My soulful reflection for the day

Hissy_Fitz
Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
I had my 3rd maintenance dose of Taxol this week. I complained to my doctor that I get soooooo tired, so easily. I can sleep the clock around, some days (most days). He said, "Well, your blood work looks good, so it's not that. Its probably because we're poisoning you." Chemo humor, I guess.

I happened to sit next to a young woman on Wednesday who has Stage III Peritoneal Cancer. Hers was initially caught very early – not even definitely defined as malignant, during an ultrasound while she was pregnant. She had one ovary removed. No chemo was recommended because they “got it all”. Only they didn’t get it all. A tiny piece of ovarian tissue was left behind and two years later, the cancer had spread and her current doctor (same one that treats me) did a complete hysterectomy and removed her omentum. The Cancer, however, had seeded throughout her peritoneum and he could not remove all of it. She is 28 years old. A single mom with a two year old. My own prognosis makes me sad, but I cannot imagine being in such a place as this young lady. She has barely lived, has just begun to raise her child, and now this. I no longer feel quite so sorry for myself.

Carlene

Comments

• lindaprocopio
    lindaprocopio Member Posts: 1,980 Member
    How true! Those you meet at the chemo lounge add perspective!
    So so true. I met people and heard stories that made me cry at the chemo lounge. I totally stopped praying for a cure for myself when I met others that needed to be cured more than I do, with 57 years of wonderful life behind me. I started praying for a cure for those others. I still tear up remembering the sad haunted eyes of a father wheeling his ematiated little boy into the radiation suite in a wheelchair for a treatment as I was going out. I'd rather have a cancer that kills me than live with that man's clearly evident pain.
  • Barbara53
    Barbara53 Member Posts: 652
    young at heart
    I know what you mean. My mother's onc sees only OVCA cases, and when I see young women in his office, it breaks my heart. Please, please let it be a false call, I pray, and hope it does some good.

It's logical to look at age and accept it as justification for this disease, but that doesn't work when you're young at heart. Last week my mother said she couldn't believe her grandson was turning 30. "I was just 30 a few years ago," she said, waving her 79-year old arms. When you're young at heart, you fight.
  • nancy591
    nancy591 Member Posts: 1,027 Member
    thanks for sharing
    It is truly those stories that put things into perspective.
  • Tina Brown
    Tina Brown Member Posts: 1,036 Member
    Humbled
    It is humbling being an observer in the "chemo clinic" and while you are watching others live their lives it makes us so grateful for our own. Everyone deserves to live so please don't think your need is any the less worth thatn someone else's.

Carlene, there will be quite alot of treatment and medication the doctors can give that young lady who has PPC. It is a crying shame that she thought the surgery had taken it all and it hadn't.

Linda, how sad for a parent to watch their child suffer so. That must be THE worse thing ever.

We just have to make sure we live each and every day to the fullest. I feel that I want to give something back - do some charity work to try and help people who are going through what I've have been through. I may go and volunteer at my local hospice?

Thank-you for sharing these stories they are what this despicable disease does to us.

Tina xx
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • Hissy_Fitz
    Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

I was surprised too, Nancy,
    I was surprised too, Nancy, but I did not express that to her. It might have been her call. She mentioned that her hair, pre-chemo, was down to her hips and a lot of women - particularly very young women - would do almost anything to avoid losing their hair.

My sister-in-law's mother was recently diagnosed with inoperable gastric cancer. She is almost 90 and will be receiving "light chemo" to shrink the tumor. My sister-in-law, in her e mail update to the family, said "it won't make her sick and she won't lose her hair". You would be surprised how many responded with relief, to know that even though Grandma is dying, she won't lose her hair.

What's that song? Oh, yeah....God is good; beer is great, and people are crazy.
  • msfanciful
    msfanciful Member Posts: 559
    Hi Carlene,
    My same

Hi Carlene,

My same sentiments...what else is there to say?

Sharon
  • msfanciful
    msfanciful Member Posts: 559
    Hello Carlene,
    My same

Hello Carlene,

My same sentiments...what else to say? So so sad.

Sharon