Anyone on Effexor for Hot Flashes?

cindycflynn
cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I'm going to my follow up appointment with my doctor today and wanted to at least discuss the possibility of taking Effexor for my hot flashes.

I've been taking vitamin E, which has helped some, but I'm still really having trouble sleeping at night. I generally try to take care of symptoms using more natural routes and avoiding medication, but if it's needed, it's needed.

In researching Effexor, it looks like there can be some not-so-nice side effects, including tiredness (that I don't need more of) and some pretty bad withdrawals once you try to stop or reduce the dosage.

Any input from you wonderful people would be appreciated!

Comments

• Sher43009
    Sher43009 Member Posts: 602 Member
    Hi Cindy--I've been on
    Hi Cindy--I've been on effexor since 4/21 and it does help with the hot flashes. If you start on a low dose getting off it shouldn't be hard. I'm on 37.5mg tablet per day. I don't get the mood swings since I've been off chemo so I don't notice a change in my disposition. I did notice it put me in a fog when taken in the morning. I now take it after dinner and before bed. I'm still not sleeping at night (I think it's from the Tamoxifen) so on 5/12 I was put on sleeping pills. I can only take them on the weekends because I'm useless the next day. A friend of mine just emailed me with these suggestions to sleep--Cherry Juice 4oz.; Oatmeal and Banana small amount; Plain yogurt with nuts; Red pepper (I don't know if she means red bell pepper or the spice red pepper); Sleepytime tea. I just went to the store to get these--I hope they work.

Let me know how you make out on it.
    Sher
  • il2read2
    il2read2 Member Posts: 29
    Sher43009 said:

Hi Cindy--I've been on
    Hi Cindy--I've been on effexor since 4/21 and it does help with the hot flashes. If you start on a low dose getting off it shouldn't be hard. I'm on 37.5mg tablet per day. I don't get the mood swings since I've been off chemo so I don't notice a change in my disposition. I did notice it put me in a fog when taken in the morning. I now take it after dinner and before bed. I'm still not sleeping at night (I think it's from the Tamoxifen) so on 5/12 I was put on sleeping pills. I can only take them on the weekends because I'm useless the next day. A friend of mine just emailed me with these suggestions to sleep--Cherry Juice 4oz.; Oatmeal and Banana small amount; Plain yogurt with nuts; Red pepper (I don't know if she means red bell pepper or the spice red pepper); Sleepytime tea. I just went to the store to get these--I hope they work.

Let me know how you make out on it.
    Sher

I've been on it since 10/09,
    I've been on it since 10/09, so about 7 months. I love it. I can control crying, I don't cry at the drop of a hat. It has helped hot-flashes and moodiness.

But, as everyone is aware, we are all different and affected differently.

Jan
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    FYI
    I had many menopausal side effects: flashes, headaches, irritability, insomnia, etc. My physician prescribed bellergal s and boy did that help me. I took it for about 1-2 yrs and then weaned myself off. It is not available by that name anymore, but I undrestand that a compounding pharmacy can still make it for you.
  • Balentine
    Balentine Member Posts: 393

FYI
    I had many menopausal side effects: flashes, headaches, irritability, insomnia, etc. My physician prescribed bellergal s and boy did that help me. I took it for about 1-2 yrs and then weaned myself off. It is not available by that name anymore, but I undrestand that a compounding pharmacy can still make it for you.

Tried effexor and neurontin
    I tried both and it seemed to help some but still having hot flashes. The first night I took the neurontin I also took some bendryl and slept like a baby. The next night I just took the neurontin and still had some hot flashes at night but not as bad. I am planning on just taking the bendryl tonight and see what happens. I saw someone on the network said that zyrtec works for hot flashes too. If the benedryl does not work then I guess I will try that next. These hot flashes are really irritating....can't sleep at night...constantly waking up throwing off and on covers. My onc said the hot flashes should only last 3 months but some on this network say they have had them for years. Not very encouraging.
    Lorrie Balentine
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    HI Cindy!
    I was on Effexor for the hot flashes, and yes, it works very well. I only decided to use them, like you, because I couldn't sleep, and we really, really, really need our sleep.
    They do start you off on a low dosage, but will up it quickly because it works better that way.
    When I went in for my first reconstruction, they told me to stop taking them for two weeks because of the healing process (I had the free flap). I chose not to go back on them when they said I could because I figured the hot flashes might be better now. I had no noticeable side effects from going off the drug, and had been taking it for about 9 months. And also had no noticeable side effects from taking the drug. We all react differently, but anything to help you sleep might be a good thing.
    Hope all goes well for you
    Cat