I know

autumnskisses
autumnskisses Member Posts: 8
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I know that everyone gets scared when going to their first chemo session. I have handled everything with humor, but, now with the reality of starting chemo on Thursday, I am truly afraid, getting mre afraid as each day dawns. It is like the reality is setting in. Thanks to the wonderful lady who posted the site for the free scarf, I have ordered it already.
Debbie

Comments

• lizziejane
    lizziejane Member Posts: 69
    I KNOW
    I WAS PETRIFIED BEFORE MY FIRST CHEMO, BUT IT WAS SO MUCH BETTER THAN I HAD THOUGHT IT WOULD BE...DO YOU HAVE A PORT?, I DO AND AM VERY GRATEFUL MY DAUGHTER INSISTED THAT I GET ONE.
    I STILL HAVE HERCEPTIN INFUSIONS, FINISHED CHEMO ON 1-29-10....AM GLAD THEY ARE OVER, BUT THEY ARE VERY DOABLE....I DIDN'T GET SICK, MOSTLY TIRED, TIRED AND MORE TIRED...YOU'LL BE IN MY THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS...HOPE IT ALL GOES WELL FOR YOU....DON'T KNOW WHICH SITE YOU ORDERED FROM, BUT HERE ARE SOME THAT ARE AWESOME....WWW.HEAVENLYHATS.COM WWW.HATSOFFTOCHEMO.ORG
    WWW.FRANCELUXE.COM GO TO THE GOOD WISHED LINK ETSY.COM
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    (((((hugs))))) to you~ I
    (((((hugs))))) to you~ I dare say, most of us certainly understand your fear! When I had my first infusion I cried like a baby... chemo seemed somehow to make the cancer more real than even the surgery did. And knowing I was getting poison pumped into my veins didn't make it any better!

But ya know, after that first time, the subsequent ones were just fine! It was that Big Unknown Fear which threw me for a loop. The chemo nurses were so sweet, supportive and ready to help me that honestly, by my 3rd infusion it was like going to an every 3 week reunion with friends.

Except for the inevitable hair loss, which I hated, and the cumulative tiredness, I had relatively few side-effects. And my medical team was more than ready to be at my beck and call, that I practically had them on speed-dial! And they didn't mind at all!

Everyone there knows we are afraid. They also want us to get well and beat this beast! Don't hesitate to post in here, and by all means, if anything scares you or confuses you, ask the staff! That's why they are there, to help you kick a$$ and move on to Life After Cancer!

Hold tight...it isn't fun, but you can and will do this!

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • GayleMc
    GayleMc Member Posts: 311 Member
    chenheart said:

(((((hugs))))) to you~ I
    (((((hugs))))) to you~ I dare say, most of us certainly understand your fear! When I had my first infusion I cried like a baby... chemo seemed somehow to make the cancer more real than even the surgery did. And knowing I was getting poison pumped into my veins didn't make it any better!

But ya know, after that first time, the subsequent ones were just fine! It was that Big Unknown Fear which threw me for a loop. The chemo nurses were so sweet, supportive and ready to help me that honestly, by my 3rd infusion it was like going to an every 3 week reunion with friends.

Except for the inevitable hair loss, which I hated, and the cumulative tiredness, I had relatively few side-effects. And my medical team was more than ready to be at my beck and call, that I practically had them on speed-dial! And they didn't mind at all!

Everyone there knows we are afraid. They also want us to get well and beat this beast! Don't hesitate to post in here, and by all means, if anything scares you or confuses you, ask the staff! That's why they are there, to help you kick a$$ and move on to Life After Cancer!

Hold tight...it isn't fun, but you can and will do this!

Hugs,
    Chen♥

I was really scared also. I
    I was really scared also. I think it goes with the program. But really, it wasn't that bad once I got started. It's okay to be scared and apprehensive. I had cytoxen/taxotere and had a few minor stomach issues, never nauseated. Keep in mind that everyone is different and you may or may not have any disturbing side effects. After much denial I learned that the hair does go and I didn't ( and still don't ) like that but it's starting to grow back six weeks after finish, but not fast enough for me. Best wishes and remember, everone on this site will help and support you. No question was ever to small and I am so glad I could count on these kind and understanding ladies.