I was asked when I plan to retire!!

lizzie17
lizzie17 Member Posts: 548
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Maybe it was just a bad day, maybe I looked unusually tired today. They all know about the BC and bilateral, but no one ever talks about it. But today, a boss directly asked me when I plan to retire. You know, it is too early for me to retire, my evaluation was perfect, and I feel like I do a good job. Maybe it was a kind question, but it made me feel like they want to "put me out to pasture". That I am no longer adequate. There are so many ups and downs with this journey.

Comments

• TawnyS
    TawnyS Member Posts: 144 Member
    Don't let it get you down!
    My gosh....what in the world!?! How insensitive! I have a few questions in my mind I'd like to fire off to that boss of yours! Just keep your head up and stay strong and splurge on something you really love. That will make it feel a little better. When is boss's day? If you need any suggestions for gifts I'm sure you can find plenty here! Stay strong survivor sister! Hugs! Tawny
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    If I worked and someone
    If I worked and someone asked me that I'd just say, "No plans to retire at this time." and let it drop. But I'd keep my eyes open. Too many have posted that they got laid off after BC so I'd keep good records (evaluations and such) so if you need it, you've got it.
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    Lizzie
    I'm sorry to hear about your totally insensitive boss.

It may be that he's just trying to be kind, but I would suggest you protect yourself as much as you can to be on the safe side.

- Make a note now of the date and the comment that he made.

- Make notes of any other comments you feel may be related to age or his wanting you to "retire".

If you later find yourself laid off, you could use that information as evidence that he had an age bias if you should decide to pursue an age discrimination claim.

In the meantime, just ignore his comment and chalk it up to his being just another insensitive cad. You are only as young as you feel.

Hugs,
    Cindy
  • greyhoundluvr
    greyhoundluvr Member Posts: 402
    Lizzie
    I know what you mean - I work for a very large company and I didn't even tell them what was wrong with me until after surgery when I found out I was going to have to have chemo. My company is in a "centralization" mode and I was really worried that this would give them a good excuse to centralize my department (which would lay off about 80% of my unit). So far, it has all worked out OK but that is subject to change any minute. And my disability nurse actually encouraged me to stay out on disability but I didn't want to use up all of my FMLA protected leave. I agree with what the others have said - I would hope that maybe they were worried about losing you but I would also cover yourself just in case their motives weren't quite as altruistic. Good luck!

Chris