Extreme skin sensitivity!!!

hoop77
hoop77 Member Posts: 84
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I can't bear anything to touch my chest after bilateral mastectomy 2 weeks ago. Has anyone else had this problem?

Comments

• carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    no mine is numb. prob a
    no mine is numb. prob a nerve thing. I am sure someone will post. hugs
  • Third_Generation
    Third_Generation Member Posts: 121
    carkris said:

no mine is numb. prob a
    no mine is numb. prob a nerve thing. I am sure someone will post. hugs

Dear Hoop,
    I had horrible

Dear Hoop,
    I had horrible skin pain...couldn't stand anything touching my skin!! I read about self massaging the area even if that hurt... I did that and it finally settled down.. I think if I had started it earlier I would not have hurt so long... I had bilaterals in january and it took almost 2 months... it scared me, thought I would have it forever but all is well now....once in awhile it tries to come back and I just massage a bit and it goes away. I thought it was because I still had fluid buildup in the incision areas but not so sure of that now. I do have a bit of fluid still on my left incision side but nothing is very problematic.
    You can email me if you need a "augghghghghgh skin pain buddy".
    Hang in there,
    Best of luck
    Brenda
  • hoop77

Dear Hoop,
    I had horrible

Dear Hoop,
    I had horrible skin pain...couldn't stand anything touching my skin!! I read about self massaging the area even if that hurt... I did that and it finally settled down.. I think if I had started it earlier I would not have hurt so long... I had bilaterals in january and it took almost 2 months... it scared me, thought I would have it forever but all is well now....once in awhile it tries to come back and I just massage a bit and it goes away. I thought it was because I still had fluid buildup in the incision areas but not so sure of that now. I do have a bit of fluid still on my left incision side but nothing is very problematic.
    You can email me if you need a "augghghghghgh skin pain buddy".
    Hang in there,
    Best of luck
    Brenda

Wow, I can't tell you how
    Wow, I can't tell you how much that helps me! I will try the massage. Thank you so much!!!!

Thank you Brenda!
  • KayNYC
    KayNYC Member Posts: 495 Member
    hoop77 said:

Wow, I can't tell you how
    Wow, I can't tell you how much that helps me! I will try the massage. Thank you so much!!!!

Thank you Brenda!

skin sensitivity
    After lumpectomy I felt numbness,followed by those sticking or cold sensations and finally the sensitivity. Anything that touched my skin was irritating. Yes, it was a "nerve" thing and it ran it's course. Massage and pampering with Lubriderm seemed to help. Just finished my 7th Radiation treatment and starting to get the swelling, similar to what I experienced with the seroma. THis time its my arm and breast. Spoke with the nurse this morning and she recommended a sleeve and lymphedema bra. I see my RAD-Onc on Monday; we will discuss it with him. I have already gone up one band size in bras and they are now snug. I stopped wearing the sports bras and now I am using only the camisoles. I am trying to get used to this braless look and ffeeling for the next few weeks. Working with children all day, I am always bending and picking things up. I feel like I am beating myself up everytime I bend to retrieve toys on the office floor...what's next black and blues?
    The journey ocntinues and yes, this too will pass.
    Hugs,
    K
  • hoop77
    KayNYC said:

skin sensitivity
    After lumpectomy I felt numbness,followed by those sticking or cold sensations and finally the sensitivity. Anything that touched my skin was irritating. Yes, it was a "nerve" thing and it ran it's course. Massage and pampering with Lubriderm seemed to help. Just finished my 7th Radiation treatment and starting to get the swelling, similar to what I experienced with the seroma. THis time its my arm and breast. Spoke with the nurse this morning and she recommended a sleeve and lymphedema bra. I see my RAD-Onc on Monday; we will discuss it with him. I have already gone up one band size in bras and they are now snug. I stopped wearing the sports bras and now I am using only the camisoles. I am trying to get used to this braless look and ffeeling for the next few weeks. Working with children all day, I am always bending and picking things up. I feel like I am beating myself up everytime I bend to retrieve toys on the office floor...what's next black and blues?
    The journey ocntinues and yes, this too will pass.
    Hugs,
    K

Thanks Kay,
    Wow, this is a

Thanks Kay,
    Wow, this is a wonderful website!! I am just so relieved to know that others have felt this pain too and that one day I can comfortably wear clothes again. I was all prepared for numbness so didn't expect this intense feeling. I did try a hot bath last night and massage and ended up rubbing off alot of dead skin. Pretty gross but maybe it will help. After reading so much on this site I feel so fortunate that my cancer was detected so early and don't have to face chemo and probably no radiation, will find out next week. I think I may try a sports bra, have already started reconstruction with expanders but have only had one fill so maybe that will provide some relief. When did you have your surgery?

Hugs to you,
    L
  • BarbaraWie
    BarbaraWie Member Posts: 1
    hoop77 said:

Thanks Kay,
    Wow, this is a

Thanks Kay,
    Wow, this is a wonderful website!! I am just so relieved to know that others have felt this pain too and that one day I can comfortably wear clothes again. I was all prepared for numbness so didn't expect this intense feeling. I did try a hot bath last night and massage and ended up rubbing off alot of dead skin. Pretty gross but maybe it will help. After reading so much on this site I feel so fortunate that my cancer was detected so early and don't have to face chemo and probably no radiation, will find out next week. I think I may try a sports bra, have already started reconstruction with expanders but have only had one fill so maybe that will provide some relief. When did you have your surgery?

Hugs to you,
    L

Mastectomy
    Thanks to everyone. Your comments and experiences are extremely helpful. I had my mastectomy in February, and just got my "real" prosthesis this week. It's MUCH better than the polyester pad I wore before. This is my first time on the website, but it won't be my last. Thanks again.
    Barbara