Radiation problem

hopeful in tally
hopeful in tally Member Posts: 56
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I would really appreciate hearing from anyone that may have had a similar experience ...just finished treatment #11 today and met with Radiation Doctor. I was concerned about my swollen reddening breast. He examined me and said that he has seen this on few other large breasted women. My breast tissue is reacting to radiation and he wants me to take the rest of the week off (from radiation) and is treating me with antibiotics. Others who have experienced this have completed their radiation treatment but pretty consistently have had much sensitivity in their breast. He is sending me to surgeon tomorrow to get another opinion. I have been using cream twice a day ... using Ivory soap and aluminum free deoderant. I don't know of any other reason this would be happening and I am obviously concerned. PLEASE ...if anyone can shed some light on this dilemma ... I would be very grateful. My thoughts and prayers are with all my sisters on this website.

Comments

• aisling8
    aisling8 Member Posts: 1,627 Member
    Hey Hopeful
    I'm almost done with rads and haven't had a problem -- except one day their machine broke and we all had to skip a day -- so I can't give you insight or share a similar experience, but I CAN tell you I, too, would be freaked out and concerned about what's going on.

This is just a note sending positive energy and good thoughts and I hope things are resolved quickly for you.

Victoria
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Had infection during radiation
    I had radiation to both breasts at the same time -- about 3-4 weeks into it, my right breast was much redder than the left, and felt hot. My radiation oncologist felt that the radiation may have triggered an infection from bacteria left over from surgery, and gave me a course of antibiotics. He didn't stop radiation (and he never mentioned anything about my being large breasted!).

The antibiotics worked very well for me -- if your problem is anything similar to mine, I hope they do just as good a job for you.

Traci
  • GayleMc
    GayleMc Member Posts: 311 Member
    TraciInLA said:

Had infection during radiation
    I had radiation to both breasts at the same time -- about 3-4 weeks into it, my right breast was much redder than the left, and felt hot. My radiation oncologist felt that the radiation may have triggered an infection from bacteria left over from surgery, and gave me a course of antibiotics. He didn't stop radiation (and he never mentioned anything about my being large breasted!).

The antibiotics worked very well for me -- if your problem is anything similar to mine, I hope they do just as good a job for you.

Traci

I also just finished rad #
    I also just finished rad # 11 and I have been fortunate to just now getting tender ( so far ). I do know that my rads onc told me before we even started that everone reacts differntly and there may be times when he feels a breakmof a week ( or two ) might be necessary. I hope this turns out well for you. All the best.