Anniversary

Somie8
Somie8 Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hello:
I just past my one year anniversary of being told I had BC. I was lucky! I had 38 treatments of radiation and no chemo. Still feel the effects of radiation in breast and I had to undergo another biopsy in Feb. in same breast for another lump. Thank God benign!
Here is my question. I plowed through everything after diagnoses and not really taking time to let it affect me. I had 2 kids and a husband and have always been happy and strong.
Now I feel all these emotions have overcome me on 1st anniversary dates: date of lumpectomy; date of being told; date of meeting with my team for 6 hours on the 20th; Day of first treatment; day of last treatment; than skin cancer from radiation treatment. I had a crazy few months to follow after starting tamoxifen. Three months in, I ended up with an enlarged ovary and emergency surgery. Fourteen day later in the hospital with blood clots in lung because of cancer, surgery, and tamoxifen. By then we found the next lump and went through injections before taken warfarin. Then right ovary enlarged because of tamoxifen. Off of tamoxifen now.
This week I have to undergo three days of injections and testing for thyroglobulin from thyroid cancer back in '01.
I'm sleeping fine, leading a normal life, eating. Just around the week of a year out event I get emotional trying to cope. Not sure if it is because I didn't really face it the first time or because it is normal.
Insight please? I feel like I’m not myself. It’s been a crazy medical year from hell.

Comments

• elm3544
    elm3544 Member Posts: 748
    Well you certainly have been
    Well you certainly have been through alot in the past year. It sounds like you have been being brave for everyone else. It is understandable to feel you are on an emotional rollercoaster now! Its been over a year since I was diagnosed and I still get overwhelmed with emotion sometimes just looking back on the past year.
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Normal reaction.....
    It's a mild form of post traumatic stress. And, it's something that has changed you life.

Think of what it was like right after you graduated from high school. All you could think about was how much you missed your friends, and a bit nervous about what the future will bring. Then after a few months, you adjusted bit by bit, until you no longer even felt like that high school graduate, you had so many new things, both bad and good, going on.

This will happen with your last year experience, as well. It fades, but will always be a part of you, since it was such a life changing experience!

Hugs, Kathi
  • karinna
    karinna Member Posts: 42
    You have been through so
    You have been through so much. You are allowed emotional moments. Sometimes for me its a scene in a movie or noticing a cancer patient in passing while shopping. The 2 year anniversary for completing chemo. I do believe it is normal and to be expected that we would have emotional struggles from time to time.

All in all, it sounds like you are doing amazingly well considering your extremely difficult year.

Blessings,
    Karinna