DCIS,RDX and now rib pain

CarolynMA
CarolynMA Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
After a DCIS diagnosis - I am one year out of surgeries followed by rdx and now 6 mths of tamoxifen. The past 2 weeks I have had pain (feels like a bruise, but no visible brusing along the top of my ribs, along the lower part of my underam, and ends just under my shoulder blade (on the DCIS side). I have a call into my oncologist but have not connected yet. Has anyone had anything like this? I can not tell if it is the bones or the tissue that feels bruised...

Comments

• Christine Louise
    Christine Louise Member Posts: 426 Member
    I hope you can see your
    I hope you can see your oncologist soon. Please let us know what's going on.
  • Wolfi
    Wolfi Member Posts: 425
    Been there, done that.....
    Carolyn,

I am at nine months since surgery, done with radiation and been on Tamoxifen since February. My ribs hurt so much it would wake me up during the night. I was told by my GP that it was swelling around my breastbone - tried medication that didn't help much. My oncologist had me switch to Gabapentin for the pain (told me it is often given to lung cancer patients). This has seemed to help a bit but it knocks me out I can only take it at night before I go to sleep.

I think there are a few possible causes to your pain and it could just be some swelling. Talk to your doctor about it.

Wolfi
  • padee6339
    padee6339 Member Posts: 763
    WOW
    I just talked to my oncologist about almost the same thing. I will be out of Rads one year on June 3rd and within the past month or so, I have been getting cramping and rib pain under the right breast. If I lean over to pick something up, put on a shoe or sometimes just bend over, I get a bad cramp. I can even feel the muscle knot under the skin. She told me that was very normal and not to worry about it. I hope she's right. I have had a bad bout with bronchitis and did a lot of coughing and thought maybe I cracked the damaged rib, but she said no. Is this a normal thing? She seemed to think so.
    Pat
  • bjmom1
    bjmom1 Member Posts: 152
    padee6339 said:

WOW
    I just talked to my oncologist about almost the same thing. I will be out of Rads one year on June 3rd and within the past month or so, I have been getting cramping and rib pain under the right breast. If I lean over to pick something up, put on a shoe or sometimes just bend over, I get a bad cramp. I can even feel the muscle knot under the skin. She told me that was very normal and not to worry about it. I hope she's right. I have had a bad bout with bronchitis and did a lot of coughing and thought maybe I cracked the damaged rib, but she said no. Is this a normal thing? She seemed to think so.
    Pat

same problem
    I have bone pain under my right breast and they still cannot find out what causing the problem. I do recommend if u have any other problem like bone pain in your back or chest please ask for a xray. That is how I found out I had bone met to my back.

Barbara
  • cathyp
    cathyp Member Posts: 376 Member
    bjmom1 said:

same problem
    I have bone pain under my right breast and they still cannot find out what causing the problem. I do recommend if u have any other problem like bone pain in your back or chest please ask for a xray. That is how I found out I had bone met to my back.

Barbara

bone pain
    was the pain that you had before being dx'd w/mets constant or did it come and go. could you please describe it? thanks in advance.