post surgery

jphilpo
jphilpo Member Posts: 177
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi All,

I am having a bi-lateral mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction on June 14th. To anyone out there who had this, I need just a few basic questions answered..

What did you wear in the hospital and what home? Also, what was the best thing to wear at home while recovering? I want to start getting things ready and need some advice.

Thanks to you all

Comments

• TulsaMomof3
    TulsaMomof3 Member Posts: 105
    I just had this on May 5th,
    I just had this on May 5th, I wore the hospital gown the whole time I was there> Now that I am home I wear large sleeves button up pajamas. Tomorrow I have to get our and go to the doctor I am wearing black pajama bottoms and a loose button up shirt - still have drains and am in a surgical bra.
    The reocvery is tougher than i thought but I am doing a little better everyday
  • jphilpo

I just had this on May 5th,
    I just had this on May 5th, I wore the hospital gown the whole time I was there> Now that I am home I wear large sleeves button up pajamas. Tomorrow I have to get our and go to the doctor I am wearing black pajama bottoms and a loose button up shirt - still have drains and am in a surgical bra.
    The reocvery is tougher than i thought but I am doing a little better everyday

surgery
    Thank you SO much for responding!! I know you must be hurting. Glad to hear you "made do" with large type clothing. Is it hard getting the pajama bottoms on at home?? How soon did they get you out of bed in the hospital?
  • TulsaMomof3
    jphilpo said:

surgery
    Thank you SO much for responding!! I know you must be hurting. Glad to hear you "made do" with large type clothing. Is it hard getting the pajama bottoms on at home?? How soon did they get you out of bed in the hospital?

They made me get up on day 3
    They made me get up on day 3 and walk about 20 feet down the hall and back, I have heard of others doing better but my walking has been limited, The only problem I have with pj bottoms or panty's is that the drain in my abdomen is bit bothersome so I have to line the waist ban with gauze strips thats seems to help. I also have almost no appetitte I have to really make my self eat. Good thing is I actually have lost 12 pounds since surgey. I had DD breast a belly from having kids- which is very flat now :) My breast are swollen its hard to say what size they will be they look like large c's small D's. I am 5'4 and weigh 168 prior to surgery and I was about a sz 14. I am sure I am an easy 12 now mabey even close to a 10. Once things go down and I get some comfort back I will try on pants :). I get the garment tomorrow- I have heard it helps but I hate girdles so IDK.
  • jphilpo

They made me get up on day 3
    They made me get up on day 3 and walk about 20 feet down the hall and back, I have heard of others doing better but my walking has been limited, The only problem I have with pj bottoms or panty's is that the drain in my abdomen is bit bothersome so I have to line the waist ban with gauze strips thats seems to help. I also have almost no appetitte I have to really make my self eat. Good thing is I actually have lost 12 pounds since surgey. I had DD breast a belly from having kids- which is very flat now :) My breast are swollen its hard to say what size they will be they look like large c's small D's. I am 5'4 and weigh 168 prior to surgery and I was about a sz 14. I am sure I am an easy 12 now mabey even close to a 10. Once things go down and I get some comfort back I will try on pants :). I get the garment tomorrow- I have heard it helps but I hate girdles so IDK.

This is great help!! I have
    This is great help!! I have gained about 10 pounds since my treatments, so I am hoping to lose it this summer after this surgery. I guess I look at it as a perk, since I am really scared. I know it's a VERY long surgery. How long were you in ICU & then in a room? I hope you don't mind all the questions.
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    jphilpo said:

surgery

Wishing you good luck on
    Wishing you good luck on your surgery jphilpo!
  • TulsaMomof3
    jphilpo said:

This is great help!! I have
    This is great help!! I have gained about 10 pounds since my treatments, so I am hoping to lose it this summer after this surgery. I guess I look at it as a perk, since I am really scared. I know it's a VERY long surgery. How long were you in ICU & then in a room? I hope you don't mind all the questions.

I had surgery on Wednesday
    I had surgery on Wednesday it lasted 7.5 hours I had 1 general surgeon do the masecomies, My PS that did the DEIP then another general surgen was sworking on sewing up my belly. I was in ICU for 2 days, then went home Sunday night. The first 3 days at home where very hard but after that I got better every day. Its been 3 weeks, I still have some discomfort but I can drive, I went to the movies. Once I got all the drains out everything was much better :)
  • jphilpo

I had surgery on Wednesday
    I had surgery on Wednesday it lasted 7.5 hours I had 1 general surgeon do the masecomies, My PS that did the DEIP then another general surgen was sworking on sewing up my belly. I was in ICU for 2 days, then went home Sunday night. The first 3 days at home where very hard but after that I got better every day. Its been 3 weeks, I still have some discomfort but I can drive, I went to the movies. Once I got all the drains out everything was much better :)

surgery
    I am so happy you are doing well! It is good to hear from you. I am going to buy some x large pj's for when I get home. It's good to know that I will get through this!