Cookbook suggestions?

jazzy1
jazzy1 Member Posts: 1,379
edited March 2014 in Uterine/Endometrial Cancer #1
I'm really getting into eating better, but just seem to be "plain Jane" with my type of cooking/baking. I've looked thru my cancer recipe books and notice many with ingredients of sugars, margarine and flour. Any one have suggestions for cookbooks with the "plant-like" foods and "no-sugars" (bad kind)?

Thinking my 10 years as a Pillsbury corp rep and acquiring tons of cookbooks won't fit my new lifestyle.

Thanks ladies!
Jan

Comments

• Ro10
    Ro10 Member Posts: 1,561 Member
    Have new cookbook I ordered
    When I ordered the "Anti-cancer: A New way of Life" book, the site also showed "The Anti-cancer Cookbook, How to Cut Your Risk with the Most Powerful Cancer Fighting Foods." by Julia B. Greer MD, MPH. I have only paged through some of the recipes because I am reading the other book. It seems to have some healthy recipes. It uses some white flour but also includes whole wheat flour in the same recipe. I see honey, maple syrup used in some of the recipes, or splenda. I'll let you know more about the book when I can spend more time reviewing and using the cookbook.

I am enjoying the Anticancer book. Claudia has recommended this book, and his ideas for so long. I finally bought the book. It has many suggestions on changes one can make to help slow the growth of cancer cells. I have not tried the tumeric, pepper and olive oil yet, but am ready to try it.

I am about half way through the book. I think I am already doing the meditation and exercise part. I found out I am not drinking my green tea soon enough after I brew it. He says you should drink it with an hour of brewing it. I have been making a big glass of iced tea and sipping it over several hours.

Jan I too have many recipe books that I won't be using anymore either. And how I loved fixing all those delicious desserts. In peace and caring.
  • kkstef
    kkstef Member Posts: 688 Member
    Cook Books that might be of interest
    Hi Jan

I recently read about a new cookbook by Rebecca Katz called "The Cancer Fighting Kitchen" She also wrote a book in its second edition called "One Bite At a Time".

You can get more info and read and print off some of the actual recipes at her website: http//:rebeccakaatz.com I did read some of the recipes and they look very healthy AND very tasty...not boring at all.

Click on the tab that says "culinary RX" and there is a long list of healthy foods...just hover over each one and it will enlarge to give more details about why that food is healthy.

Interestingly enough, the beloved Dr. David Servan-Schreiber who wrote Anticancer: A new Way of Life that so many of us like, also has a note on Ms.Katz's website re: The Cancer Fighting Kitchen: "Rebecca Katz thinks "big" when it comes to flavor and "strong" when it comes to slowing cancer. Enjoy the book". I see Dr. Weil also endorses the book.

If anyone else has had any experience with either of her cook books I would love to hear about it!

Bon Apetit!
    Karen
  • jazzy1
    Ro10 said:

Have new cookbook I ordered
    When I ordered the "Anti-cancer: A New way of Life" book, the site also showed "The Anti-cancer Cookbook, How to Cut Your Risk with the Most Powerful Cancer Fighting Foods." by Julia B. Greer MD, MPH. I have only paged through some of the recipes because I am reading the other book. It seems to have some healthy recipes. It uses some white flour but also includes whole wheat flour in the same recipe. I see honey, maple syrup used in some of the recipes, or splenda. I'll let you know more about the book when I can spend more time reviewing and using the cookbook.

I am enjoying the Anticancer book. Claudia has recommended this book, and his ideas for so long. I finally bought the book. It has many suggestions on changes one can make to help slow the growth of cancer cells. I have not tried the tumeric, pepper and olive oil yet, but am ready to try it.

I am about half way through the book. I think I am already doing the meditation and exercise part. I found out I am not drinking my green tea soon enough after I brew it. He says you should drink it with an hour of brewing it. I have been making a big glass of iced tea and sipping it over several hours.

Jan I too have many recipe books that I won't be using anymore either. And how I loved fixing all those delicious desserts. In peace and caring.

Cookbooks
    Ladies,

I have the Anticancer book by David and also purchased the Anticancer cookbook, by Julia. Both I've started to read and found them both excellent. Can never have enough cookbooks can we? I was corp sales rep for Pillsbury for 10 years and have zillions of the sugar loaded and creamy loaded recipes. Guess those are prime candidates for garage sales. Now if I can figure out how to tweek them for "healthy" eating that will be great.

I'm involved with The Wellness Center here in St Louis and our group clinician gave me the recommendation for both of these books. Also anything by Rebecca Katz, which is what Karen mentioned. She's big on WHOLE WHEAT PASTRY FLOUR instead of white flour.....lighter than whole wheat and claims it's fabulous!! Will have to ask how we use it in place of some other flours.....don't know if transition is the same -- 1C. to 1C. Get back with you on that question.

Anyone hear about not using Olive Oil for heating, as changes the texture of oil and not good for us?? Heard at nutritional conference as she suggested something like Coconut Oil. Well if I could find coconut oil I'd be fine....have to research more.

Thanks again,
    Jan
  • kkstef
    kkstef Member Posts: 688 Member
    jazzy1 said:

Cookbooks
    Ladies,

I have the Anticancer book by David and also purchased the Anticancer cookbook, by Julia. Both I've started to read and found them both excellent. Can never have enough cookbooks can we? I was corp sales rep for Pillsbury for 10 years and have zillions of the sugar loaded and creamy loaded recipes. Guess those are prime candidates for garage sales. Now if I can figure out how to tweek them for "healthy" eating that will be great.

I'm involved with The Wellness Center here in St Louis and our group clinician gave me the recommendation for both of these books. Also anything by Rebecca Katz, which is what Karen mentioned. She's big on WHOLE WHEAT PASTRY FLOUR instead of white flour.....lighter than whole wheat and claims it's fabulous!! Will have to ask how we use it in place of some other flours.....don't know if transition is the same -- 1C. to 1C. Get back with you on that question.

Anyone hear about not using Olive Oil for heating, as changes the texture of oil and not good for us?? Heard at nutritional conference as she suggested something like Coconut Oil. Well if I could find coconut oil I'd be fine....have to research more.

Thanks again,
    Jan

Oil guide
    Jan...check this out: http://www.spectrumorganics.com/images/uploads/49623ec41cb5b.pdf

If that doesn't open just go to: www.spectrumorganics.com and cursor down on the left side of the page for the cooking guide for fats and oils. A dietitian gave me this website.

Karen
  • culka
    culka Member Posts: 149 Member
    jazzy1 said:

Cookbooks
    Ladies,

Thanks again,
    Jan

Jan
    just replace white with whole wheat.
    Coconut oil is in natural or organic shelf in our stores here in Canada.

For Budwig mix and fresh salad we don`t need cook book. I have tons of them in different languages, used to be glued to food network and now, oh well life is beautiful. Best cooking technique for me is KISS (keep it simple stupid), but my family is still complaining about good old time when I cooked what they like.
  • jazzy1
    culka said:

Jan
    just replace white with whole wheat.
    Coconut oil is in natural or organic shelf in our stores here in Canada.

For Budwig mix and fresh salad we don`t need cook book. I have tons of them in different languages, used to be glued to food network and now, oh well life is beautiful. Best cooking technique for me is KISS (keep it simple stupid), but my family is still complaining about good old time when I cooked what they like.

Cooking
    I know what you mean about the family not into our cooking/baking. I don't do it fancy with loads of calories therefore, I get some stares from the family. In the end they shouldn't complain a both have lost weight...hee! hee!

Yes with receipes say whole wheat, replace with same measurement of Wheat pastry flour. I need to try it as I agree whole wheat is quite heavy when recipes are cooked.

Do you olive oil or something else when cooking?

Thanks!
    Jan
  • catbird
    catbird Member Posts: 33
    jazzy1 said:

Cooking
    I know what you mean about the family not into our cooking/baking. I don't do it fancy with loads of calories therefore, I get some stares from the family. In the end they shouldn't complain a both have lost weight...hee! hee!

Yes with receipes say whole wheat, replace with same measurement of Wheat pastry flour. I need to try it as I agree whole wheat is quite heavy when recipes are cooked.

Do you olive oil or something else when cooking?

Thanks!
    Jan

olive oil is not for cooking/heating
    all i've ever read is olive oil is not for cooking/heating/frying with altho it uses are promoted for everything - i call it a sales pitch - ha!
  • jazzy1
    catbird said:

olive oil is not for cooking/heating
    all i've ever read is olive oil is not for cooking/heating/frying with altho it uses are promoted for everything - i call it a sales pitch - ha!

Catbird
    What do you use for cooking....coconut oil? So I've not lost my mind when others have told me not to use for cooking.

Thanks
  • catbird
    catbird Member Posts: 33
    jazzy1 said:

Catbird
    What do you use for cooking....coconut oil? So I've not lost my mind when others have told me not to use for cooking.

Thanks

on cooking oils - Jazzy1
    As long as you're using fats and oils sparingly in your cooking and preparation, it would be fine to use any one of the following "good" oils. All of the following oils are low in saturated fats and trans fats. Some have high concentration of monounsaturated fats such as olive oil. Choose corn oil, safflower oil, sunflower oil, soy oil or canola oil if you wish to fry foods as these oils have higher smoke point. It is best not to fry with olive oil as its smoke point is only about 190C/375F.

above from a source finally remembered - i/ve read coconut oil is not good

The following "bad" oils contain high percentage of trans fat or saturated fats. Some, such as coconut oil, even contain more saturated fats than animal products!

Bad Cooking Oils:

Vegetable shortening
    Hard margarine
    Butter
    Palm oil
    Palm kernel oil
    Coconut oil