Fatigue vs sleep

autumnskisses
autumnskisses Member Posts: 8
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi, (smile)
I had my first session with AC. So far things are going great, but, I did not get much sleep last night. I should be ready to fall asleep, but I can't. I do feel fatigued. It started mid morning. Is the fatigue keeping me awake? I need sleep. Help?
Debbie

Comments

• TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Did you get steroids beforehand?
    Hi, Debbie -

Did your oncologist have you take steroids for a day or two before and/or after chemo? Also, did they give you steroids by IV before your infusion?

Steroids make it VERY difficult to sleep, until they're out of your system -- I've heard women on this board joke (or maybe they weren't joking?) about organizing their sock drawers or painting the bathroom the night after chemo for lack of being able to sleep.

I took steroids (Decadron) for about a day before each round, then they pumped me full of some more by IV. I definitely needed a sleeping pill for the first two nights after each round -- once they were out of my system after a couple of days, my sleep went back to pretty much normal.

Hope that helps?

Traci
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    We're all different!
    When I was on A/C, I had no problems with sleeping - I was TIRED 2 day after for 2 days. Taxol kept me from sleepng - chemo Dr gave me a sleep pill but it did nothing, my PA gave me a different 1 and it (lowest dosage) was great. It's still on my drug list PRN but haven't taken 1 in months but she wants me to have it "just in case".

Have you tried Tylenol PM?
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    TraciInLA said:

Hi, Debbie -

Did your oncologist have you take steroids for a day or two before and/or after chemo? Also, did they give you steroids by IV before your infusion?

Steroids make it VERY difficult to sleep, until they're out of your system -- I've heard women on this board joke (or maybe they weren't joking?) about organizing their sock drawers or painting the bathroom the night after chemo for lack of being able to sleep.

I took steroids (Decadron) for about a day before each round, then they pumped me full of some more by IV. I definitely needed a sleeping pill for the first two nights after each round -- once they were out of my system after a couple of days, my sleep went back to pretty much normal.

Hope that helps?

Traci

I had steroids with AC and
    I had steroids with AC and that made it hard to sleep. Rest when you can. I definitely needed meds for sleep all the way through chemo treatment.
  • autumnskisses
    autumnskisses Member Posts: 8
    TraciInLA said:

Hi, Debbie -

Hope that helps?

Traci

Fatigue vs sleep
    Hi, (smile)
    I just had a 2 hour nap, and it was restful. I have not had any steriods, probably because I am a diabetic. I am taking trazadone, which helps me to stay asleep. I will wait and see.
    Yhank you,
    Debbie