What's in your name?

Comments

• Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    Such fun!
    I just picked 2 of my favorite things. Lighthouses and the number 7.
    Real name is Wanda
  • BethInAz
    BethInAz Member Posts: 203 Member
    Not as creative as you others
    I'm BethinAz - guess you can all figure that one out! I'm Beth and I live in Arizona! When my husband asked me about everybody's "handles" and I told him about "MyTurnNow," he thought that was especially thoughtful and interesting. Instead of the age old question, Why Me?, you, Debbie, have put an entirely different spin on this with your acceptance of our all possibly taking turns with this diagnosis at one time or another. Thanks for the wisdom you displayed with your choice.
    Beth
  • greyhoundluvr
    greyhoundluvr Member Posts: 402
    Greyhoundluvr
    My daughter had told me about one of her patients whose cancer had recurred and she was going to have to move in with her daughter. She was especially traumatized because she was going to have to give away her dog. The receptionist in my daughter's office has a bunch of dogs at home but offered to take this one in and give it a loving home. The lady sent her pet to the spa to be bathed and trimmed and her new owners picked her up from there. It broke my heart and I said that if I ever went through something like that (this was a couple of months before my diagnosis), I would want my dog curled up by my side. That story just popped into my head when I signed up - and my dog is still by my side.....

Chris
  • aisling8
    aisling8 Member Posts: 1,627 Member

Greyhoundluvr
    My daughter had told me about one of her patients whose cancer had recurred and she was going to have to move in with her daughter. She was especially traumatized because she was going to have to give away her dog. The receptionist in my daughter's office has a bunch of dogs at home but offered to take this one in and give it a loving home. The lady sent her pet to the spa to be bathed and trimmed and her new owners picked her up from there. It broke my heart and I said that if I ever went through something like that (this was a couple of months before my diagnosis), I would want my dog curled up by my side. That story just popped into my head when I signed up - and my dog is still by my side.....

Chris

My screen name
    is pronounced Ash-ling. It is Irish/Gaelic and means "vision" or "dream." The 8 is because Aisling alone was taken so I added my favorite number.

Victoria
  • m-star
    m-star Member Posts: 441
    aisling8 said:

My screen name
    is pronounced Ash-ling. It is Irish/Gaelic and means "vision" or "dream." The 8 is because Aisling alone was taken so I added my favorite number.

Victoria

my real name is Kay but my
    my real name is Kay but my screen name on all of the sites i belong to is Midnight Star. When i joined this site and the breastcancer.org site, it was just easier and quicker to shorten it to m-star.

Why did i choose m-star? I love stars and midnight star sounded like quite a romantic screen name! On the very first site i joined years ago (a tae kwondo site) there was a man there called Mr Morningstar (yes its his real name!) and i liked it so thought i'd have something similar.

Funnily enough,he is American and runs some tae kwondo schools there.His name is Mike Morningstar. I believe he was a world champion at some point.
  • jk1952
    jk1952 Member Posts: 613
    m-star said:

my real name is Kay but my screen name on all of the sites i belong to is Midnight Star. When i joined this site and the breastcancer.org site, it was just easier and quicker to shorten it to m-star.

Why did i choose m-star? I love stars and midnight star sounded like quite a romantic screen name! On the very first site i joined years ago (a tae kwondo site) there was a man there called Mr Morningstar (yes its his real name!) and i liked it so thought i'd have something similar.

Funnily enough,he is American and runs some tae kwondo schools there.His name is Mike Morningstar. I believe he was a world champion at some point.

Mine is very boring: my

Mine is very boring: my initials and the year that I was born. When I signed up, I had been reading the boards for quite a while, and then a post appeared that I felt I had to respond to. That's the best I could come up with, at the time.

Joyce
  • Miss Murphy
    Miss Murphy Member Posts: 302
    m-star said:

Nice Change!
    This is a nice, fun topic for a change of pace! Interesting to read all the stories on our names. I too am leery of my info out there on the internet so my cover was my toy poodle Murphy. Murphy is a girl dog and I named her for Murphy Brown,aka Candice Bergen (the TV show by the same name, years ago). As it turns out, I named her appropiately for her namesake as they are so much alike. My Murphy is fiesty, stubborn,and has an attitude (not to mention being spoiled rotten!!)! I just put the Miss in front of her name to indicate Murphy is a girl!!!!! My real name is not so interesting - just Sally. Thanks to all for sharing.
  • jk1952
    jk1952 Member Posts: 613
    m-star said:

Oops: double post
    Oops.
  • Scotch Freckles
    Scotch Freckles Member Posts: 273 Member
    What's in a name?
    I used Scotch because my mother was first generation American, and I love Scotch. Her parents and siblings were all born in Scotland and I hope to one day visit. Freckles was a nick name a neighbor gave me. He asked me where my freckles came from and I didn't know so he told me, "Your got your freckles from looking through the screen door after it rained and the rust stuck to your face". His daughter and I met when we were 4 so I guess I looked through their screen door alot. My name is Kathryn.
  • SamuraiMom
    SamuraiMom Member Posts: 295
    SamuraiMom
    Why a Samurai you ask? I'm a blonde Welsh/Irish/Scandnavian-well let's call me an Ellis Island gene mutation at this point, white American...hmmm.

Well, in everyone's mind, filed securely in your database for emergencies, I believe there is a survival chip. Some do not know how to access it. Some ignore it or don't recognize it and for some like myself it shows up just in the nick time like the sounds of an ice cream truck in the distance on a hot summer day.

As my husband Chris and I sat holding hands, white knuckled and took the news that the second biopsy confirmed breast cancer, I didn't cry. I felt red with anger. I envisioned myself as an angry, tough, mean and unstoppable Samurai warrior with a long, shining steel sword ready to kick cancer's ****. (my survival chip must have been 'Made in Japan')

xxoo,
    JoJo
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member

What's in a name?
    I used Scotch because my mother was first generation American, and I love Scotch. Her parents and siblings were all born in Scotland and I hope to one day visit. Freckles was a nick name a neighbor gave me. He asked me where my freckles came from and I didn't know so he told me, "Your got your freckles from looking through the screen door after it rained and the rust stuck to your face". His daughter and I met when we were 4 so I guess I looked through their screen door alot. My name is Kathryn.

Such a good idea!
    What a fantastic idea, MyTurn! Thank you all for sharing such funny, touching, interesting stories -- I feel like I'm getting to know all of you better.

No mystery to my screen name, either -- my name is Traci, and I live in Los Angeles. This is the first online anything I've ever joined, and it took me 2 months to join, because I sat in front of my computer staring at the signup page literally a dozen times when I was home recovering from my surgery, having NO idea how to come up with a "handle." I figured there would be members from all over the country, so finally came up with the idea to include where I'm from.

And then BethInAZ and JanInMN came along...and shamelessly stole my idea! :-)

Cousin Natly -- you were born in 1915? Girl, you look GOOD for your age! ;-)

Traci
  • Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138
    Boppy
    Boppy is the name my grandson gave me. I was going to be Grammy but he never would say that. he came up with Boppy all on his own (of course I love it) and I have 3 grandchildren so Boppy_of_3, thats me!
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

Boppy
    Boppy is the name my grandson gave me. I was going to be Grammy but he never would say that. he came up with Boppy all on his own (of course I love it) and I have 3 grandchildren so Boppy_of_3, thats me!

I was not feeling too
    I was not feeling too original either but mine is a combo of my daughters Carly and Kristen who along with my husband sustain me (and you guys too of course.). My name is Penny (really, not a nickname) all of your answers are cool and interesting. You learn more than just BC on this site, like pizza for PMS.
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    I've often wondered about this, too!
    I'm Susan, middle initial B. Mly - last name without vowels and 53, well, that's the year I was born which makes me - eek! - 57 in December.

Thanks for asking!

Sue
  • ladyg
    ladyg Member Posts: 1,577
    This probably sounds weird
    This probably sounds weird but when I picked my name I was still pretty much in shock and was thinking about the yellow lab I lost to cancer. Her name was Lady and the g is my first initial for Georgia
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    ladyg said:

This probably sounds weird
    This probably sounds weird but when I picked my name I was still pretty much in shock and was thinking about the yellow lab I lost to cancer. Her name was Lady and the g is my first initial for Georgia

I thought you liked lady
    I thought you liked lady GaGa!
  • kate33
    kate33 Member Posts: 24
    What's in your name
    My name is Kate and 33 has always been my favorite number. Ever since my Dad passed away three years ago my whole family sees 33's everywhere we go. I like to think that every time I see one it is my Dad letting me know he is watching over me. It makes me happy whenever I see one.
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    kate33 said:

What's in your name
    My name is Kate and 33 has always been my favorite number. Ever since my Dad passed away three years ago my whole family sees 33's everywhere we go. I like to think that every time I see one it is my Dad letting me know he is watching over me. It makes me happy whenever I see one.

I feel like I was reborn
    I joined this site when I completed invasive treatment: surgery, reconstruction, 6 Chemo, and radiation. I felt like a crocus on the snow, everything was new and strange. Sometime it still does. I have been learning to to live a new life and be happy every day to sun, wind and people around me.
  • Emilyfimily
    Emilyfimily Member Posts: 141
    My name's Emily, and my
    My name's Emily, and my uncle used to call me Emily Fimily when I was little. When I'm joking around with family on e-mail, sometimes I'll sign it Emilyfimily. So, there ya go :D
  • cavediver
    cavediver Member Posts: 607
    what I do (or did)
    two days after returning from guiding a group of divers from around the world in the underwater caves of Mexico, I got the results of biopsy and received dx. I work as an underwater cave guide in Mexico, flying back and forth from usa. But that may all be over now.......... it was one hell of a good 20 years lifestle though!