancer twice?
How many have had double mastectomy just to make sure.
I have thought about it just to make sure I dont have to go through this twice.
I guess I just need some advice..

Comments

• MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Kay, I have only had one dx
    Kay, I have only had one dx of bc. I thought very long and hard about having a double mastectomy for the same reason you stated. After meeting with my surgeon she assured me that the recurrence nowadays is almost the same percentage when having a lumpectomy versus a mastectomy. I opted for the lumpectomy and feel that was the right choice for me. I guess time will tell if that was the right choice. The worst thing that can happen is I could have a recurrence and I would have to start the fight all over again....and, that I would!! Only you can make the decision as to what is right for you. Good luck and once you make it, don't look back, instead look forward to life after bc!!
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    I'm on my first...
    But will, if it reoccurs, consider having both removed...

Like MyTurn, my surgeon said that the stats were about the same for my type of breast cancer, lumpectomy or mastectomy. I'm vain. I opted for the least invasive. And the fastest recovery. And never looked back. I know that I can get cancer more than once, breast cancer followed rectal cancer for me....

But, it's a personal choice...my mom, who also had breast cancer, chose to have a single mastectomy.

(I know, I appologize all the time to my daughter for giving her a septic tank for a gene pool!)

Hugs, Kathi
    24242 Member Posts: 1,398
    BC Once
    I knew right from start to do the bilateral and then chemo and radiation. It was hard on me yes but the alternative at that time wasn't an option.
    I had one breast removed at a time one year apart. Fought stage 3 IDC first then still got lumps that were benign but still removed the other. I knew after watching my grandmother's fight that is what I needed to do to carry on with my life.
    Chemo cocktail of 5 drugs 6 cycles
    radiation 15 rounds
    Canadian Treated
    so dosages and radiation at that time much higher than most I beleive.
    Yes aggressive so treated it aggressively.
    Tara
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    24242 said:

BC Once
    I knew right from start to do the bilateral and then chemo and radiation. It was hard on me yes but the alternative at that time wasn't an option.
    I had one breast removed at a time one year apart. Fought stage 3 IDC first then still got lumps that were benign but still removed the other. I knew after watching my grandmother's fight that is what I needed to do to carry on with my life.
    radiation 15 rounds
    Canadian Treated
    Tara

I agree, Tara....
    It depends on the type of BC....so many different ones...

Mine was 'simple' invasive ductal...fairly self-contained...if it was IBC, for instance...my choice would have been made differently...that is why listening to the doc's recommendation is the wisest choice...and then, if your choice is made to be more aggressive, then you are covered...

Nice to see you!

Hugs, Kathi
  • camsgram
    camsgram Member Posts: 106
    Good luck making your
    Good luck making your decision. It is not any easy one. For me bilateral masectomy made the most scense. I NEVER want to hear those words again! I know there is still a very small chance but for me it was as close to never as I could get. Take care.
    Kathie
  • jd1224
    jd1224 Member Posts: 15
    camsgram said:

Good luck making your
    Good luck making your decision. It is not any easy one. For me bilateral masectomy made the most scense. I NEVER want to hear those words again! I know there is still a very small chance but for me it was as close to never as I could get. Take care.
    Kathie

My choice
    Stage 2 IDC here. I'm going for my last round of chemo on Monday and choosing a bi-lateral mastectomy. My oncologist is all about personal choice and i choose to not worry and wonder every few months if this disease is invading me again. I know there is still a chance of re-occurance in whatever choice i make but i will not be defined by my breasts and my husband is in total agreement with me. I to, never want to hear those words that have changed my life ever again. Good luck in whatever you choose to do. Like i said, the choice is a personal one and has to be right for you.
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    24242 said:

BC Once
    radiation 15 rounds
    Canadian Treated
    Tara

I have only had bc once. I
    I have only had bc once. I do know that because I am young, it could come back, but, I try not to dwell on that and just live a great and happy life!

Hugs, Angie
  • greyhoundluvr
    greyhoundluvr Member Posts: 402
    For Me
    I always knew that I would have a bilateral if I developed breast cancer. Both my oncologist and my surgeon told me that I was eligible for a lumpectomy and that having the mastectomy would not significantly alter my chance of recurrence in that breast. I didn't want to have to stress through the mammograms and the MRIs. What they said the bilateral would impact was the possibility of developing a second separate cancer on the opposite side. There is always a chance this could happen with residual breast cells left behind but the probability is much lower. This was the best thing that I could personally do to decrease the threat and the fear of having to go through this again. I am sure my family history pushed me in this direction (my mother had separate primary tumors in her breasts 3 years apart) but I do not regret my decision.

The decision is a hard one to make and I think all you can do is get all the information possible and follow your heart. Best wishes -

Chris
  • BunnyJane
    BunnyJane Member Posts: 213

For Me
    I always knew that I would have a bilateral if I developed breast cancer. Both my oncologist and my surgeon told me that I was eligible for a lumpectomy and that having the mastectomy would not significantly alter my chance of recurrence in that breast. I didn't want to have to stress through the mammograms and the MRIs. What they said the bilateral would impact was the possibility of developing a second separate cancer on the opposite side. There is always a chance this could happen with residual breast cells left behind but the probability is much lower. This was the best thing that I could personally do to decrease the threat and the fear of having to go through this again. I am sure my family history pushed me in this direction (my mother had separate primary tumors in her breasts 3 years apart) but I do not regret my decision.

The decision is a hard one to make and I think all you can do is get all the information possible and follow your heart. Best wishes -

Chris

Once is enough for me
    I had lumpectomy and chemo. to start. After completing chemo. my oncologist suggested that I consider a double mastectomy. Due to my strong family history, the oncologist thought that is was likely that I'd have a local recurrence. I had double mastectomy and have no regrets.
  • Christine Louise
    Christine Louise Member Posts: 426 Member
    bi-lateral
    My surgeon recommended bi-lateral because my right breast had a bc type that's likely to show up in the left breast later. So, I had bi-lateral. After the tissue was tested, there was worse cancer in my supposedly healthy left breast. Lucky choice.
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    jd1224 said:

My choice
    Stage 2 IDC here. I'm going for my last round of chemo on Monday and choosing a bi-lateral mastectomy. My oncologist is all about personal choice and i choose to not worry and wonder every few months if this disease is invading me again. I know there is still a chance of re-occurance in whatever choice i make but i will not be defined by my breasts and my husband is in total agreement with me. I to, never want to hear those words that have changed my life ever again. Good luck in whatever you choose to do. Like i said, the choice is a personal one and has to be right for you.

I had breast cancer once and
    I had breast cancer once and hopefully, that will be it for me. I had a lumpectomy, followed by rads.
  • lizzie17
    lizzie17 Member Posts: 548
    bc dx
    Just once, so far(??) and double mast.
  • MichPro
    MichPro Member Posts: 19
    jd1224 said:

My choice

Question jd1224
    You finished chemo and then will have a double mastectomy? I'm sorry to be so uninformed, but doesn't the chemo kill the cancer? I have Stage 2 IDC and the doc says 18% chance recurrance after chemo/radiation. I'm grade 3, triple negative. I start chemo next week. Am I headed to where you are?
    I thought chemo/radiation/lumpectomy would fix it. Am I just naive?
  • Chickadee1955
    Chickadee1955 Member Posts: 356 Member
    lizzie17 said:

bc dx
    Just once, so far(??) and double mast.

I opted for a bilateral
    I opted for a bilateral mastectomy although my onc told me I was a candidate for lumpectomy. My sister is a four year cancer survivor; three maternal aunts had bc, and my mom had multiple biopsies (all benign). My onc told me that my survival rate was no higher with mastectomy, but I figure the recurrence rate in the opposite breast is no longer an issue. Now I am wrestling with whether or not to have chemo along with hormone therapy. Fortunately I had no lymph node involvement and have positive hormone receptors.

I am totally happy with the BLM and kind of think I will go for the most aggressive approach to treatment going forward as well. I would hate to have a recurrence somewhere else in my body and think I could have prevented it with chemo.
  • ms.sunshine
    ms.sunshine Member Posts: 707 Member
    Only once
    chemo, lumpectomy

Only once
    chemo, lumpectomy and now rad.
    Ask your dr. mast. vs. lump. Think about which one would be best for you, then listen to your heart.
  • kederrick
    kederrick Member Posts: 7
    Once
    I have just finished chemo for my diagnosis. I opted to have a double mastectomy from the very beginning. I had wanted to have it done ten years earlier, however at that time the insurance considered it to be a cosmetic procedure and they would not cover it. I am so happy with the decision that I made. For me it was personal after seeing my mom go through it, I didn't want to do it, however, after diagnosis, I knew that it was a one time shot for me, all or none.