I have new (@)(@)ies!

TawnyS
TawnyS Member Posts: 144 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Well girls, I had my expander surgery last Monday. I got my first fill yesterday....and WHAT THE HECK?!? OUCH! It wasn't so bad when they were filling, but as the day progressed, I thought my boobs were gonna burst! They only put 60cc in each, too! I took valium and a pain killer to get to sleep then I woke up in exactly 4 hours when the meds wore off and the pain was so intense! I had a baby without any pain medication and this pain is equal to that. She told me in two weeks when I am healed she will get...and I quote, "more aggressive with the fills." OMG! I really had no extra skin being that my mastectomy was in August and the surgeon could not salvage any skin. So, my question is....is it standard to take valium (for the muscle spasms) and pain meds for the day of and throughout the night of the fill? Luckily she offered me a new valium Rx, but not a new pain Rx. Today I feel like I can go without heavy meds and get by with tylenol, but probably not by tonight. What's everyone's take on this? Why do we worry about asking for pain medicine? Help!

Comments

24242 Member Posts: 1,398
    The Strength you have
    Wow I am sorry it so painful. I never put myself through that though surgeon left skin for reconstruction. I don't do well with the pain thing and admire you all so much who manage to have another child let alone more surgery.
    My belief is no one should have to suffer in 2010 or for that matter ever. Managing pain is the best we can do since it is traumatic for the body. Keeping it low key is the key and sometimes won't ever end but shouldn't have to suffer. There are so many things they now know about pain and keeping us out of it is a good thing. Abuse of meds is a bad thing and some of us just don't like taking them until absolutely necessary.
    Chemo we medicated before nausea set in and continued until a few days after just to try and keep it at bay. I think the same about the pain.
    Good luck with the increases you have to go through yet.
    Tara
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Gentle hug to you
    Tawny, I didn't have a mastectomy, so I don't have any advice to offer you....but I just wanted to say that your subject line made me laugh out loud, and your beautiful picture always makes me smile.

Traci
  • TawnyS
    TraciInLA said:

Gentle hug to you
    Tawny, I didn't have a mastectomy, so I don't have any advice to offer you....but I just wanted to say that your subject line made me laugh out loud, and your beautiful picture always makes me smile.

Traci

Thanks so much for the compliment!
    Your picture makes me smile as well! :) I love it when people update their pictures and I love looking at expression pages. I think it is great for everyone to share their family photos and their own progress with the big bc battle! I saw that symbol (@)(@) on a tshirt and just thought it was so hilarious! I use it anytime I can! Except mine right now are just (--)(--). No nips yet...but later! :)
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    TawnyS said:

Thanks so much for the compliment!
    Your picture makes me smile as well! :) I love it when people update their pictures and I love looking at expression pages. I think it is great for everyone to share their family photos and their own progress with the big bc battle! I saw that symbol (@)(@) on a tshirt and just thought it was so hilarious! I use it anytime I can! Except mine right now are just (--)(--). No nips yet...but later! :)

I also did not have a
    I also did not have a mastectomy, nor any reconstruction on the lumpectomy breast, so I cannot address your pain issues. I love your picture, and just wanted to send you healing thoughts and hope all goes well SOON!

Hugs,

( . )(/.) Off--Kilter Breast with Lumpectomy Scar! LOL

Chen♥
  • m-star
    m-star Member Posts: 441
    chenheart said:

I also did not have a
    I also did not have a mastectomy, nor any reconstruction on the lumpectomy breast, so I cannot address your pain issues. I love your picture, and just wanted to send you healing thoughts and hope all goes well SOON!

Hugs,

( . )(/.) Off--Kilter Breast with Lumpectomy Scar! LOL

Chen♥

HELL YES!!!
    If your pain was anything like mine at times, you'll def need something like a valium at night for the 1st night-maybe 2 nights-to relax you to help you sleep better. I would try and just take a higher strengh over the counter pain killer for the rest of the time those first couple days.

After all my fills so far,i have taken pain med's for the 1st 48 hours after. Some fills may hurt more than others,but if they are too aggressive with the fills, you MUST tell them and they can take out some of the saline.

Remember,its not a race! lol Do not suffer in silence.Listen to your body. Another useful link:
    http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/44/topic/691962?page=96

I'm a member on this site and i use it LOADS!!!! =D The discomfort from the TE's usually lessens as you get topped up more. This is because the TE's get fuller so can't move about in the pocket.When they are pretty empty,they move and rub inside where it's still raw. Don't be afraid to ask for pain med's/valium. Some women on that site recommend another muscle relaxer for the fills. I think it begins with 'f'.you can always ask them.Your med's differ to ours! lol
    hope all is going well apart from the pain hun.

thinking of ya!

xx
  • m-star
    m-star said:

HELL YES!!!
    If your pain was anything like mine at times, you'll def need something like a valium at night for the 1st night-maybe 2 nights-to relax you to help you sleep better. I would try and just take a higher strengh over the counter pain killer for the rest of the time those first couple days.

After all my fills so far,i have taken pain med's for the 1st 48 hours after. Some fills may hurt more than others,but if they are too aggressive with the fills, you MUST tell them and they can take out some of the saline.

Remember,its not a race! lol Do not suffer in silence.Listen to your body. Another useful link:
    http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/44/topic/691962?page=96

I'm a member on this site and i use it LOADS!!!! =D The discomfort from the TE's usually lessens as you get topped up more. This is because the TE's get fuller so can't move about in the pocket.When they are pretty empty,they move and rub inside where it's still raw. Don't be afraid to ask for pain med's/valium. Some women on that site recommend another muscle relaxer for the fills. I think it begins with 'f'.you can always ask them.Your med's differ to ours! lol
    hope all is going well apart from the pain hun.

thinking of ya!

xx

Flexirile!
    i just popped on and had a look. That whats alot of the ladies recommend as a muscle relaxer. I took a muscle relaxer 1 hour BEFORE my fill the last 2 times,along with a mild pain killer.Then saved the heavy stuff for bed time. If you are unable to sleep on your sides,lay on your back propped up,and put a firm pillow (or 2) onder your knees. This will take pressure off your spine as it aligns it correctly and helps prevent back ache.
    I tried this last night for the 1st time and it was heaven!! No back ache this morning!
  • greyhoundluvr
    greyhoundluvr Member Posts: 402
    TawnyS
    I had a bilateral Jan 29th and had the tissue expanders put in immediately. My PS is the same way yours is - very conservative when it comes to the controlled substances. I found the initial expansions fairly uncomfortable but it got better with each one. He told me to take advil and usually that worked until they loosened up in a day or two. But you did just have them put in and the expanders are moore painful than having implants so if it is keeping you up at night, I would tell your PS that and ask for some pain meds. They can certainly give you a small amount but make sure you are able to get comofortable. And I agree - your picture is beautiful!

Chris
  • Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    m-star said:

Flexirile!
    i just popped on and had a look. That whats alot of the ladies recommend as a muscle relaxer. I took a muscle relaxer 1 hour BEFORE my fill the last 2 times,along with a mild pain killer.Then saved the heavy stuff for bed time. If you are unable to sleep on your sides,lay on your back propped up,and put a firm pillow (or 2) onder your knees. This will take pressure off your spine as it aligns it correctly and helps prevent back ache.
    I tried this last night for the 1st time and it was heaven!! No back ache this morning!

That's what I take
    I agree with everything that's been said.

My first fill was 60cc's, and it's never been that much again. Then it was 50cc's for the 2&3. The last two times it has been 40 and it has been the most painful yet.

I take the flexirile the day of the fills and the day after. This last fill, however, I've taken it more often.

Tell them how much you hurt. And while, yes, pain is to be expected, you shouldn't have to suffer like that and they can reduce how much saline they put in. I also take advil, for the swelling and tylenol for the pain.

Hope it gets better,
    dh
  • lezlie
    lezlie Member Posts: 2
    YOU!
    Hi! I had expanders put in at time of mast.(dbl) April 2, 2010. So, I think that has made a differnce in pain control as I had time to heal from initial surgery. First fill was surprisingly easy, and same w/ 2 subsequent fills (60ml).(Noone suggested Flexeril b4 or after fill, but I had a prescription and knew to take it) I take Aleve or other ibuprophen and Vicodin, as needed. As time goes on you will only feel a pressure as neddle goes in. Doesn't it feel like an elephant sat on your chest or you were kicked by a horse??? I will not be able to get my old size back as so much skin taken. Sad face. But, my Dr. says I may get close, but they certainly won't sag!! I wouldn't mind a little movement though. Do you have nipples? What do you plan to do?? keep strong
  • TawnyS
    Alright...I'm asking for drugs!
    I knew you all would give me the 411 on this! I do feel better today with just the tylenol, but tonight I am taking something a bit stronger. So, I am thinking she is wanting to do 90cc's each time from here on out. I am going to be pumped up to.....hold on to your wigs girls....800 to 900cc's! I was a D cup before and I am planning on 700cc silicone implants, but from what I understand they fill the expanders a little bigger? 700cc's should give me a full C? If I get 900's I plan on getting a job that will quickly pay off all my medical bills....if you know what I mean! WINK/WINK NUDGE/NUDGE! JUST KIDDING! Anyway, the dilemma is this....my PS is pregnant....by my calculations I should be full around her due date. So fine. I know expanders can stay in for whatever length of time and it wouldn't be a big hurry to do the switcheroo until she is back from her maternity leave. Well, I am doing the Komen 3day Oct 29,30,&31 and I really don't want to do heavy duty training for the walk with boulders in my chest! I need to start training in a few weeks which is fine, but it looks like the majority of my training will have to be with the expanders in there. Then, if she does have her baby before I get my implants, where will that put me on the totum pole when she does get back to work? I'm sure women that are newly diagnosed with bc and are given the okay to start the reconstruction process along with the mastectomies will have priority...rightly so. She is a high demand PS. What if I have to walk the 3day with 900cc's of concrete in my chest! I know...I know...I should be asking her this. Oh, why do we worry ourselves with the what if's? Everything usually works out fine and I have wasted all this time concocting craziness in my head! OCD...what can I say. :)
  • lezlie
    lezlie Member Posts: 2
    TawnyS said:

I knew you all would give me the 411 on this! I do feel better today with just the tylenol, but tonight I am taking something a bit stronger. So, I am thinking she is wanting to do 90cc's each time from here on out. I am going to be pumped up to.....hold on to your wigs girls....800 to 900cc's! I was a D cup before and I am planning on 700cc silicone implants, but from what I understand they fill the expanders a little bigger? 700cc's should give me a full C? If I get 900's I plan on getting a job that will quickly pay off all my medical bills....if you know what I mean! WINK/WINK NUDGE/NUDGE! JUST KIDDING! Anyway, the dilemma is this....my PS is pregnant....by my calculations I should be full around her due date. So fine. I know expanders can stay in for whatever length of time and it wouldn't be a big hurry to do the switcheroo until she is back from her maternity leave. Well, I am doing the Komen 3day Oct 29,30,&31 and I really don't want to do heavy duty training for the walk with boulders in my chest! I need to start training in a few weeks which is fine, but it looks like the majority of my training will have to be with the expanders in there. Then, if she does have her baby before I get my implants, where will that put me on the totum pole when she does get back to work? I'm sure women that are newly diagnosed with bc and are given the okay to start the reconstruction process along with the mastectomies will have priority...rightly so. She is a high demand PS. What if I have to walk the 3day with 900cc's of concrete in my chest! I know...I know...I should be asking her this. Oh, why do we worry ourselves with the what if's? Everything usually works out fine and I have wasted all this time concocting craziness in my head! OCD...what can I say. :)

size
    Hi Tawny! Gee, you look so young, sorry this happened to you (too). Anyway, all I know is what they do to me..they give me 60cc each week to 10 days. Yes, they fill you up to a cup size larger than what you want. I was a C/D and would like to be a full C again, but I was told I don't have enough skin to accomodate, as skin and nipples removed. You too? Dr. said if I wanted I could have skin taken from hips or some such place to place on the breast area to become my C/D. I don't want to do that. Hope you are feeling better. p.s. Do you girls know about taking "milk thistle" supplement for your liver if you are going through chemo? Or for any toxin, really...alcohol, drugs etc.
  • Christine Louise
    Christine Louise Member Posts: 426 Member
    TawnyS said:

Can you schedule a surgery date now?
    I was able to schedule my expander/implant exchange date a long ways in advance. Keeping that surgery date will only be dependent on my blood counts (after chemo) being up high enough that surgery will be safe. Is it not possible for you to go ahead and schedule the surgery so you're sure you're on the totem pole?
  • kate33
    kate33 Member Posts: 24
    I have new (@)(@)ies!
    Tawny-I was having some challenges with my fills as well. I was in a hurry to get it done so I could have my exchange surgery sooner but it SO wasn't worth it. I started out doing fills of 100 cc's and towards the end was only doing 25. I was miserable until I started taking the Flexerile. I took it 3 x day continuously and it made a huge difference. The pain is usually your pec muscles that are now on the top of your breast so they are getting stretched. The Flexerile, a muscle relaxant, helps loosen them. It is a very inexpensive drug, too. Warm showers, gentle stretches and massages help as well. I did take Percoset during the day at first and Valium at night but I was still recovering from my MX at that time as well. Now I just take the Flexerile and nothing else.
  • m-star
    kate33 said:

I have new (@)(@)ies!
    Tawny-I was having some challenges with my fills as well. I was in a hurry to get it done so I could have my exchange surgery sooner but it SO wasn't worth it. I started out doing fills of 100 cc's and towards the end was only doing 25. I was miserable until I started taking the Flexerile. I took it 3 x day continuously and it made a huge difference. The pain is usually your pec muscles that are now on the top of your breast so they are getting stretched. The Flexerile, a muscle relaxant, helps loosen them. It is a very inexpensive drug, too. Warm showers, gentle stretches and massages help as well. I did take Percoset during the day at first and Valium at night but I was still recovering from my MX at that time as well. Now I just take the Flexerile and nothing else.

KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE!!!!!!!!!!!
    HI!
    Nice to see you on here! Im STILL struggling with the '5 post' thing on BC.ORG but have emailed admin to see whats what. Between this site and BC.O i have got loads of really good support and info.

Tawny~the stretching definatly helps loads. The last fill i had has been my easiest yet.I stretched every 15-20 mins after my fill for about 36 hours and the difference it made was amazing. I just hope it wasn'ta coincidence or i'm screwed on my next fill! LOL

Hope you're feeling a little better today

((hugs))
    Kay