Rads question...

SunnieC
SunnieC Member Posts: 37
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I keep hearing different numbers of rads treatments. After my lumpectomy I was told that the breast tissue and 12 lymph nodes were clear of cancer. Should I talk to my rad onc about doing less than the 32 visits he recommended before my surgery? Why are there differences?

Thanks for your input...

Health and happieness to all.
Sunnie

Comments

• Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    1 year later that was just started by DeWill. It might be a big help to you.
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    I had a
    lumpectomy and then partial mastectomy with clean lymph nodes and my rads oncologist reccommended 32 treatments so I did. Everyone is different though so if you question it,you should ask your oncologist why.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

I had a
    lumpectomy and then partial mastectomy with clean lymph nodes and my rads oncologist reccommended 32 treatments so I did. Everyone is different though so if you question it,you should ask your oncologist why.

I think there are standard
    I think there are standard protocols and that number seems about average.
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Sunnie, that sounds normal
    Sunnie, that sounds normal to me. I also had a lumpectomy with a microscopic cell in the sentinel node. I received 25 regular and 9 boosters as my radiation treatment. If you are not comfortable with your suggested treatment, talk to the rads onc until you are. Good luck!
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Hi, Sunnie -
    I strongly believe in understanding everything about my treatment as much as possible, and in asking my doctors to explain *why* they're recommending a particular treatment, so definitely ask your radiation oncologist to explain to you why he's recommending a certain number.

It's important to remember that the radiation equipment itself differs, and different doctors use different protocols on different equipment. On this board, I've heard of women having anywhere from 28 to 33 treatments, so your doctor's recommendation sounds right in line with that.

In my case, I had lumpectomies with clear margins and clear lymph nodes, and had 28 radiation treatments with 5 boosters, so 33 total.

Hope that helps,

Traci
  • aisling8
    aisling8 Member Posts: 1,627 Member
    TraciInLA said:

Hi, Sunnie -
    I strongly believe in understanding everything about my treatment as much as possible, and in asking my doctors to explain *why* they're recommending a particular treatment, so definitely ask your radiation oncologist to explain to you why he's recommending a certain number.

It's important to remember that the radiation equipment itself differs, and different doctors use different protocols on different equipment. On this board, I've heard of women having anywhere from 28 to 33 treatments, so your doctor's recommendation sounds right in line with that.

In my case, I had lumpectomies with clear margins and clear lymph nodes, and had 28 radiation treatments with 5 boosters, so 33 total.

Hope that helps,

Traci

28 regulars and 7 boosters -- finishing next Wednesday -- yahoo.

Victoria
  • KayNYC
    KayNYC Member Posts: 495 Member
    radiation treatment schedules
    Dear SunnieC,
    I had lumpectomy, sentinal node and removal of 6 nodes with no node involvment, clear margins and 3mm sized mass. I was offered the standard treatment of approximately six weeks of radiation or the more intense 21 day schedule with boosters. I believe that the shorter, more intense course of treatment is done more often in Canada, some Brazil and Europe. This shorter course of treatment has become standard practice in several countries. Several Cancer centers here in NYC have been offering it for more than 10 years. I checked the research and the results appear about the same as the longer course in regard to prognosis and side effects.Speak to your Oncologist about it. Differences in machines, your doctor's clinical judgement and the facility's protocols will also influence what choices are available in regard radiation treatments.
    Hang in there. All the best.
    KayNYC