I'm done with my chemo the end of June...

Options
HollyID
HollyID Member Posts: 946 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
to those of you guys who are finished with chemo, did you guys give a gift to your onc nurses? If you did, what did you give? I'd really like to show them that they have been fabulous to work with and that they'll always be remembered. :)

Comments

• Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    Options
    The Gift that Keeps on Giving...
    Mine ended abruptly at my old center, so I never got the opportunity. Whenever I was seeing my onc, I would drop by Infusion and hug the nurses and joke with a couple of them that I new. That was always fun to do. I do miss a couple of 'em that I did have a relationship with though. I wonder if they are still there.

I think that's a great idea for you to do something for them. I'd have to think about what would be a good gift.

I know they like to eat - so something along that line would be appreciated and used.

You've got a big heart, Holly:)

-Craig
  • thready
    thready Member Posts: 474
    Options
    Gift to nurse
    Holly,
    I only had one nurse and yes we did get him a gift because he was always there for us. What he also liked was what he calls "baked goods" e.g. cookies, pumpkin bread-stuff like that. Really they just want to know that they have been helpful and any token is appreciated but my nurse said it was not necessary (yet he was very thankful-I don't think they know what they mean to us!)

I had a unit manager tell me that the best thing to send to the nurses is things like cookie trays or fruit baskets, this might work if you had several nurses.

Congratulations on finishing chemo-it is such a good feeling and each day gets better and better.
    Jan
  • maglets
    maglets Member Posts: 2,576 Member
    Options
    thready said:

Gift to nurse
    Holly,
    I only had one nurse and yes we did get him a gift because he was always there for us. What he also liked was what he calls "baked goods" e.g. cookies, pumpkin bread-stuff like that. Really they just want to know that they have been helpful and any token is appreciated but my nurse said it was not necessary (yet he was very thankful-I don't think they know what they mean to us!)

I had a unit manager tell me that the best thing to send to the nurses is things like cookie trays or fruit baskets, this might work if you had several nurses.

Congratulations on finishing chemo-it is such a good feeling and each day gets better and better.
    Jan

gift
    chocolates and fruit

congrats Holly...

mags
  • geotina
    geotina Member Posts: 2,111 Member
    Options
    Gift
    Any kind of gift card in any amount to a local restaurant I'm sure they would appreciate. To go out to eat after a long day at work and have part or most of the tab paid, yummy.

Tina
  • khl8
    khl8 Member Posts: 807
    Options
    geotina said:

Gift
    Any kind of gift card in any amount to a local restaurant I'm sure they would appreciate. To go out to eat after a long day at work and have part or most of the tab paid, yummy.

Tina

Most hospitals have rules
    Most hospitals have rules about receivng anything monetary. I used to be emplyed by a hospital and we were not allowed to accept gifts, However, food we could accept, cookies, pizza, stuff like that. Things that can be shared. There is a perception of "buying off" a nurse it you give and they accept money or gifts. It can be looked at by an outsider as "of they got better treatment becasue they bribed someone.
    Sad, I know. Our chemo nurses are angels from heaven and we want to show them just howmuch they mean to us.

Kathy
  • dianetavegia
    dianetavegia Member Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Every intention....
    I had 2 'regular' and 2 fill in nurses and two lab techs plus a Physician's assistant. I'd PLANNED on baking something for them but my last few treatments left me wiped out and I just forgot. I never saw any bell ringing, certificate giving or gift giving during my 6 months.
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Options
    Candles
    Yes I gave all of them candles, including the front desk receptionist and all nurses. Think I gave 11 of them away. I wrote a note on each one of them and then signed it with "hugs." They were always so nice to me. I did the same thing for the radiation nurses when I was through with them. That is thoughtful of you to think about getting them something.

Kim
  • AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member
    Options
    Holly,I am so glad you are
    Holly,

I am so glad you are almost done chemo! My sister-in-law who is a chemo nurse, said one of the best gifts is a fruit basket - they can share + even take a piece of fruit home if they want + it will last several days.
  • coloCan
    coloCan Member Posts: 1,944 Member
    Options

Candles
    Yes I gave all of them candles, including the front desk receptionist and all nurses. Think I gave 11 of them away. I wrote a note on each one of them and then signed it with "hugs." They were always so nice to me. I did the same thing for the radiation nurses when I was through with them. That is thoughtful of you to think about getting them something.

Kim

I just bought a very simple "Thank You" card,
    one for those in the Chemoroom and one for the Radiation Unit. All I wrote was:

"Thanks for keeping me alive."

and signed it steve and Maryann (my sole caregiver/girlfriend)
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    gifts for onc nurses
    I didn't give a gift at end of chemo, but I have gifted them yummy baked items at Christmas. I have them sent to the entire office so everyone can enjoy and I don't have to make them! There are wonderful professional bakery companies out there that not only make wonderful gifts, but they can package them up very festively!
    mary
  • HollyID
    Options
    msccolon said:

gifts for onc nurses
    I didn't give a gift at end of chemo, but I have gifted them yummy baked items at Christmas. I have them sent to the entire office so everyone can enjoy and I don't have to make them! There are wonderful professional bakery companies out there that not only make wonderful gifts, but they can package them up very festively!
    mary

You're all wonderful!!
    Thanks for the suggestions. I asked some nurses that I work with and they suggested a local cupcake company that makes just bite sized cupcakes. I've had their cupcakes and they are very yummy!!

I don't know how many people work in that office, but there are a few. I don't mind buying a few dozen. And we all know just how fattening cupcakes are, so, bite size is just right. :)
  • Eltina21
    Eltina21 Member Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Your story
    Dear Holly,
    I read your story. We could almost be twins in our backgrounds only youu are getting ready to finish your chemotherapy and I am getting ready to begin mine. I am very happy for you, you give me hope. I keep telling my family, friends and co-workers that "GOD is not through with me yet." Thank you.
    Peace and Blessings,
    Karen
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    Options
    Eltina21 said:

Your story
    Dear Holly,
    I read your story. We could almost be twins in our backgrounds only youu are getting ready to finish your chemotherapy and I am getting ready to begin mine. I am very happy for you, you give me hope. I keep telling my family, friends and co-workers that "GOD is not through with me yet." Thank you.
    Peace and Blessings,
    Karen

Holly...........
    Seeing that beautiful smile would be thanks enough for me....anyway, on my last day I walked out into the nurses quarters and with tears in my eyes I told them what each and everyone of them meant to me and my family. I told them that they were doing a job that for the most part was not very pleasant but personally I thought that they could not have been hand picked better for what they do for people. I told them that I had a special place in my heart for each one of them and that I would always remember the kind, considerate, and caring people that helped save my life...and I meant every word of it.....Love to you and yours, Clift
  • HollyID
    Options
    Eltina21 said:

Your story
    Dear Holly,
    Peace and Blessings,
    Karen

Karen,
    Keep your chin up and keep on smiling.

Chemo for me is not bad. I know it's doing it's job of annihilating every single little bugger that is hiding. I'd love to read your story. :)

Love and Hugs,
    Holly
  • Eltina21
    Options
    HollyID said:

Karen,
    Keep your chin up and keep on smiling.

Chemo for me is not bad. I know it's doing it's job of annihilating every single little bugger that is hiding. I'd love to read your story. :)

Love and Hugs,
    Holly

My reality
    Colon Cancer took the life of my mother in 1994, her sister in 1996 and her brother in 2004. My mother was diagnosed on July 28, 1994 and passed away, August 13, 1994. My mom was born in 1921 and for some reason she was afraid of doctors. By the time she went to the doctors, she could no longer eat. The cancer had spread everywhere. I changed my diet by giving up red meat, dairy products and excess sugars. Exercised more and in 02/2010, I learned that I could not escape my gene pool. I was diagnosed with colorectal cancer. I had a colon resection on March 24th, 2010 and was back at work on April 12th, 2010. I was diagnosed with stage III colon cancer for they found cancer in one of my lymph nodes. A port was put in on May 5th, 2010 and I begin chemotherapy on May 18th 2010. I don't know how the chemotherapy will affect me, but I am praying for the best, for I am still working. My children are not handling things to well for they were 8 and 12 when my mother passed away. They were able to see her on the last day of her life, with the tubes running everywhere and the machines going off and the look on her face. They are now 29 and 25 and I tell them that I am not in any pain and I am still working, driving and enjoying life, especially my two grandsons. Being a divorced parent, I am the matriach. I am an only child, but I have 23 first cousins. My in laws are very kind. They said that I divorced my husband and not them. My sister in law Denise, is my rock. My close friends, I have know for 40 years or more. They came to the hospital and continue to laugh with me. A couple will be going to chemotherapy with me. My job is fantastic. (I am a disability examiner for Social Security) They are working with me and said if I get to the point that I am nauseated, and have to take off for a day or so, I can just take off and return to work. I was truly inspired by your story. Thanks again and congratulations.

Peace and Blessings,
    Karen
  • HollyID
    Options
    Eltina21 said:

My reality
    Colon Cancer took the life of my mother in 1994, her sister in 1996 and her brother in 2004. My mother was diagnosed on July 28, 1994 and passed away, August 13, 1994. My mom was born in 1921 and for some reason she was afraid of doctors. By the time she went to the doctors, she could no longer eat. The cancer had spread everywhere. I changed my diet by giving up red meat, dairy products and excess sugars. Exercised more and in 02/2010, I learned that I could not escape my gene pool. I was diagnosed with colorectal cancer. I had a colon resection on March 24th, 2010 and was back at work on April 12th, 2010. I was diagnosed with stage III colon cancer for they found cancer in one of my lymph nodes. A port was put in on May 5th, 2010 and I begin chemotherapy on May 18th 2010. I don't know how the chemotherapy will affect me, but I am praying for the best, for I am still working. My children are not handling things to well for they were 8 and 12 when my mother passed away. They were able to see her on the last day of her life, with the tubes running everywhere and the machines going off and the look on her face. They are now 29 and 25 and I tell them that I am not in any pain and I am still working, driving and enjoying life, especially my two grandsons. Being a divorced parent, I am the matriach. I am an only child, but I have 23 first cousins. My in laws are very kind. They said that I divorced my husband and not them. My sister in law Denise, is my rock. My close friends, I have know for 40 years or more. They came to the hospital and continue to laugh with me. A couple will be going to chemotherapy with me. My job is fantastic. (I am a disability examiner for Social Security) They are working with me and said if I get to the point that I am nauseated, and have to take off for a day or so, I can just take off and return to work. I was truly inspired by your story. Thanks again and congratulations.

Peace and Blessings,
    Karen

Karen, I love your story....
    Our stories really do mirror each other, don't they? Thank you so much for sharing. Losing a parent was my worst nightmare. I'm never ready to say goodbye.

I think everyone is afraid of doctors. I'm not anymore. I work with them and they don't scare me nearly as much as they think they do. I'm kind of a rebel that way. LOL In my reality, it's not so bad. I'm very grateful to be a stage III instead of a stage IV. The voice inside my head just wouldn't give up telling me to get screened. I'm not sure, but there are times I feel it's my dad. It's truly weird how I still hear that voice is now telling me the cancer is gone. Sometimes I just have to look up and say, "Is that you, dad?"

My kids are the same ages yours are. I have a 29 year old, a 25 year old and a 20 year old. I don't have grandchildren yet, but I do believe that I'll see them at their weddings. I have no idea what I'd do without my husband. He doesn't talk much about my illness, but he did remark once that this was just as tough on him because he's scared that someday, he's going to lose me to this monster. He doesn't get on here, he doesn't participate in my forums because it's just too close to home for him. He prefers to not attend chemo with me which is fine. Who wants to sit there for three hours and watch me sleep, read or whatever. BORING!! My oldest daughter came with me last time because she was moving to Washington state. She's such a joy. I'm going to miss her terribly. Luckily, she still has a phone. LOL

I also have a fantastic boss. Being a nurse and it seems it's always so short staffed on the night shift, told me to call in sick anytime. It didn't matter what was going on, they'll make do. I think I've taken advantage of that twice. Not too bad, really. Other nurses usually trade with me so I can stay home after disconnect day and for two days after so I can recover. Mostly I just sleep. No nausea, no real problems... just fatigue.

My chemotherapy consisted of FOLFOX4. That includes the oxaliplatin that I became allergic to on chemo #7. I was 20 minutes into it that it started to turn against me. My oncologist was VERY hesitant to agree to let me continue it, so I didn't. I wear my 5-FU pump for a couple of days and go back each day for the leucovorin.

They're great drugs by themselves. The oxaliplatin gave it a little boost, but I do have to agree with him that when your body says enough, it's enough. I've also heard that the oxaliplatin is just as effective with 5 to 8 doses as it is with all 12 doses. I personally called it "Satan in a bag". Pretty extreme name, but really not that bad.

They also fill my full of steroids and anti-nausea drugs. The anti-nausea drugs constipate you, so just be aware of that. The steroids keep you up all night and give you heartburn, so I take ativan and famotidine.

Your onc should be prescribing you some ativan, something for nausea and some Emla cream to numb your port so you don't feel the poke. It's kind of mind-whirling your first time, but I think you'll do fine.

I also take a probiotic to help with the bowels. It just keeps things moving just right.

I wish you all the luck in the world and if you don't mind, I'll be saying a little prayer that you're gonna do fine, which I believe you will. I'd love a follow-up to see how things went. You're an inspiration with your attitude! That's the brunt of the battle. :)

Love and hugs

Holly
  • Eltina21
    Options
    HollyID said:

Our stories really do mirror each other, don't they? Thank you so much for sharing. Losing a parent was my worst nightmare. I'm never ready to say goodbye.

I think everyone is afraid of doctors. I'm not anymore. I work with them and they don't scare me nearly as much as they think they do. I'm kind of a rebel that way. LOL In my reality, it's not so bad. I'm very grateful to be a stage III instead of a stage IV. The voice inside my head just wouldn't give up telling me to get screened. I'm not sure, but there are times I feel it's my dad. It's truly weird how I still hear that voice is now telling me the cancer is gone. Sometimes I just have to look up and say, "Is that you, dad?"

My kids are the same ages yours are. I have a 29 year old, a 25 year old and a 20 year old. I don't have grandchildren yet, but I do believe that I'll see them at their weddings. I have no idea what I'd do without my husband. He doesn't talk much about my illness, but he did remark once that this was just as tough on him because he's scared that someday, he's going to lose me to this monster. He doesn't get on here, he doesn't participate in my forums because it's just too close to home for him. He prefers to not attend chemo with me which is fine. Who wants to sit there for three hours and watch me sleep, read or whatever. BORING!! My oldest daughter came with me last time because she was moving to Washington state. She's such a joy. I'm going to miss her terribly. Luckily, she still has a phone. LOL

I also have a fantastic boss. Being a nurse and it seems it's always so short staffed on the night shift, told me to call in sick anytime. It didn't matter what was going on, they'll make do. I think I've taken advantage of that twice. Not too bad, really. Other nurses usually trade with me so I can stay home after disconnect day and for two days after so I can recover. Mostly I just sleep. No nausea, no real problems... just fatigue.

My chemotherapy consisted of FOLFOX4. That includes the oxaliplatin that I became allergic to on chemo #7. I was 20 minutes into it that it started to turn against me. My oncologist was VERY hesitant to agree to let me continue it, so I didn't. I wear my 5-FU pump for a couple of days and go back each day for the leucovorin.

They're great drugs by themselves. The oxaliplatin gave it a little boost, but I do have to agree with him that when your body says enough, it's enough. I've also heard that the oxaliplatin is just as effective with 5 to 8 doses as it is with all 12 doses. I personally called it "Satan in a bag". Pretty extreme name, but really not that bad.

They also fill my full of steroids and anti-nausea drugs. The anti-nausea drugs constipate you, so just be aware of that. The steroids keep you up all night and give you heartburn, so I take ativan and famotidine.

Your onc should be prescribing you some ativan, something for nausea and some Emla cream to numb your port so you don't feel the poke. It's kind of mind-whirling your first time, but I think you'll do fine.

I also take a probiotic to help with the bowels. It just keeps things moving just right.

I wish you all the luck in the world and if you don't mind, I'll be saying a little prayer that you're gonna do fine, which I believe you will. I'd love a follow-up to see how things went. You're an inspiration with your attitude! That's the brunt of the battle. :)

Love and hugs

Holly

A Blessing
    Dear Holly,
    You are a true angel and I feel blessed for everyone on this site. I would like to keep in touch for I may have a few questions. You are a nurse and I have been a disability examiner for the last 30 years, so we are not in total darkenss, when the doctor is explaining things to us. I keep a book so that I may ask questions. I am definitely going to ask about the Elma cream and anti-nausea medication. I will write again after my first treatment tomorrow.

Peace and Blessings,
    Karen
  • Eltina21
    Options
    HollyID said:

Love and hugs

Holly

Medications
    Hi Holly,
    I went for my first session yesterday. I had 3 bags of medication in the hospital and then
    I am receiving medication from a unit around my waist. My medications are Oxaliplatin and Florouracil. I returned to work today. The only side effects so far are everything that I eat taste like tin, touching cold things and drinking anything cold is out. I drink water room temperature or warm. I am trying to eat more for I had lost 14 pounds between my surgeries and beginning chemotherapy. I 'll let you know how I feel after my disconnect tomorrow. Do symptoms increase with the number of sessions that you have? I will be going for treatment every two weeks. Thanks for the advice.
    Peace and Blessings,
    Karen
  • HollyID
    Options
    Eltina21 said:

Medications
    Hi Holly,
    I went for my first session yesterday. I had 3 bags of medication in the hospital and then
    I am receiving medication from a unit around my waist. My medications are Oxaliplatin and Florouracil. I returned to work today. The only side effects so far are everything that I eat taste like tin, touching cold things and drinking anything cold is out. I drink water room temperature or warm. I am trying to eat more for I had lost 14 pounds between my surgeries and beginning chemotherapy. I 'll let you know how I feel after my disconnect tomorrow. Do symptoms increase with the number of sessions that you have? I will be going for treatment every two weeks. Thanks for the advice.
    Peace and Blessings,
    Karen

Karen, welcome to the chemo club...
    First session, that I can remember was horrible for me. It took a few sessions to figure out what meds to take that would counteract what I would feel at disconnect time. I'm sure one of the medications in a bag today was dexamethazone. It helps you tolerate the meds better. They probably gave you some sort of anti-emetic. One I take is Aloxi. I get it when I'm disconnected. I think the other is called Atarax. The dexamethazone will help with nausea as well. The other med is probably called leucovorin. It pairs really well with the 5-FU which is what you wear in your fanny pack for the three days. Since the 5-FU has such a short half-life (14 minutes is the half-life, so every minute, it becomes weaker and weaker) it's necessary that you wear it constantly for the three days. I'm sure they give you a 5-FU IV push before giving you the fanny pack and even the next day. They do where I go. The leucovorin is given to me twice over the three days I'm there. I ABSOLUTELY love disconnect days!!

Ativan helps at night. It helps prevent nausea, but also induces sleep. Be careful though, it's addictive, but don't let that prevent you from taking it. You're gonna need it after your dexamethazone because it will keep you up all night. Take famotadine for heartburn that your dex will give you as well. I take a laxative about my second night because the anti nausea meds will constipate you.

I hated oxaliplatin (oxi). Simply HATED it. I called it "satan in a bag" for all my treatments. I hated having to wear gloves to get something out of the fridge. drinking either hot or warm liquids, (which I found ironic because all the juice at the onc's office is refrigerated.) Feeling the pins and needles in my hands and feet. It all sucked. It went away after about 3-4 days, but I hated it in the meantime.

My symptoms never increased nor did they decrease until I had an allergic reaction to the oxaliplatin on my seventh treatment. Now I have no symptoms and using the 5-FU and the leucovorin is doing the whole job. LOL

I still use the ativan on first, second and third nights. When I'm disconnected, I don't have nausea or anything like that, just fatigue. I still can't sleep at night without the ativan though. I sleep for about 2 days and then I feel back to normal with tiredness leaking in at times. I still take my famotidine, but usually every day. I still need a laxative at times. I've noticed though that since my oxi was taken away, I'm more prone to diarrhea. LOL I love my new normal. I take a probiotic every day as well as vitamin D3, and magnesium and calcium (which is part of leucovorin) which they say helps with the effects of the oxi.

I wish you tolerate your chemo as well as I have. I've never been hospitalized for anything except my primary surgery. I tolerate these chemo meds very, very well.

I wish you nothing but good health and happiness...

Love and Hugs,

Holly