Update

aprillorey
aprillorey Member Posts: 104
edited March 2014 in Uterine/Endometrial Cancer #1
well i thought i would add an update i saw a 2nd cancer doctor last week who told me to stick with the old one and said to go a head and do the radition. so i guse this is what i will be doing. i go back on may 26th i believe it is,

Things are slowly beter the meds i am on helps with my tummy sickness im slowly geting my Bowls back on track as i went off all pain meds how ever my cut is still braking open and bleeding they clam it will and its Normal but i cant stand the sight of it of course.

i have some lower pains but im doing ok

the DR says im in remison of cancer but can not be cancer free for 5 years he expilan alot more to me anyways the radition will start some time in june not looking forward so any advice on that would be good

thanks

April

Comments

• nempark
    nempark Member Posts: 681
    thanks for keeping in touch
    April, I had a friend who did radiation and she told me she went to work afterwards. So I guess its not too bad after all. Keep well and remember one day this will be in the past. Hugs June.
  • norma2
    norma2 Member Posts: 479
    Radiation
    When you go for your initial radiation session they can answer any questions you may have. I had cisplatin chemo in conjunction with the radiation. The radiation sometimes makes people have diahrrea and the cisplatin does the oppositie. So they are give together to counter-act the side effects of the other. I had some diahrrea. It was kind of intense for a while. I survived it and I am 60 yrs old. Drink plenty fluids and ask what kind of meds you can take to help. There are over the counter ones that combat the diahrrea. You might also want to eat a low fiber diet for the time you are on radiation. The nutritionist they referred me to recommended it. That helped some.

I had my radiation in Nov/2009 thru Dec/2009. While it seemed like it was forever, looking back it passed quickly. I feel great now and have no lingering side effects. I find it helpful to look at the positive. The radiation kills cancer. And I sure want the cancer gone. So I will endure anything to make make it go away.

Here is hoping you have an easy time with it. Norma
  • aprillorey
    norma2 said:

Radiation
    When you go for your initial radiation session they can answer any questions you may have. I had cisplatin chemo in conjunction with the radiation. The radiation sometimes makes people have diahrrea and the cisplatin does the oppositie. So they are give together to counter-act the side effects of the other. I had some diahrrea. It was kind of intense for a while. I survived it and I am 60 yrs old. Drink plenty fluids and ask what kind of meds you can take to help. There are over the counter ones that combat the diahrrea. You might also want to eat a low fiber diet for the time you are on radiation. The nutritionist they referred me to recommended it. That helped some.

I had my radiation in Nov/2009 thru Dec/2009. While it seemed like it was forever, looking back it passed quickly. I feel great now and have no lingering side effects. I find it helpful to look at the positive. The radiation kills cancer. And I sure want the cancer gone. So I will endure anything to make make it go away.

Here is hoping you have an easy time with it. Norma

Thank you ladys for the
    Thank you ladys for the advice and thank you Norma for giving me the advice bad thing was the surgery made it so my bowls wasnt moving they are just now back on track i would dis like the Diagrrea part but if that is all that happens i think i can handle it im like you ill do anything to keep the cancer away i will only undergo 5 rounds through my woman part is what they say so im sure it will not be that bad but im the type who dislikes any pain LOL so im unsure how all of this will go anyways thanks so much norma for advice :)
  • Michaelynn
    Michaelynn Member Posts: 85 Member
    Vaginal radiation
    I go Wednesday for my third and last treatment of internal vaginal radiation. They will do a simulation with you before you begin the actual treatments. When I go in I get undressed from the waist down and lie on a small bed. They then insert a glass cylinder into the vagina they use lots of lube and it is covered by a rubber(they have all different sizes and the doctor will pick the best size for your shape). If you have ever used a dildo the cylinder feels like that. They have a Plexiglas contraption that hold it in place (kind of pushes up against it). They then bring in a machine to xray to make sure it is in the proper place (deep enough to target the vaginal cuff). Then they hook a tube from the glass cylinder to the radiation machine. They close the metal doors and leave me alone in the room. The tech then comes on the microphone and says the treatment is beginning and the machine starts to whirl and make a noise as it starts up. Then the radiation flows through the connecting tube (like fish tank tubing). They play music for you while your having the treatment. Half way through the tech lets me know I am 1/2 way done. At 1 minute he will tell me we are about finished and then when the minute is up he will tell me the treatment is over and the machine makes a whirling noise again and then shuts off. He then comes in with his little radio active machine to make sure I don't have any lingering radiation. the cylinder is removed and I can go home. My treatments (actual radiation) lasts 10 minutes and you don't feel anything while it is happening. I have had slight bleeding afterward maybe a couple of pink spots on the toilet paper the day of the treatment. Also had loose stools about day 2-3 after the treatment but not actually diarrhea. Have had some bladder problems as in feeling the need to go more often but nothing to bad. Hope this helps.
  • Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member
    Hi April:
    I am glad you are

Hi April:

I am glad you are starting to feel better. It will take awhile for your scar to heal. After my one surgery, (although I got an infection), they took out the staples and just left the whole wound open. It took over 6 weeks for it to finally start to heal. I had to have it packed daily. I was, of course, shocked that I would be walking around with an "open wound", but it does eventually close up and heal.

You will get aches and pains while you are healing and every once in a while.

By the way, I had three brachy radiations. Other than the awkwardness of the treatment, it is really painless and quick.

Keep well.

Kathy
  • aprillorey
    Kaleena said:

Hi April:
    I am glad you are

Hi April:

I am glad you are starting to feel better. It will take awhile for your scar to heal. After my one surgery, (although I got an infection), they took out the staples and just left the whole wound open. It took over 6 weeks for it to finally start to heal. I had to have it packed daily. I was, of course, shocked that I would be walking around with an "open wound", but it does eventually close up and heal.

You will get aches and pains while you are healing and every once in a while.

By the way, I had three brachy radiations. Other than the awkwardness of the treatment, it is really painless and quick.

Keep well.

Kathy

Hi ladys
    no i never used a

Hi ladys

no i never used a dildo so i dont no what that feels like lol. thank you for expilaning to me every thing that happens i hope they let me pick my own music it helps to no what will happen because i was freaked out about having it done spoting blood pinkish probley will scare me but since i no to Expect that ill no what it is thanks for explaning all things to me again this has helped me

Kathy

thanks for explaning about the scare issue to me. i didnt get staples they put glue on it kinda odd since it was a very very big cut like a CSecon type cute but the glue is starting to come off and its scabed over the belly button area hurts and smells so i need to get it cleaned up

thaks so much for helpen me ladys
  • Always Hopeful
    Always Hopeful Member Posts: 234

Vaginal radiation
    I go Wednesday for my third and last treatment of internal vaginal radiation. They will do a simulation with you before you begin the actual treatments. When I go in I get undressed from the waist down and lie on a small bed. They then insert a glass cylinder into the vagina they use lots of lube and it is covered by a rubber(they have all different sizes and the doctor will pick the best size for your shape). If you have ever used a dildo the cylinder feels like that. They have a Plexiglas contraption that hold it in place (kind of pushes up against it). They then bring in a machine to xray to make sure it is in the proper place (deep enough to target the vaginal cuff). Then they hook a tube from the glass cylinder to the radiation machine. They close the metal doors and leave me alone in the room. The tech then comes on the microphone and says the treatment is beginning and the machine starts to whirl and make a noise as it starts up. Then the radiation flows through the connecting tube (like fish tank tubing). They play music for you while your having the treatment. Half way through the tech lets me know I am 1/2 way done. At 1 minute he will tell me we are about finished and then when the minute is up he will tell me the treatment is over and the machine makes a whirling noise again and then shuts off. He then comes in with his little radio active machine to make sure I don't have any lingering radiation. the cylinder is removed and I can go home. My treatments (actual radiation) lasts 10 minutes and you don't feel anything while it is happening. I have had slight bleeding afterward maybe a couple of pink spots on the toilet paper the day of the treatment. Also had loose stools about day 2-3 after the treatment but not actually diarrhea. Have had some bladder problems as in feeling the need to go more often but nothing to bad. Hope this helps.

Internal Radiation
    Dear Michaelynn,

I will be going for internal radiation after my chemo. I am so thankful that you shared the specifics of the procedure. My gyne onc prefers to deal with one thing at a time, unless I ask for more info. I was debating calling her, even though the earliest my radiation will begin will be Sept. You have saved me the phone call thanks to your detailed description. Other sisters have mentioned that their tech was a guy. I'm so used to having only female docs etc. I guess in the total scheme of things, this is just another thing to deal with.

Again, thank you so much for your sharing.

Peace and hope,

JJ
  • Always Hopeful

Vaginal radiation

Internal Radiation
    Dear Michaelynn,

I will be going for internal radiation after my chemo. I am so thankful that you shared the specifics of the procedure. My gyne onc prefers to deal with one thing at a time, unless I ask for more info. I was debating calling her, even though the earliest my radiation will begin will be Sept. You have saved me the phone call thanks to your detailed description. Other sisters have mentioned that their tech was a guy. I'm so used to having only female docs etc. I guess in the total scheme of things, this is just another thing to deal with.

Peace and hope,

JJ
  • Always Hopeful

Vaginal radiation

Internal Radiation
    Dear Michaelynn,

Peace and hope,

JJ