Cleaning for a reason

GrandmaJ
GrandmaJ Member Posts: 209
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Had my last free housecleaning from the Cleaning for a Reason program. This was a wonderful thing for these companies to do and I really appreciated not having to worry about cleaning the house when I didn't feel well. I will surely miss this luxury.

Judy

Comments

• Cindy Ann
    Cindy Ann Member Posts: 101
    Cleaning companies
    How did you get in touch and find out about this type of home help? Through a social worker, ACS, or your doctors?? I have been given a social worker but felt she mainly was concerned with my mental well being. Which is normal thank you very much.ha! ha! I have a huge house and am exhausted already and have not even hit the table yet. Also what about nutritional supplements etc.. where do go?Fell helpless here. Never been here before. I realize I must find a medical oncologist. My surgeon is no help and handed me a book with facts etc.. But no other help and support.. Any info would be appreciated.. My husband works very long hours and I just do not want to be a burden. He of course says I could never be a burden. But if I am this tired and feel ill already how do I get through the next step??The initial diagnosis took my wind away. Then bronchitis etc..

Blessings,
    Cindy Ann
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    Wish I knew too!
    Wow what a great program! I never knew this even existed.
    Please tell us how you found them.
    Thanks,
    Wanda
  • GrandmaJ
    GrandmaJ Member Posts: 209
    Cleaning for a Reason
    This program was offered back in I think Oct or Nov. from the American Cancer Society. I know they had such a huge response, that they were having trouble finding enough cleaning companies to do this. The companies do not get anything for donating their time and work. I gave them a sizeable tip to make sure it paid for their gas and some of their time, but of course it was nowhere near what they usually get for such a task.

The only requirement was that you had to get a note from your physician on his letterhead stating that you were currently under treatment for cancer...any kind of cancer... I then faxed it to the appropriate people and within a month, I got my first cleaning. We got a total of four cleanings.

Good luck and I hope the ACS is still doing this.

Judy
  • Barb A
    Barb A Member Posts: 123
    website
    The website for this is cleaningforareason.org
  • Christine Louise
    Christine Louise Member Posts: 426 Member
    Great if it works out, but it doesn't always
    Be aware that they take only 50 applications a day, starting at noon. It took me four tries to get registered. Several weeks later, they informed me that they didn't have anyone in my zip code who could come. (I live in a major metropolitan area.) They advised me to reapply in a couple months. I think this is great when it works out, though.
  • Christine Louise
    Christine Louise Member Posts: 426 Member
    Cindy Ann said:

Cleaning companies
    How did you get in touch and find out about this type of home help? Through a social worker, ACS, or your doctors?? I have been given a social worker but felt she mainly was concerned with my mental well being. Which is normal thank you very much.ha! ha! I have a huge house and am exhausted already and have not even hit the table yet. Also what about nutritional supplements etc.. where do go?Fell helpless here. Never been here before. I realize I must find a medical oncologist. My surgeon is no help and handed me a book with facts etc.. But no other help and support.. Any info would be appreciated.. My husband works very long hours and I just do not want to be a burden. He of course says I could never be a burden. But if I am this tired and feel ill already how do I get through the next step??The initial diagnosis took my wind away. Then bronchitis etc..

Blessings,
    Cindy Ann

Yes, an oncologist would be so helpful
    Surely your surgeon can refer you to an onc. They and their support people are so helpful with the nuts and bolts of handling cancer. Best wishes to you, Cindy Ann!
  • heidijez
    heidijez Member Posts: 441
    just had my second cleaning
    just had my second cleaning yesterday! i couldn't believe it when i finally got through after five weeks of trying! and the amazing thing is that they had someone willing to come to where i live - a rural area halfway between chicago and milwaukee! a friend of mine forwarded this to me:

If you know any woman currently undergoing Chemo, please pass the word to her that there is a cleaning service that provides FREE housecleaning - 1 time per month for 4 months while she is in treatment. All she has to do is sign up and have her doctor fax a note confirming the treatment. Cleaning for a Reason will have a participating maid service in her zip code area arrange for the service.

http://www.cleaningforareason.org/
    Please pass this information on to bless a woman going through Cancer treatment. This organization serves the entire USA and currently has 547 partners to help these women. It's our job to pass the word and let them know that there are people out there that care. Be a blessing to someone and pass this information along.

i figure it's worth a try ; )
  • Sher43009
    Sher43009 Member Posts: 602 Member
    heidijez said:

just had my second cleaning
    just had my second cleaning yesterday! i couldn't believe it when i finally got through after five weeks of trying! and the amazing thing is that they had someone willing to come to where i live - a rural area halfway between chicago and milwaukee! a friend of mine forwarded this to me:

If you know any woman currently undergoing Chemo, please pass the word to her that there is a cleaning service that provides FREE housecleaning - 1 time per month for 4 months while she is in treatment. All she has to do is sign up and have her doctor fax a note confirming the treatment. Cleaning for a Reason will have a participating maid service in her zip code area arrange for the service.

http://www.cleaningforareason.org/
    Please pass this information on to bless a woman going through Cancer treatment. This organization serves the entire USA and currently has 547 partners to help these women. It's our job to pass the word and let them know that there are people out there that care. Be a blessing to someone and pass this information along.

i figure it's worth a try ; )

Bumping up
    Hi

Bumping this up for newbies and response to MamaG.

Sher